Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-05-03, 3:28pm

Default Act of Courage Beads Needed

If you are in a BoC bead making mood these days we could sure use a batch of Act of Courage beads. With new programs coming on line we're really going though these very special beads at a fast pace. I just sent off a box myself and plan to make another batch this weekend. There are a lot of kids toughing it out who would really like to have one of your special beads to brighten their spirits.
Thanks to everyone for all you do,
Robert
Old 2011-05-03, 8:23pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I have some Robert, I'll get them packed up and on their way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-03, 8:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

How are those different from regular beads?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-05-03, 8:55pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Here Squid, I copy/pasted this from another of Robert's posts. Basically they're artisan made beads:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Act of Courage beads are given when the kids have been through a tough experience or procedure or have just had a tough day. These are different from the program beads. Program beads are commercially made beads that are color or design coded for specific events or procedures. We go though mountains of them so they have to be manufactured. This makes the Act of Courage bead very special in that they are all artist-made donated beads. When an AoC bead is given the child is presented with a selection of these beads and they get to take as long as they like to choose the one bead that speaks to them of their experience. I've personally seen this process take quite a while. It's a very special part of the journey for our kids.

You can send these beads to:

Beads of Courage
10501 E. Seven Generations Way
Suite 161
Tucson, AZ 85747

Be sure to include your name and address in the package so that we can send you a Thank You card and a receipt for your donation. It's tax deductible for the cost of manufacture.

Thanks to everyone for your great support of BoC.

Last edited by LoriGreenberg; 2011-05-03 at 10:46pm.
Old 2011-05-03, 9:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Cool - thanks!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-05-03, 10:46pm
Obsessed Blogger

New Address for Beads of Courage HQ:

Beads of Courage
Suite 161
Tucson, AZ 85747

(I changed it in the above post too).

::
Old 2011-05-04, 5:49am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Thanks Lori, I forgot all about the move, dummy me.

Old 2011-05-04, 6:21pm
Lampworkaholic!

I will go through my trays this weekend and send out a box.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-05-04, 6:50pm
Loving learning

And doesn't it say somewhere that they prefer not to have silver unless it's encased, nothing that might break off, ... was there anything else? I think they prefer the holes be .... was it 3/32 if possible?

I'm taking my oxycon to be serviced on Friday, so if it isn't anything too bad maybe I'll be up & running soon. One main reason I'm trying to do beads is for BOC, so I should be able to send some soon too. Last time I send what I had made (not many) but I also sent some from friends. I'll mention it around in case anyone from pottery has more lampwork they want to send.
Old 2011-05-04, 9:37pm

As soon as my new kiln gets here Iill have bunches to send in. This is a arch a great program and I can't wait to make my first donation!

Love to all,
Marti Ann
Old 2011-05-04, 9:38pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I managed to come up with just over 100, they're going out in the morning mail.

Old 2011-05-04, 10:20pm
Loving learning

Wow Astrid, that's wonderful!
Old 2011-05-04, 10:40pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

It's amazing how many of those little suckers you amass trying to learn how to make a decent bead.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm like "Here's some in this jar, and this box, and this other jar, and on this shelf......."

They migrate, I'll never understand how.

Old 2011-05-05, 9:18am

Quote:
And doesn't it say somewhere that they prefer not to have silver unless it's encased, nothing that might break off, ... was there anything else? I think they prefer the holes be .... was it 3/32 if possible?
Any reduction glass/frit needs to be encased as many of the glasses that have a silver-appearing surface are actually lead glasses and the metallic surface is almost pure lead. Remember that the beads are going to be played with and moved around by kids and sometimes parents in a hurry, so fragile surface decorations might get broken. Robust is the word! 3/32 is the preferred mandrel size, though anything from 1/16 up can be used.

Thanks much to everyone,
Robert
Old 2011-05-07, 2:45pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Are they for all age groups? Is there a predominent age and style of bead that is desired?

And would critter beads be of interest or do you want regular style round beads with designs on them?
Old 2011-05-08, 12:00am

I have another box from my challenge just about ready to go off. Make beads guys!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-05-08, 4:40am

Quote:
It's amazing how many of those little suckers you amass trying to learn how to make a decent bead.
I'm like "Here's some in this jar, and this box, and this other jar, and on this shelf......."

They migrate, I'll never understand how.
They Migrate?? I think they're more like guppies except in the BOC world

I sent some out a month ago that I had made over a year ago. I figure they were just collecting dust here.

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-05-08, 8:10am

I have been working on BOC beads. I have made a few Elmo beads that turned out really cute. I just need to get them batch annealed and I will send them in.

Caroline
Old 2011-05-08, 1:09pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

I'd love to see them too Caroline! I wish others would post what they send so we can all enjoy them.
Old 2011-05-08, 5:54pm

Hi Robert,

I posted this in a thread that Lori had going, but I don't think that she checks in here as often as you do. Maybe you can answer my question?....

Hi Lori,

I have accumulated quite a few beads since I donated last time. Probably over 500 fairly good sized beads. The box has gotten very heavy. I live here in Tucson. Does the BOC location have business hours that I can just deliver the box in person so I can avoid avoid shipping them? If they do, are they open on the weekends?

Thanks for your help,
Jeannie
____

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2011-05-08, 6:19pm
Obsessed Blogger

Hi Jeannie. We have a storefront now so you can arrange to pop in and drop them off.

Beads of Courage
Suite 161
Tucson, AZ 85747

Old 2011-05-08, 6:26pm
Burnt Wood Beads

Lori, I have about 40 or 50 done that I can send in...

Caroline, I'd LOVE to see the Elmo beads...maybe I can make some up too for BOC.

Thx, Julie

Old 2011-05-08, 6:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

Mine are boxed and ready to post. I do have a question. In the past I'd get an acknowledgment and tax receipt when I sent in bead donations. I don't think I have gotten one for the past two boxes I've sent. It does help come tax time to have those receipts. Thanks! Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-05-08, 9:38pm
Obsessed Blogger

Hi Liz.

I will pass your name and question on to HQ. Karen Hickey handles receipt of donations and sending out receipts. She is part time and volunteer so sometimes it can take a while but not usually more than 2-3 weeks. I will copy you on the email as well.

Old 2011-05-08, 11:40pm
just plain silly

I have over 200 focals that I'll send in this week.

Suzanne
Old 2011-05-09, 7:47am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Remember that the beads are going to be played with and moved around by kids and sometimes parents in a hurry, so fragile surface decorations might get broken. Robust is the word! 3/32 is the preferred mandrel size, though anything from 1/16 up can be used.

Thanks much to everyone,
Robert

Well, I made up an odd bunch of beads last night (with a lot of Teddy Bear faces and Worm Cuties). So unless you say differently I will make up more of these types to send to you. And anyone who wants to copy a Critter Bead I have made - please feel free!

Robert or Lori, the pup on the far left is made on a pandora mandrel, is that okay?

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-05-09 at 7:50am.
Old 2011-05-09, 10:59am

They look very nice. My only suggestion is to maybe tuck the legs back a little so that the tips don't get chipped off.

Robert
Old 2011-05-09, 11:19am

Quote:
Any reduction glass/frit needs to be encased as many of the glasses that have a silver-appearing surface are actually lead glasses and the metallic surface is almost pure lead. Remember that the beads are going to be played with and moved around by kids and sometimes parents in a hurry, so fragile surface decorations might get broken. Robust is the word! 3/32 is the preferred mandrel size, though anything from 1/16 up can be used.

Thanks much to everyone,
Robert
Can you still use them for something else? The unencased silver glass beads I mean. I have tons of beads ready to go out and I'll separate them from the encased ones before sending but if they can't be used for the kids, can they be used at all?

Old 2011-05-10, 5:48am

If you are SURE that it is silver in the glass it would be helpful if you could separate them out and we'll use them for other things. If they are reduced Rubino or have EDP exposed on the surface we probably can't use them.

Robert
Old 2011-05-11, 9:03am
Eight Miles Wide

Quote:
Mine are boxed and ready to post. I do have a question. In the past I'd get an acknowledgment and tax receipt when I sent in bead donations. I don't think I have gotten one for the past two boxes I've sent. It does help come tax time to have those receipts. Thanks! Liz
I send a SASE to ensure I get a letter/receipt back. I had one shipment last year where I ddin;t get one, so I started doing this and it has worked for me. Plus, it saves them a stamp.