No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-16, 7:14pm
GlassDocNC

I just opened the box containing the metallic black from the last shippment. I couldn't resist making "just one" bead even though I didn't have the opportunity for prolonged playtime. (Heck, I didn't even unwrap the other colors in the box.) It looks great on Moretti ivory with a black interface and metallic shiny center to the dots I applied. I didn't have the kiln turned on or the vermiculite handy so this beadie is probably toast. But I'll try this combo in more detail next time I have a couple hours to play!

Marina B.
Old 2009-11-16, 7:48pm

Smile

Thanks Shawnette- I appreciate you taking the time to help me- I will try that! Hope it works, I love the color of the glass! Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-16, 8:27pm

Marina: Maybe that bead on Moretti Ivory, will survive. If so, could you please post a picture? Thanks, I would love to see it.

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2009-11-17, 10:49am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by redayh View Post
Has anyone else had trouble encasing? Everytime I encase any color of devadi, it gets thermal looking cracks. I've used both vetro and devardi clear.

Hi Redayh,

I used Devardi clear to encase this Devardi Pink, and had no problem. I applied some of the Metallic Black Frit and then encased it and then twisted it to expose some of the frit to air and get a mix of silver and black on this test bead.

I have also used Moretti clear with the Devardi and had no problem.

I like to pull clear stringers and wrap the bead for a thin coat sometimes. Hope that helps.
Old 2009-11-17, 11:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Question On Presses or Open Shaping Marvers

Has anyone used both open Marvers and the two-piece presses to shape Devardi with yet?

Do you prefer an open Marver-style tool like the ones at
http://cgbeads.com/beads_videos.html

or do you find Devardi works best in a top and bottom Press like the zoozii?
http://www.zooziis.com/lentiltrio.aspx

I want to use a round, a cylinder and a lentil shaped tool. So before I buy I wanted to ask for input.

Thanks!
Old 2009-11-17, 11:05am

I have a lentil press and a pillow press that I have used with Devardi and they work just fine. I plan on also getting the bead rollers as those are a bit different to use and you get different effects I think. The press will do both sides the same, I think the bead rollers will only work for cylinder type beads that are rounded on all sides. I am planning on getting some bead rollers in the future to compliment the presses. The presses are fun though once you figure out how much glass you need on the mandrel for it to come out right lol~

Old 2009-11-17, 11:35am

I like the straight sided lentil, from zooziis. The slim one.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-17, 12:19pm
Semi Retired

For lentils, I use Jim Moore's tongs.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-11-17, 1:02pm
one day at a time

Who would like to see what can be done with frit and this glass as the base colors for them?? I am really excited because many of these colors aren't in the other lines, and I'm dying to see what they will look like with frits melted in, raked, swirled, stringered, you name it.

I've made thousands of beads over the last six years with 104 glass bases and non-encased leaded frits like Kugler, Reichenbach, and some of Gaffer's. Never had any cracking problems, and never had any broken beads mailed back to me!

I prefer to use the smaller size frits, like #0 and #00 on 104 glass, surface only, just to be on the safe side. I use the Uroboros rods without a worry with any 92-96COE frit.

I've been too busy with Etsy, but as soon as I get a break, I'll get something done and post the pictures here.
Old 2009-11-17, 1:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
I have a lentil press and a pillow press that I have used with Devardi and they work just fine. I plan on also getting the bead rollers as those are a bit different to use and you get different effects I think. The press will do both sides the same, I think the bead rollers will only work for cylinder type beads that are rounded on all sides. I am planning on getting some bead rollers in the future to compliment the presses. The presses are fun though once you figure out how much glass you need on the mandrel for it to come out right lol~
I've got a couple of brass presses and a beadroller. My next purchase of shaping tools will be bead rollers.

The final results can be squished, making tab shapes. Plus, I can use any size mandrels (smaller than the hole) with the biggest holed version, making it really handy for me. And the beads nearly clear the clasps on my biggest multi-strand and suede cords, yay, when made with the largest mandrels I have.
Old 2009-11-17, 2:19pm
Semi Retired

Hi Lisi, I think that is an excellent idea. Maybe we can start a thread in the gallery. I have some I can show too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
Who would like to see what can be done with frit and this glass as the base colors for them?? I am really excited because many of these colors aren't in the other lines, and I'm dying to see what they will look like with frits melted in, raked, swirled, stringered, you name it.

I've made thousands of beads over the last six years with 104 glass bases and non-encased leaded frits like Kugler, Reichenbach, and some of Gaffer's. Never had any cracking problems, and never had any broken beads mailed back to me!

I prefer to use the smaller size frits, like #0 and #00 on 104 glass, surface only, just to be on the safe side. I use the Uroboros rods without a worry with any 92-96COE frit.

I've been too busy with Etsy, but as soon as I get a break, I'll get something done and post the pictures here.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-11-17, 2:23pm

Would love to see some. I am experimenting a bit with making frit from the Devardi glass so as I go along I will be happy to post those also.

Old 2009-11-17, 2:26pm
I fart diamonds

I have a few frit beads but I need to take photos.

Old 2009-11-17, 2:30pm

Great idea. I had some vetrofond odd lot awhile back, and it turned all my frit brown, or black, Ugghhh!!!

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-17, 2:35pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
Great idea. I had some vetrofond odd lot awhile back, and it turned all my frit brown, or black, Ugghhh!!!
If it was an Ivory based odd (river rock, etc) and you used reduction frit, then that's the problem. Reduction frits and Ivory don't mix. There's a trick to getting them to work that doesn't involve encasing but I'm too lazy to figure it out. I just use a different frit, lol.

Old 2009-11-17, 8:28pm

It was Honey Crunch. And quite shocky also.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-18, 10:12am

honey crunch is an ivory--it's vetrofond--shocky as hell--my favorite odd vetro ivory to use though!! try yellow ice for less reactive spots/shockiness.

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-18, 2:52pm
product of the universe

here are some pendants i've made with devardi/effetre/silver foil.
Attached Images

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-11-18, 3:01pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

VERY nice Chris!!

Jack

Old 2009-11-18, 3:59pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you all for the Press & Roller info. I will jump in and give both types a try!

And what neat color combos CHAYES! Thanks so much for posting them!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2009-11-18 at 4:02pm.
Old 2009-11-18, 4:54pm

Really pretty pendants Chris, for the last 2 days I've been using silver ivory stringer, my first time using silverleaf and now I'm hooked. All my beads have been fine. Great work.!
Old 2009-11-18, 8:26pm

Great work Chris.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-19, 6:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Cattwalk vs Zoozii

Has anyone used both Cattwalk and Zoozii presses?

If so, would there be any difference in their use with Devardi since it's a stiffer glass?
Old 2009-11-19, 7:43am

I have two zooziz presses. I actually find the presses a bit easier to use with the Devardi simply because its a stiffer glass. This seems to give me a bit more working time with it since it isn't quite as soupy as some of the other and I can get the chill marks out of it easier without ending up melting the whole piece back out of shape. Although that may just be because i am still very new to this and am winging it so to speak lol!

Old 2009-11-19, 8:06am

Chris those pendants are AWESOME (and I keep thinking I need to learn to do that....)

Dale/Kristina--presses should work perfectly with Devardi--it's much similar to BE in "texture" & BE users love presses . I've used my crunch press with Devardi--heck, I use my crunch press with EVERYTHING, & every COE!!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-11-19, 8:15am

Hi! I am new to lampworking and I know that some of you on this thread are new as well and I know that this thread is about Devardi glass (which I have ordered but haven't used yet because I want to learn as much about it before doing so and I find this info to be very helpful) and I was hoping it would be ok to ask all of you my question. I am just curious; how are you all practicing and learning? Are you making round spacer beads til you feel you have mastered them to some degree then making them with dots or some other decoration. Then, making those till you feel you can do so then moving on to some other decoration or technique? Is there an order to learning such that some techniques require mastering certain skills before trying which will lessen some frustration? I am Virgo and LOVE ORDER! Thank you for your help/guidance. Cheryl
Old 2009-11-19, 8:49am

Hi Cheryl! Welcome to the addiction lol! Make sure that you check out the newbie show and tell and the newbie challenges too, its a great way to be challenged outside your comfort zone lol! (ask me how I know).

I have only been doing this since mid August. I learned to make good, basic, round donuts first. I would do 5 to 10 of these every time at the torch first. After those 5 or 10 I just played and made whatever I wanted to. I did find it helpful to get that basic donut shape down since its kind of a core shape that you can build many things off of. You will also find that you may have an affinity for certain types of glass work (I tend to be very good with dots, there are others who are totally good at sculpture right off the bat, others who have great stringer control, which is why you should add playing to each torch session after working on the basics.)

Old 2009-11-19, 9:49am

Thank you Sonja! That is a very good plan. I really appreciate your advice. Oh! and your beads are really great. I am stressing myself out too much because I hate feeling somewhat defeated whenever I finish a torching session and I don't think I accomplished what I had wanted to do. I want to be good yesterday and I know that it is impossible without practice. I suffer from fear of failure and tend to procrastinate getting back to it! BTW, how do you know about being challenged outside of your comfort zone? Cheryl
Old 2009-11-19, 10:40am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrunner View Post
Thank you Sonja! That is a very good plan. I really appreciate your advice. Oh! and your beads are really great. I am stressing myself out too much because I hate feeling somewhat defeated whenever I finish a torching session and I don't think I accomplished what I had wanted to do. I want to be good yesterday and I know that it is impossible without practice. I suffer from fear of failure and tend to procrastinate getting back to it! BTW, how do you know about being challenged outside of your comfort zone? Cheryl
Make 100 spacers, and then 100 more. By then, you will have definitely "got it" when it comes down to mastering the basic small donut spacer with the even shape and well dimpled in holes. I tell the newbies this whenever I can.

Don't be so hard on yourself. It takes a little time to learn to control the glass, so for a little while, it will seem like the glass is controlling YOU. Before long, and with some practice, you will be turning out beads that you really like. So, for right now, enjoy the learning process and have some fun!

You are not alone in this, as we are all here and willing to help with anything you might need. Don't be afraid to ask questions! No question is silly, so just keep that in mind. You might want to invest in some lampworking books and beginner videos. Later on after you don't need them anymore, you can always sell them here in the Garage and get back pretty close to what you paid for them.

About the Devardi glass, ahem...sorry! Back to that. I've got it in the works already and by this weekend, I should have a bunch of frit on Devardi beads to show.

Last edited by Lisi; 2009-11-19 at 10:43am.
Old 2009-11-19, 11:57am
Live and Let Live

Can't wait to see your frit on Devardi results, Lisi. IMO, we should not put that thread in the Gallery unless we want it to be overrun with more 'Devardi sucks' sentiments from the folks who seem to love beating that drum.

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi