LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-10-09, 6:33am

Default Propane outside during a Chicago winter?

Any suggestions on whether it's ok for me to place my propane tank outside during a Chicago winter (can get to 15 below zero + with windchill). I'm thinking of having a hole drilled through my front porch floor so that the tank is outside and run the hose through the floor. But it's so flippin cold here in the winter--are the tanks and hoses ok doing this? Will post a pic of my studio set-up so far. Also have to get the right ventilation but have an awkward space to work with.
Old 2011-10-09, 7:09am
Ready to hit the road

I'm in the middle of Minnesota, so we get a little chillier than you do, and I have mine on the front deck in a metal garbage can (drill holes in the bottom so if there's a leak, the gas won't accumulate). The hose runs through a caulked hole in the side of the house to my torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by betsymn; 2011-10-09 at 7:13am.
Old 2011-10-09, 7:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Tank and supply pressure should be ok with tank outside, if cold becomes real problem place tank in insulated container and use something for a heat source like simple light bulb.

IN most locals it is against most building codes to simply drill hole through wall and put "hose" through... Most communities/cities/counties/state codes require it to be metallic piping with a gas approved shut off valve on outside where it enters house, and on inside at end of "gas piping" and before any "hose" (rubber) and propane pressure can be no more then 10 psi.... Check local building code so you can be in compliance..

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum....php?f=7&t=208

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-10-09 at 7:44am.
Old 2011-10-09, 3:08pm
Alaska Boro

Should not be in issue in Chicago unless your local temperature drops to a -44 F. Now in northern Minnesota when it can get to a -50 F without windchill, then you may have a concern. Here is a chart of propane vapor pressures at different temperatures.
F PSI
-44 0
-30 6.8
-20 11.5
-10 17.5
0 24.5
10 34
20 42
30 53
40 65
50 78
60 93
70 110
80 128
90 150
100 177
110 204

Overall, one should be good for a 5 PSI torch setting even at -30 F.

Last edited by Alaska; 2011-10-09 at 3:25pm.
Old 2011-10-10, 5:00am
old fart

it does not matter. no tanks inside larger than 1 pound. maybe you should switch to natural gas/

Old 2011-10-10, 5:05am

Yep, I'm in Maine and ya can't say we're too balmy warm here in January. I have no issues with the pressures in my tank and absolutely, they are outside.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-10-10, 7:11pm

thanks for all of the suggestions guys--all great. I'm open to having a natural gas line installed. Hoping it wouldn't be awful financially. My bigger concern would be finding the right person to do it correctly and safely and then what type of regulator is right, etc. Is it just the same regulator I have on my propane tank now? Love the idea of tramping outside in 0 degrees flipping that switch. By any wild chance does anyone know someone in the Chicago area capable of doing this?
Old 2011-10-10, 7:45pm
Gentleman of Leisure

With a "nature gas" installation, in simple terms its tapping into existing line and extending it to your studio...

There is issues like codes compliance and quality of workmanship ... But you will have to do research on code issues and screen for best person to do the work.

You most likely will not need a regulator, because natural gas is usually regulated at the meter by the equipment the gas utility provides.
So like I mentioned above its just matter of extending it to your studio and have plumbing done to local codes.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2011-10-10, 8:47pm
Alaska Boro

Contact your local HVAC, plumbing or heating shop. They all need to have the correct city license to install a NG line or extension. They will also be a charge for a city inspection to make sure the work is up to code.

Depending on the area, NG pressure will be in the range of 11 WC (.4 PSI). It could be as high as 2 PSI but most likely not. One can check by looking at the data posted on the NG meter. It should list the WC number.

Check with others for your brand of torch to make sure that it runs fine on NG. Have used both the Scorpion and Cricket on NG and they perform well IMO.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:28am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Alaska,
I think your numbers are from a standard table and as such I would say are correct. But do these numbers take into account the drop in temperature of the propane due to its evaporation? We have all seen the propane tanks freeze up in use so there is a further drop in temp possibly not accounted for by the table numbers.
Old 2011-10-16, 11:50am
Now part of the Dark Side

If you are just running a torch you should be fine with a 20lb tank. I run a 20,000 BTU heater and I have frozen up the end of a 20lb tank in the winter. Most heating appliances require a 100lb tank to avoid this issue.
Old 2011-10-16, 12:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
Alaska,
I think your numbers are from a standard table and as such I would say are correct. But do these numbers take into account the drop in temperature of the propane due to its evaporation? We have all seen the propane tanks freeze up in use so there is a further drop in temp possibly not accounted for by the table numbers.
FYI, a BBQ cylinder has enough thermal mass to moderate the cooling effects of the evaporating propane . We tried a 1 lb cylinder through a regulator in hopes of using 1 lb cans indoors. But the thermal mass was so small that the can would get cold, we'd adjust the regulator up, the flame went up, can got cooler, readjusted the reg, ad nauseum. It just wasn't stable enough to use.
PS- Followed Dale's advice and went to natgas indoors. Got plans approved, permits, etc. Our gas company (XCEL in Colorado) bumped our pressure from 1/4 psi to 1/2 psi with no charge! In some areas you can get 2 psi, but our neighborhood's pipes are old. Needed to add a regulator on our furnace, but that was all. Works great! (GTT Scorpion & 2 oxycons)
Old 2011-10-17, 10:46am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Cabermon,
I think you proved my point. A BBQ cylinder outside in the Chicago winter may be at such a lowered temp that the cooling effect of evaporization could reduce the evaporization in the tank below a useble level.
Old 2011-10-19, 9:13am

Just wanted to say -
I am in the Chicago suburbs and have used a bbq size tank outside for the last 3 winters. I am on a cricket and a minor - never had a bit of an issue regardless of the outside temp. That is unless you count freezing from the open window for makeup air.

Michelle
Old 2011-10-19, 10:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius214 View Post
Just wanted to say -
I am in the Chicago suburbs and have used a bbq size tank outside for the last 3 winters. I am on a cricket and a minor - never had a bit of an issue regardless of the outside temp. That is unless you count freezing from the open window for makeup air.

Michelle
lol- I hear ya! My back size is cold while my front side is warm.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-10-19, 11:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius214 View Post
Just wanted to say -

Michelle
lol exactly this. I live in Ohio, the tank stays outside on the deck in all weather. I have mine covered with a plastic tub. The lid sits on the deck, the propane sits on the lid, then the tub part goes over the tank. It leaves a two inch gap around the bottom but works great. And I too freeze with the window open but when they put the new furnace in they put a vent right behind where I sit to torch so I am hoping that helps with the temp a bit lol.