Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-22, 8:10pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Can you please supply a link to the U104? Pretty Please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-22, 8:18pm

Deb,
Did they allow you to bring zephyr as hand luggage from the States? I have a friend coming to visit and I was wondering if she would be able to carry glass as hand luggage?
Old 2012-08-22, 8:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
I love zephyr enough that I hand carried 2 pounds of the damn stuff back from the US - 8mm rods (be still my beating heart)
Yeah it's weird isn't it.

You cant have tiny scissors or a pen knife. But they let Deb carry on 20 or so heavy glass rods that only needed the end knocked off to make them a sharp and potentially lethal weapon.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2012-08-22, 8:33pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
What kinda price point for the new U104?
http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany.com/104_coe.html
$48/pound

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-08-22, 8:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
What kinda price point for the new U104?
I don't even know that yet! I wish I did! I am hoping it's similar to the price point for the 96, which is super-reasonable.

Old 2012-08-22, 8:35pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Oh ho! Thanks Lori! I didn't even know it was for sale yet... I'm waaaay too much in my bubble.

Old 2012-08-22, 8:53pm

Default efferte is great

I'm baffled as to why so many people put down moretti its the only clear I use and I have zero scum give it a second chance I think its wonderful stuff. This marble was made with moretti and I can't find any scum and the bubbles are my own fault and had nothing to do with the glass itself.

-Zach
Attached Images

Old 2012-08-22, 8:55pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
I swear by Super Clear, I really love it. The softer premium glasses seem to lose their shape when I super heat. They want to bloat instead of pull in. So for striking glass that I will have to super heat after the encasement I use Super Clear.

But, I have recently been spoiled by the clarity of Zephyr, and have found love for Aether, which I used to hate. I use them for everything other than my super heated beads.

I do not like Aether with any silver glass. I do, however, use it for all of my encased regular glass beads.

And... thanks for the clear thread.
That ^^ and I use Zephyr for the silver glass... I have my bin full of 104 scrap clear that I use for cores when I'm making bigger beads with "premium colors"...

Old 2012-08-22, 9:05pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangita View Post
Deb,
Did they allow you to bring zephyr as hand luggage from the States? I have a friend coming to visit and I was wondering if she would be able to carry glass as hand luggage?
Yep, they wanted to see what it was and I made sure it was really well plastic wrapped, they checked it and swabbed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by one hot beader View Post
Yeah it's weird isn't it.

You cant have tiny scissors or a pen knife. But they let Deb carry on 20 or so heavy glass rods that only needed the end knocked off to make them a sharp and potentially lethal weapon.
Yup, stupid

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-22, 10:30pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I'm baffled as to why so many people put down moretti its the only clear I use and I have zero scum give it a second chance I think its wonderful stuff. This marble was made with moretti and I can't find any scum and the bubbles are my own fault and had nothing to do with the glass itself.

-Zach
You have to understand that when we are working with silver glass, we encase it with clear and then super heat it to the point that it's so molten hot and dripping that we can barely keep the glass on the mandrel. Do you do that when you make a marble? Most clears can't withstand that kind of treatment. They either boil or scum.

Old 2012-08-22, 10:36pm
Naysayer

Quote:

-Zach
That's what I use, or CIM which most hate. At 40 - 50.00 per pound it better make my beads too

The only time I had issues was effetre super clear, free in the fun house recently, I laughed as I melted it. It just bubbled like mad.
Old 2012-08-22, 10:39pm

I do occasionally have to heat my marbles to the point your describing and this was true for the marble pictured since it cracked in the very center while I was working it however I can't say that that's normal. I think the main difference may be how we work it I take a good 15 minutes to get mine drippy where as I imagine you blast your clear when your working with silvers. However I could be totally off base so correct me if I'm wrong.

-Zach
Old 2012-08-22, 10:48pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
I do occasionally have to heat my marbles to the point your describing and this was true for the marble pictured since it cracked in the very center while I was working it however I can't say that that's normal. I think the main difference may be how we work it I take a good 15 minutes to get mine drippy where as I imagine you blast your clear when your working with silvers. However I could be totally off base so correct me if I'm wrong.

-Zach
You're right, we pretty much blast them with heat. Once they are encased, it's a quick minute or two to super heat them to a yellow molten and then we pull them out of the flame, cool them and then strike. Double Helix clears are the only clears I've worked with that can withstand that kind of harsh treatment and stay pristine.

Old 2012-08-22, 10:57pm
Mad about Glass

I wouldn't encase with anything but DH Aether or Zephyr - they are immaculate! They don't even need washing, let alone pickling or skinning. I'm using up my leftover ESC and Vetro clear as the base for soft opaque glass like ivory, white, etc. Same as I wouldn't use anything but Schott 90coe clear because it is so superior to BE clear.

[url]

Old 2012-08-23, 5:35am
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
You are the best. Thank you.

Old 2012-08-23, 6:02am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Do you mean the noodles Lori? I don't think that will be the rod price. The 96 clear is $12.66 lb. at Howaco.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-08-23, 7:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Yep, they wanted to see what it was and I made sure it was really well plastic wrapped, they checked it and swabbed it

Then again, I was told that I couldn't take my glass on the plane, because it could be used as a weapon...

--d
Old 2012-08-23, 10:17am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:

-Zach
That's a lovely marble!

Many of us have been working with glass for ten-twenty years, and have given Effetre clear second, third, fourth, and fifth chances. Maybe more! But for many of us, it just doesn't work for the way we work our glass. Sure, we could work the glass differently... but then we wouldn't be making the beads we make. So it's even better if someone makes a clear that DOES work with the way we work the glass.

Old 2012-08-23, 12:42pm

Yes I think I understand what you mean my previous comment was a touch hasty and not very well thought out. I do however stand by the fact that if worked a certain way effetre is a capable clear. Its just like you said though not everybody wants to work that way which makes perfect sense.

-Zach
Old 2012-08-23, 4:02pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsglass View Post
Then again, I was told that I couldn't take my glass on the plane, because it could be used as a weapon...

--d
Were you told that at the gate or by somebody randomly?

I actually looked up the website that BBM gave me the link to and glass was fine as long as it was well packed, I even warned the guy to pick it up by the middle so he ddnt poke himself with the ends

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-08-23, 8:13pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Yes I think I understand what you mean my previous comment was a touch hasty and not very well thought out. I do however stand by the fact that if worked a certain way effetre is a capable clear. Its just like you said though not everybody wants to work that way which makes perfect sense.

-Zach

Not only "wants", but also we cannot get the same effects from the glass by working it slower and cooler. Especially for those of us who make a living working glass, it's not a simple matter to just decide to stop making the styles or producing the color reactions our customers come to us for.

Sure, most batches of Effetre are perfectly decent under certain circumstances. It just doesn't meet everyone's needs, which is why there are so many alternatives.

Old 2012-08-23, 9:09pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Ok, let's take this bead as an example:

I sell these for $15 and they are 1/4 ounce each. That means I can make 4 of them with an ounce of glass, a good deal of that (sometimes all but the murrini) is clear.

Even if clear the glass cost $100/pound the glass used would only be $1.56 per bead. So, let's just agree that most of the bead is labor.

I really love the new batch of super clear I got from Ron at Art Glass House. It was fantastic! There are still things I like about Aether and Zephyr more but as far as clear goes, that batch was great! I am hoping the next batch will be just as good. Will I stop buying Aether and Zephyr? No.

I use the super clear for encasing focal beads because it works really well with my preferred method of encasing focals. I use the Aether for bubble encasing murrini like the bead shown above. I use Zephyr for encasing reduction silver glass. I use reichenbach for the base bead of 'jack' beads and for when I need a stiff clear to push colors around.

They all have their place in my heart.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-08-23, 10:24pm
Smile, it's contagious!

Quote:
Ok, let's take this bead as an example:

I sell these for $15 and they are 1/4 ounce each. That means I can make 4 of them with an ounce of glass, a good deal of that (sometimes all but the murrini) is clear.

Even if clear the glass cost $100/pound the glass used would only be $1.56 per bead. So, let's just agree that most of the bead is labor.

I really love the new batch of super clear I got from Ron at Art Glass House. It was fantastic! There are still things I like about Aether and Zephyr more but as far as clear goes, that batch was great! I am hoping the next batch will be just as good. Will I stop buying Aether and Zephyr? No.

I use the super clear for encasing focal beads because it works really well with my preferred method of encasing focals. I use the Aether for bubble encasing murrini like the bead shown above. I use Zephyr for encasing reduction silver glass. I use reichenbach for the base bead of 'jack' beads and for when I need a stiff clear to push colors around.

They all have their place in my heart.

you are clearly a diplomat.

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2012-08-24, 5:34am
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
I really love the new batch of super clear I got from Ron at Art Glass House.
That's why I switched from Lauscha to DH's clears. One batch I bought had scratches, so I ordered more from another vendor, and that one had scratches too. DH's clears are consistent.

Old 2012-08-24, 10:55am
I'm a lilac!

I started a gallery thread with some of my U104 clear test beads, if anyone's interested... and if you have any, please post them there! I'd like to see/hear about your results. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?p=4090153

Old 2012-08-24, 12:05pm

CIM clear is great for implosions (awesome optics), but you do have to work it very cool or else it scums.
but when it's worked cool, it looks great.
Old 2012-08-24, 10:07pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Do you mean the noodles Lori? I don't think that will be the rod price. The 96 clear is $12.66 lb. at Howaco.
Glad I found these threads. I am so excited that we will soon have a new clear. I have not heard what the price will be yet, but as quoted above, the 96 clear is only 12.66 a pound, so I just can't fathom that 104 is going to shock us. I'm sure it will be more, mainly because this clear is the only thing they are making in 104. (they do make clear 104 sheet as well)

The noodles are just so pricey because of how they are made. But if you have never used them, they are da bomb to use in certain situations. Because they are so thin, they melt almost instantly like butter and you can get the glass to go exactly where you want it to go.

I posted a picture of a bead in Kalera's other thread.

Old 2012-08-25, 1:51am

Kalera, the beads look great!

This is a great thread, glad I started it, lol!

I guess my original question in this thread should have been why are the prices so high? I mean, is the process really long, or do they use a special ingredient?

P.S. It was a while ago, but I was gifted some of the expensive clear. Can't recall which one, but I was able to scum it. !!! Maybe they've improved since then, it was when they first came out, the first one, I think. The rods were kind of oval shaped.
=/

Last edited by truegem; 2012-08-25 at 1:54am.
Old 2012-08-25, 5:32am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
Kalera, the beads look great!

This is a great thread, glad I started it, lol!

I guess my original question in this thread should have been why are the prices so high? I mean, is the process really long, or do they use a special ingredient?

P.S. It was a while ago, but I was gifted some of the expensive clear. Can't recall which one, but I was able to scum it. !!! Maybe they've improved since then, it was when they first came out, the first one, I think. The rods were kind of oval shaped.
=/
Quote sounds like you might have gotten some Diamond Clear, which near the end of its production had slumming and other issues. I also had some Claity seconds that were fizz on a stick, so now I stick to odd shapes but no seconds. Double Helix seconds are AOK though.

I'm curious too about the high cost for premium clear ....

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-08-25, 2:32pm
Superkitty

The Uroboros 104 noodles are fabulous. No scumming, very clear and, as Jamey said, excellent for thin encasements. I'm looking forward to them producing it in rod form.