No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-01, 1:12pm

Default Which press first?

Which Press first?

I am looking to purchase my first press. I have a number of bead shapers that I love so far. But I am considering a press and wondered if one is "easier" to use for someone like me who is such a newbie? Is there a shape that would be good to start out with and has anyone had experience using the different makes of presses, and have a preference?

Any thoughts and opinions are extremely helpful and as always MUCH appreciated.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-01, 4:04pm
Senior Moment

I actually started with a Saturn shaped press Julie LOL not the easiest; dont recommend it as a place to start. What shapes do you want to make? That might be a better place to begin. my current fav is a lentil.

I have a bunch of diff presses from diff places; Zoozii, Catwalk, and one I'm not sure who's it is. I like em all in terms of construction and durability.

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-02-01, 4:13pm
...displaced ocean lover

My first and still fav is the lentil press. People told me it was hard to use but I WANTED to make that shape b/c I loved the way it looked so it didn't seem hard to me.

I think they all take a bit of practice...like she said, do what you really like, then it won't "feel" so hard. I wouldn't recommend a heart or cross. Unless you REALLY like a challenge. They take a while to get used to, or at least they did for me.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2013-02-01, 4:33pm

I really like barvarian bead presses for shapes and I love my graceful customs super round about for lentils

Old 2013-02-01, 4:56pm
offically down under

As far as presses go, I think the easiest is the crunchy. It is open ended so you don't have to worry about the exact amount of glass to wind on the mandrel. As for specific shapes, I would suggest a straight sided lentil or spree over a regular lentil. If you get too much glass, just don't press so hard.

Old 2013-02-01, 4:57pm
Scientific Glass Girl

a crunch or squeeze.

Old 2013-02-01, 5:13pm
Melody of Glass

It really depends on what you want to make. I get a lot of use out of my Zoozii SLIM Medium+ Duo (21mm). The nugget is very easy and the lentil is not too bad.
http://www.zooziis.com/mediumduo21mm-1.aspx

I love my Bavarian Bead presses - especially my ammonites - but if I could only have one press, the one above is far more versatile.

I also like these two brands because they have the alignment pins. I've not tried the Cattwalk presses so I can't say whether they are as easy to align top and bottom.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-01, 6:49pm

My first was the Zooziis tab trio, still my favourite closely followed by the Medium+ Duo. I really like the chunky look af the tabs, these are from the trio

Old 2013-02-01, 8:26pm

I love the zoozis lentil trio http://www.zooziis.com/lentiltrio.aspx

John aka "BIG JOHN"
Old 2013-02-01, 8:54pm

I prefer the straight sided lentil to the regular, and that would be my first choice.

Barbara
Old 2013-02-01, 10:21pm
Salt Box Beads

The crunch hands down! You can get so many different bead shapes and sizes with it. I got the longest one so I can make big beads but you can make small ones with it too.

Here is a thread link,
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18284
Old 2013-02-02, 7:03am

Thank you so much everyone!! Such good suggestions. Think I will be ordering my first press this week! I'm so excited!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-02, 9:25am
Melody of Glass

What did you choose???

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-02, 9:12pm
Senior Moment

Well??

Alli

Old 2013-02-02, 10:12pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlivELampworK View Post
a crunch or squeeze.
Ditto.
Old 2013-02-04, 3:24pm

Large crunchers all the way. It is extremely versatile and you are not restricted to a size
Old 2013-02-06, 7:42am
...displaced ocean lover

Oh no...we're just hangin'...
come on girl, what did you get?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2013-02-06, 1:10pm

The 1 1/4" Zooziis straight sided lentil was my first press and it is still one of my all time favorites! I love my crunch press too but I remember when I was first learning that I would always crunch off center :-\ Maybe I was just especially uncoordinated! Here's a bead I made in the past with the Zooziis SSL press - you can see a side view of how the bead looks:
Attached Images

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2013-02-06, 6:12pm
Melody of Glass

Damn! I just ordered the crystal trio and now I want the big ssl. That is stunning, Christie! Wow.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-06, 8:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
Damn! I just ordered the crystal trio and now I want the big ssl. That is stunning, Christie! Wow.
Thanks!

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2013-02-13, 9:32am

I've finally decided on the Straight Sided Lentil trio and possibly a Crunch/Squeeze to follow. I think I'm going with Zoozii's because of the extra Base expense for Catwalk. We will see.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-13, 7:50pm
Senior Moment

I've a..erm...unknown version of the that with 4 lentil sizes and I lurve it! Think you will too
Alli

Old 2013-02-14, 6:45am
...displaced ocean lover

Talking

I think if you buy 2 presses from Cattwalk, the base if free or something like that.
Sorry I can't remember exactly but I know it was a deal of some sort.

And not for nuthin' ...ask anyone on here... you're going to buy from both Cattwalk and Zoozii and others if you continue this lampwork addiction.
ALSO I think buying (some would say collecting/hoarding ) different presses becomes it's own addiction.

Soooo...get what you love b/c if you don't do it now, you'll do it at some point anyway. Why not just get what you want right away?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2013-02-14, 7:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
I think if you buy 2 presses from Cattwalk, the base if free or something like that.
Sorry I can't remember exactly but I know it was a deal of some sort.

And not for nuthin' ...ask anyone on here... you're going to buy from both Cattwalk and Zoozii and others if you continue this lampwork addiction.
ALSO I think buying (some would say collecting/hoarding ) different presses becomes it's own addiction.

Soooo...get what you love b/c if you don't do it now, you'll do it at some point anyway. Why not just get what you want right away?
I'm completely into addiction mode. And I don't think there is a Twelve Step program. haha I am finding your comments very true....get what I want the first time because it wil haunt me and I will end up getting it at some point for sure. I love this kind of addiction!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-14, 1:52pm
Melody of Glass

The nice thing about the presses is that their resale value is fairly high too (for those of us who are not horrified by the thought of getting rid of any of them, that is!).

Coming soon...

Old 2013-12-06, 1:13am
Beadmaking.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMode View Post
The 1 1/4" Zooziis straight sided lentil was my first press and it is still one of my all time favorites!
The same here! I have also the slim version. Sometimes I combine them.

Tags
bead press, bead shaper, press