Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-02-14, 1:06pm
cheeseburger enthusiast

Talking Any Boro class in North NJ?

hey folks,
i'm new to torch-working and really want to get the ball rolling quickly by finding a [somewhat] local studio to take beginner classes in borosilicate. i took an awesome [soft glass] bead-making course, fell in love with it and intend to learn boro asap. [specifically beads, marbles and pipes.]

i live in northern NJ and i'm wondering if anyone here at LwEtc. has any advice or knows anyone in the field looking for an inspired, driven student [or apprentice]. i'm willing to travel and dedicate a great deal of time to pursuing this dream and appreciate any suggestions or advice.

thanks in advance,

bill

fish.bowl.odyssey@gmail.com
Old 2013-02-14, 9:57pm

Ive heard of a school in Salem Nj but I never bothered to check it out. Might be worth a google.
Old 2013-02-14, 10:06pm
honorary bead lady

You could check out Carlisle and of course Glass Stock East in October but that is in South Jersey
Old 2013-02-15, 9:18am
cheeseburger enthusiast

im familiar with salem cc, they have art glass AND scientific gb and seem to be the place that all the signs are pointing to. i think i'm trying to make the college my last resort, only because i tend to do better in really small classes but thank you very much for the feedback
Old 2013-02-15, 9:53pm

What are the class sizes like at salem cc? I wouldnt imagine they are that big. But I am often wrong.
Old 2013-02-20, 4:34pm

Have you looked on the "classes" page here on LE? It's in the section below this one, in 'biz as usual'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2013-02-22, 9:53am
cheeseburger enthusiast

yeaa, unfortunately the only somewhat local thing i can find is glass stock east, which is awesome but months away. thanks for your feedback
Old 2013-02-22, 11:36am

You could try contacting some teachers, see if they take private students. I would suggest talking to the folks at Carlisle Machine Works, the torch makers - they have a classroom there for small workshops, they are in your area (sort of) and they know a *lot* of folks in the area who teach.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2013-02-24, 8:39am
cheeseburger enthusiast

that's a great idea, i'll get in touch with them. thanks a lot

Tags
apprentice, beginner, boro, new jersey