Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-22, 2:53am

Default Why spend the money?

Just wondering why people buy such expensive clear glass when Effetre's Super Clear is fantastic and soooo reasonably priced? Am I missing something? Discuss.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-22, 3:11am
Unmedicated since '62

Oh god, you started a clear thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-22, 3:57am
BeadsonCypress

depends on what you are using it for. Or so I am told, i rarely encase so, I use what ever is on sale as a base.....

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2012-08-22, 5:33am
Ready to hit the road

I've tried the Super Clear, and wasn't impressed with the scumming (I have to say it's been a while since I tried it, so maybe they've changed it). DH's clears are the only ones that I haven't had scumming, so that's why I use them.

Old 2012-08-22, 5:43am

Consistency.

I have good ESC and crap ESC and I never know which will show up here.
Every time I order DH Aether or Zephyr I know what's going to show up here. Worth it.

Old 2012-08-22, 6:26am
color bomb

Interesting that this is being posted now. I worked on encasing for quite a while yesterday using ESC and started with peeling the ends of the rods. I'm supposed to be having some Zephyr delivered today, and I ordered it just because of how many people say it melts easier than ESC...

Some of my ESC is pretty clear and some of it is as bad as regular clear with the scumming and cloudiness. Idk.
Old 2012-08-22, 7:00am
Lampworkaholic!

Have you tried Aether, Zephyr or Clarity? Because that will answer your question. Once you have worked with premium clear it is hard to go back. I use ESC for some things but if I want a pristine clear, it is Clarity for silver glass and Aether for florals.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-08-22, 8:26am

ESC is much improved from what it was like before. It used to have serious scumming issues and now it is like ice to me. I always soak the rods in vinegar and water, then wipe them down real well, first. And I always remove the molten cut end before applying the glass. I did have some scumming issues last night, with one bead, but I know it's because I super heated it. It was really obvious, too, I was daydreaming and sat there too long and was suddenly like "what am I doing?!!!" LOL, I absolutely love it love it love it!
Anyway, I was just wondering. Thanks for the info!

Old 2012-08-22, 9:12am
Will work for glass...

I have tried many different clear glasses. The reliable results I get with Aether just make it so much more worth it to spend the extra dough. As far as I'm concerned, time is money...the more time I spend sitting around cleaning rods, peeling them, picking out scum, and all the other bother- well, the less time I spend creating something worthwhile. I'd rather spend the extra money and not waste time.
Old 2012-08-22, 9:13am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
I did have some scumming issues last night, with one bead, but I know it's because I super heated it. It was really obvious, too, I was daydreaming and sat there too long and was suddenly like "what am I doing?!!!"
That wouldn't happen with DH clear. Those of us working with some of the striking silver glass have to super heat and work the bead for a while. No scumming, no boiling.

Old 2012-08-22, 10:21am
Tweedle Dumb

I swear by Super Clear, I really love it. The softer premium glasses seem to lose their shape when I super heat. They want to bloat instead of pull in. So for striking glass that I will have to super heat after the encasement I use Super Clear.

But, I have recently been spoiled by the clarity of Zephyr, and have found love for Aether, which I used to hate. I use them for everything other than my super heated beads.

I do not like Aether with any silver glass. I do, however, use it for all of my encased regular glass beads.

And... thanks for the clear thread.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-08-22, 11:09am

LOVE Zephyr and would never go back to ESC. It melts easier, it never scums or gets weird bubbles in it, and is just dreamy to work with. On the rare occasion I actively want a stiffer glass, I will use Reichenbach Clear, which is my next favourite.

Old 2012-08-22, 11:22am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by helbels View Post
LOVE Zephyr and would never go back to ESC. It melts easier, it never scums or gets weird bubbles in it, and is just dreamy to work with. On the rare occasion I actively want a stiffer glass, I will use Reichenbach Clear, which is my next favourite.
I use Reichenbach clear to twist glass because of the stiffness. It holds up well for that.

Old 2012-08-22, 11:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
I use Reichenbach clear to twist glass because of the stiffness. It holds up well for that.
I also use it sometimes if I am working with raised dots, as I find that Zephyr dots tend to melt in too easily due to its softness unless you are very careful.

Old 2012-08-22, 1:11pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Consistency.

I have good ESC and crap ESC and I never know which will show up here.
Every time I order DH Aether or Zephyr I know what's going to show up here. Worth it.
This!
I love SC, but some batches are better than others. And some are just really bad.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2012-08-22, 3:41pm
color bomb

I just tried Zephyr for the first time today. Be still my heart! I will NEVER go back
Old 2012-08-22, 4:38pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm not actually sure whether I'm supposed to say something or not (maybe I should do a search?) but I've been testing a new 104 clear and so far it is magnificent!

Old 2012-08-22, 4:58pm
No Longer an LE Member

definitely prefer Reichenbach over anything even DH aether or clarity
Old 2012-08-22, 5:01pm

quote - " Every time I order DH Aether or Zephyr I know
what's going to show up here. Worth it."
This quote is why I only ever use Double Helix Zephyr
for all my encasing work. What is the point of saving money
by using scumming cheap clear & producing a scummy
encasing on an otherwise nice bead? I will not sell a bead
with scummy encasing, so your not really saving money by
using the cheap scummy clear. I use the best & clearest clear
to make the best bead that I can. I believe that Zephyr is the best.
Old 2012-08-22, 5:23pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I'm not actually sure whether I'm supposed to say something or not (maybe I should do a search?) but I've been testing a new 104 clear and so far it is magnificent!
is it the VS or something else? I never see anyone talk of it other than the one thread asking if anyone's tried it. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=228150
Old 2012-08-22, 5:30pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
I did have some scumming issues last night, with one bead, but I know it's because I super heated it. It was really obvious, too, I was daydreaming and sat there too long and was suddenly like "what am I doing?!!!"
^^^ This is the exact reason why I have 15 lbs of good Effetre Super Clear and only use it as the core to be encased by another glass. I work hot thus ONLY use Zephyr and Aether to encase now.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-08-22, 6:21pm

Quote:
Is that the one they've been talking about in the marble room?

Old 2012-08-22, 6:29pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Has anyone tried Clear Crystal by VS from Frantz? http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=6320

Old 2012-08-22, 6:33pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Is that the one they've been talking about in the marble room?
I don't know! I'd better go look.

Old 2012-08-22, 6:34pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Is it Uroboros? It's not a secret that they are coming out with a 104 soon. And if it is anything like the 96 it will indeed be magnificent.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-08-22, 7:24pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

The Super Clear I bought from Frantz in March comes out all scummy, but I don't know if I was working it "too hot" or not. The rods themselves have all sorts of scratches on them and even bubbles inside, which is not my definition of SUPER clear glass.

I'll try working the glass cooler next time.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-08-22, 7:39pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Is it Uroboros? It's not a secret that they are coming out with a 104 soon. And if it is anything like the 96 it will indeed be magnificent.
Yes... I've been so out of the loop that I suddenly realized I wasn't sure if it was something I should be talking about. Its really, really great! I work fast and hot, and the main reason I stopped using 104 for encased styles is because even the good clears have been so inconsistent, compared with BE and Uroboros which are always nice. I've been begging Uroboros for years (years! I tell you!) to please come out with a 96 reactive ivory so I could use their colors, and furnace glass colors, in my encased styles, but I guess they took a whole different approach to that problem.

I haven't had much time to torch lately, but the day I got it I made about a dozen beads, using ivory, silver foil, silver leaf, silver glass, coral... as much as I could think of to throw at it. I put the first six beads in the kiln before it was up to temp... I think it was maybe around 600 degrees. All but three of the beads (the last three I made) are long, thin pressed beads. I thought I'd lose at least the first four. Nope. This glass is beautiful.

I'm in the middle of a large order right now, and I decided to use the U104 clear for them. It's just so pretty, it doesn't scorch, soot or boil even though I beat it up, and I am feeling really confident in it after my test beads came out of that unscathed.

Old 2012-08-22, 7:41pm
Nikki Haverstock

What kinda price point for the new U104?

Old 2012-08-22, 7:45pm
Unmedicated since '62

I love zephyr enough that I hand carried 2 pounds of the damn stuff back from the US - 8mm rods (be still my beating heart)

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-22, 7:47pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Yes... I've been so out of the loop that I suddenly realized I wasn't sure if it was something I should be talking about. Its really, really great! I work fast and hot, and the main reason I stopped using 104 for encased styles is because even the good clears have been so inconsistent, compared with BE and Uroboros which are always nice. I've been begging Uroboros for years (years! I tell you!) to please come out with a 96 reactive ivory so I could use their colors, and furnace glass colors, in my encased styles, but I guess they took a whole different approach to that problem.

I haven't had much time to torch lately, but the day I got it I made about a dozen beads, using ivory, silver foil, silver leaf, silver glass, coral... as much as I could think of to throw at it. I put the first six beads in the kiln before it was up to temp... I think it was maybe around 600 degrees. All but three of the beads (the last three I made) are long, thin pressed beads. I thought I'd lose at least the first four. Nope. This glass is beautiful.

I'm in the middle of a large order right now, and I decided to use the U104 clear for them. It's just so pretty, it doesn't scorch, soot or boil even though I beat it up, and I am feeling really confident in it after my test beads came out of that unscathed.
That makes me so happy! I work hot and fast too. Can't wait to try it out!