No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-08, 3:13pm

Default Butterfly or Full Size Creation Station

Hi all,

have any of you ever worked on a creation station? I think it's a luxury but it does appeal to me because of the more secure torch attachment. At home I'm working on the kitchen isle and it feels a little weird. do you thing its useful or more an unnecessary toy?

Harry
Old 2011-11-08, 3:16pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I've found it useful. I do use the elbow rests and occasionally the wrist rests.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-08, 6:00pm
grama punky - class junky

I love my creation station- both elbow and wrist rests are used every session.

Old 2011-11-08, 6:06pm
Dilly53

Default Creation Station

I couldn't make beads without the Creation Station. In fact, I wore out the wrist rest and my daughter had to repair it with PVC pipe and large screws. I work 4 to 5 hours daily and this would not be possible without the wrist rest. It's a great product.
Old 2011-11-09, 5:56am

I've ben thinking of getting one. After I bead for a while I get nerve pains in my elbows and my pinky and ring fingers go numb..... thinking that the rests would do me a world of good.
Old 2011-11-09, 5:58am

I got mine recently in the garage. Wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I'm really pleased with it. The wrist rests give me a little more control for dots and are also just nice to rest my wrist when working on something a long time. My hand doesn't get as tired turning the mandrel.

There was a bit of a learning curve as to where to place the rests for maximum comfort and use, but after a few beads you figure it out. You do have to mount it with screws to a table, so I don't think your island will work I tried using big c clamps from my hubby's shop but they just got in the way.

And if you don't like it it will sell well in the garage!

Old 2011-11-09, 6:41am
Peerless Thread Killer

I have one and love it. I've had it for years. I couldn't torch as well without it-it steadies my hands.

Old 2011-11-09, 6:50am

I've had a station for several years and have liked it a lot. I would suggest, however, that the kitchen is not a safe place to do torch/glass work.

Robert
Old 2011-11-09, 9:12am

I agree Robert, unfortunately it is the only space I have available I'm hoping for a better setup when I move next summer.

H
Old 2011-11-09, 9:54am
I speak Murrini!

Creation Station all the way! I have an inordinate fear (ok, straight up phobia!) of fire, so it's pretty weird that I work with a torch and glass at all! Still, if it weren't for the Creation Station and the security it offers, I would have given up glass after the first week as I was having major panic problems with the way my "teacher" had us hold the Mapp canister between our knees and leaning the torch head against a table where we sat!

I'd highly recommend one right away!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-11-09, 9:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I agree Robert, unfortunately it is the only space I have available I'm hoping for a better setup when I move next summer.

H
Is there aggressive ventilation? If not, next summer is a long time off and you and your family can ingest a lot of combustion by products and heavy metals in a year.
Old 2011-11-09, 11:34am
Loving learning

That sounds quite.....
ummm....
scary!!!

My teacher wouldn't turn on the ventilation because of the noise, but at least we weren't holding flame between our knees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Creation Station all the way! I have an inordinate fear (ok, straight up phobia!) of fire, so it's pretty weird that I work with a torch and glass at all! Still, if it weren't for the Creation Station and the security it offers, I would have given up glass after the first week as I was having major panic problems with the way my "teacher" had us hold the Mapp canister between our knees and leaning the torch head against a table where we sat!

Old 2011-11-09, 1:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post

OMG! I can't believe that an instructor would have you hold a lite torch between your knees! That would definitely freak me out! I'm with you- I too have a fear of fire. I surprise myself that I am into flamework. I would like to get a creation station too but right now I have a setup that I lean my arms on so they don't get tired while I work- otherwise I don't think I could flamework. I'm a lazy kid. LOL

~Paula
Old 2011-11-10, 7:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Is there aggressive ventilation? If not, next summer is a long time off and you and your family can ingest a lot of combustion by products and heavy metals in a year.
Larry is right and I'll add that, in my opinion, even with good ventilation your kitchen is a completely unsafe place to work with these materials. You might be better served to delay your glass work until you can set up in a safer location.

Robert
Old 2011-11-10, 5:47pm

There's descent ventilation and I barely ever cook. Delaying is not an option. Playing around with jewelry and glass is the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind in this shithole of a state.

H

Last edited by Harry; 2011-11-10 at 6:20pm.
Old 2011-11-17, 4:13pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Linda,

I have soft padded elbow rests and I still get the nerve pain and numbness in my pinky and ring fingers. If you find anything that helps please tell me so I can eliminate the pain too.

Thanks! :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindacw View Post
I've ben thinking of getting one. After I bead for a while I get nerve pains in my elbows and my pinky and ring fingers go numb..... thinking that the rests would do me a world of good.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-18, 10:26am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
There's descent ventilation and I barely ever cook. Delaying is not an option. Playing around with jewelry and glass is the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind in this shithole of a state.

H

I know what he means.................you're not in NJ are you, lol?

I know what you mean.

Namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible