Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-03-10, 10:24am
Obsessed Blogger

Default Beads of Courage to Purchase Purple Hearts. Apply now.

Hi Everyone.

Beads of Courage is growing rapidly and to keep up with demand and quality they are starting a program to purchase the important Purple Heart bead for completion of treatment in the oncology program.

If you would like small runs of production work making purple hearts, please see the details here:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly. I cannot manage communications through pm or facebook.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please pass the word to anyone/anywhere you think there might be interested artists. Glass beads only, no pendants with loops or bails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-14, 10:34am
Live and Let Live

Oooh... off to see what purple hearts I can come up with!

Old 2011-03-14, 1:13pm

I made some last week, but none turned out to be the size limit. AUGH. Oh well, can still send them in to be used.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-03-14, 1:31pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I'm working on these as well, hopefully I'll have a bunch by next week sometime.

Old 2011-03-14, 7:12pm
Lampworkaholic!

I just packaged up some Act of Courage and some consignment beads, and there are some heart designs in the consignment lot that may work for the program. If so, I will be happy to work on more purple ones. I
making
s!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-14, 8:32pm

Just left 30 hearts with the Houston Hotties this weekend and saved out six that I think would work for this program. I'll be shipping them in this week for review.

This is a great idea and a wonderful way to insure consistency and quality in the purple hearts.

Old 2011-03-15, 7:22am
Powers Art Studio

Cool idea! Off to draw up some designs!

Old 2011-03-15, 1:15pm
Lampworkaholic!

I have a question. Reading the program submission form information,it says this (and I don't disagree):

What makes a good Purple Heart for the BOC program:
Vibrant, clearly purple color at least 75% of the bead (just because a glass manufacturer calls a color purple, does not make it a nice purple!)

So my question is, what are the best purples to use? Effetre 254 EDP is a purple but seems more pink or rose to me, and there is the devit factor. Is periwinkle considered a purple? The transparent purples and amethysts are not vibrant. Is CiM Thai Orchid too dark? CiM makes Plum, Eggplant, Grape Ape, but none are what I consider vibrant.

I love all the varieties of Violet, soft, bright and new, but again, they are not vibrant. What about lighter purples such as Crocus and Hefalump?

I’m wondering if I should step out of the 104 box and look at Bullseye and 96 options. I have some Gaffer Lavender that is bright, but is it purple? It is similar to ASK Lavender Fields, would that work?

I’m sure there are some good options for layering, such as transparent amethyst over white or periwinkle, but in production mode it would be nice to have a purple base color that was vibrant in its own right.

Ideas?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-16, 4:32pm
Carpe Beadum

I have a question too.

I made a heart that turned out to be 1 1/2" from top to bottom (because I was worried about making it too small) and I have to say, this heart is HUGE. I often make long beads, but in a heart, it's so wide in addition to being tall. It took more than a full rod of glass, and that was for a flat heart, not a dimensional one. Even so, I'm worried the transparant purple will turn out looking black.

I'd appreciate if you can confirm the size, because that seems awfully large for a child. Is there a reason they have to be so big?

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2011-03-17, 11:26am

I'd be willing to do it but I can't make two exact of anything.

Mine would all end up being similar but different!!

Old 2011-03-17, 12:17pm
aka Spawn Of Flame

After making a couple of these to the spec size, I was surprised at the size of this bead also. It seems quite heavy in the hand.

--
--
--

Old 2011-03-17, 6:53pm
Obsessed Blogger

Hi erose. Liz? Elizabeth?

I guess that vibrant is a relative term. Vibrant in this case meaning PURPLE...knowing it is a PURPLE heart when you look at it. We are trying to convey the fact that some of those moretti purples are yucky...almost brown without putting it down? I think that periwinkle is more of a blue, straight off the rod however, there is probably layering that could make parts of it purple.

I use a combination of transparent dark lavender and ink blue and get a nice purple. Lavenders are ok too if they convey PURPLE heart to the viewer. We will be ordering varieties of hearts and mix them up for the hospitals in their orders. One child may not like a lavender while, for another, it might be the exact right one.

It is free to submit so why not give one a try?

Old 2011-03-17, 7:06pm
Obsessed Blogger

1.25" is indeed the size.

This is THE BEAD that every child covets. We want it to make a statement and honor their entire journey.

Here is an example of some of the ones I made that the sizing was based on, for an example:

Old 2011-03-17, 7:41pm

Lori, does it need to be 1.25 in both ways or just one?

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-03-17, 7:44pm
Lampworkaholic!

Those are great Lori. I think mine may be too dark. I am going to pull out some lavender blue tomorrow, pastel and transparent, also some CiM Eggplant, and see how those work out.

Liz

Old 2011-03-17, 8:02pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I love those Lori! I'm relieved to see green and red and orange on those. Those are colors that I'm using and I'm like, wow, that's bright!
I love it and I'm hoping kids will. It's just nice to see someone else is using those colors.

Old 2011-03-18, 5:10am
StudioMarcy

Is there a deadline in which to have this application in by?
ps I think this is cool!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-03-18, 5:44am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Can the hearts be the kind with the hole on a lobe with a jump ring? This is boro.

Old 2011-03-20, 1:41pm
Carpe Beadum

Thanks for the clarification, Lori, and for the picture. That helps immensely. My bead is much bigger and much wider than yours. I can see your style/shape would be much more wearable than mine, since it's far more narrow along most of it's length. I'll have to give your shape a try.

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung
Old 2011-03-20, 5:13pm

I had an email convo with Lori about the specs. It is 1.25" in either direction ... does not need to be both.

If you pull down the application paperwork there is a lot of info there. My understanding is that they cannot be pendants (pierced lobes or loops) but must be beads made on a 3/32" mandrel either vertical or horizontal hole.

Also it can be more than just purple (I think the number was like 75% purple) and can have other color decoration. No surface metal or reductions.

They are taking apps continuously. This is just the first round of selections to get started.

If you are looking for quick responses ... I recommend emailing Lori at her address in her first post. She doesn't make it here everyday.

I'm playing with a few ideas for designs myself but because of work commitments probably won't be able to submit anything for jurying until May.

Old 2011-03-21, 11:19am
Obsessed Blogger

Thanks Laura!

Just one more clarification....Debbie, your hole style will work. It can be pierced it just can't have a loop or extended hole like a lot of the boro hearts do. We want to make sure that they're as sturdy as possible.

We know that boro is sturdy but feel that the loops won't give the longevity that we want these to have when it comes to kids and for the rest of their lives to help tell their stories. (I know that I drop beads on the glass tile all the time...solid ones hold up much better!)

Loops not only protrude but have another point of contact/joining of the glass that can often be a point of breakage. While I know this and you know this, I will not always be the one doing quality control and inspection so, to play it safe we are requiring a full-on hole/pierce through the bead.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the question being asked here so that all can see and search for it but yes, contacting me directly via email is always best if you need a quick answer!

Old 2011-03-21, 11:49am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Whew, because I just bought a bunch of the purples I need to make this style, regardless of whether I am picked or not.

Old 2011-03-25, 9:03pm

ooh, I've been working on an easy to produce heart shape for the program. I'll have to get my butt in gear and play with purple.

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-03-27, 10:13pm
Ad astra per aspera

Dangit, mine are all coming up to 1", not 1.25. I seem to have a 1" instinct. Back to the drawing board.

Old 2011-03-29, 7:59am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Is there a deadline in which to have this application in by?
ps I think this is cool!
Marcy, the PDF says there is no deadline, but they start ordering from the first submissions in March, so the earlier the better. The PDF also says they will keep Artists on file for consideration throughout the year.

I made Critter Heads on Purple Hearts, but now I'm thinking of ways I could embellish the hearts... they seem boring to me now. Why can we ALWAYS rework and make it better? I just sent my samples, and OF COURSE made them to small... I missed the size requirement in my excitement as I read the PDF. But they will be made to size if BOC decides they like the design.

It would be wonderful to see the designs you all are creating and submitting.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-03-29 at 11:28am.
Old 2011-03-29, 11:04am
Obsessed Blogger

Hi everyone.

We need to have the 1.25" size in hand to be considered. Actual samples are what our sometimes non-bead-world volunteers need to work from.

Old 2011-03-29, 11:27am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Hi everyone.

We need to have the 1.25" size in hand to be considered. Actual samples are what our sometimes non-bead-world volunteers need to work from.

Thank you for this heads up. I for one will have to resend my samples. Mine were undersized

That will teach me to read SLOWLY when I get excited! I hope what I sent can be used elsewhere.
Old 2011-03-29, 11:57am
Critter Mom

I like doing hearts and don't get much opportunity to use my BE purples, so I'm not sure if any of them will be appropriate. I think I'll spend the day experimenting and see if I can come up with something that'll work.

Old 2011-04-01, 9:45am

I've been through a heart making kick recently and just seen this! What a cool idea. Think I'll make some with this end in mind!

I have a hard time making anything under 1 1/2" so is there a maximum size I should stick with?

Old 2011-04-01, 2:54pm

Bonnie, BE Violet Striker is a perfect purple for BOC hearts. I love that color! Makes me want to go out to my studio and make some purple hearts right now.