Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-24, 11:45am
Molten Glass Addict

Question First time floral implosion: warning, it's not pretty!

Ok, I was reading on another thread about boro implosions and wanted to see if I could get the hang of it. Well, the only thing hanging is my head...in shame! lol

So, shield your eyes! But please, any tips would really be appreciated. Sorry about the pics, for some reason my camera doesn't like taking pictures of 3D clear glass. I used 104 moretti, that's pretty much all I have. But for practice, I figured it will do.

The first one I made is on the right, the second is on the left. The first one completely blew out. The first petals are way out on the sides of the glass. I think I was pushing too hard? The second one (left) is flat on top.

Here's the first one. It's just a disaster, there's no way to sugar coat it. lol But I didn't expect it to be anything amazing.

With the second one I was just thrilled that the blue actually traveled up into the clear.

Hopefully the pictures will load...here goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me in my younger days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
< me now days

< me after a pomegranate rum slushie

Old 2013-10-24, 11:58am
Molten Glass Addict

I should explain what I did, that might help.

On the light colored one, the first one. I'm pretty sure I pressed too hard, and too many times. I wasn't sure how hard too hard was. The light blue was the first color, I think I pressed maybe four times before adding the yellow. It went all the way to the outer edge of the bead. I also think I have too much clear on top.

The second bead, the darker blue one. I was pressing lighter, and few times. No idea how many. I also think I left too much glass on the top because the flower it completely flat.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2013-10-24, 12:52pm

I love the wispy, ethereal colors in the first one. Might not be what you were going for, but it is pretty!
Lee
Old 2013-10-24, 1:05pm
Molten Glass Addict

That is so sweet to say!

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2013-10-26, 7:52am

not sure if this is how to embed photos, kinda confusing but here's a pic of one of my flower compressions. Im still trying to figure out how to make a more straight implosion rather then a big fat one. Not sure if the trick is in the angle at which you hold it once you start to get the pattern to condense and get that concave form at the edge or if I'm getting fat petals because I'm compressing too hard. I cant seem to get any subsequent layers of petals to reach out past the first layer. The first layer always gets too wide and hides everything underneath. but im having fun regardless. any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 2013-10-26, 7:55am

also one thing that greatly helped me was watching the Kobuki video on the corning museum of glass youtube channel. He does a demo of his flower marble and explains a lot. It was immensely helpful Ill post the link for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmoV2Y33UQ
Old 2013-10-26, 8:01am
Molten Glass Addict

Willyp, I watched that yesterday. Pretty darn amazing!

You're flowers looks great. I mean, they LOOK like flowers. Mine look like blobs. But I'm just going to have to get out there and keep at it! I'm looking forward to the challenge.

But yes, it would be nice to hear how to keep the flower from going flat. I hope someone lets us know a tip or two.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2013-10-26, 8:59am

for $25, the tutorial at the bottom of this page is money well spent.
http://www.r4glassstudio.com/
Old 2013-10-26, 9:16am

not sure if you're doing boro or soft glass but i find that when I use deeply saturated colors they come out much better. The white im using is just an import white but I like to use a thick color if im using it for the petals, I have ones that came out like the one on the right in your pic and thats just from not having a thick color used for the petal. another thing I did was to draw the design kobuki lays down with his stringers. ill show u a pic of it, i keep it right next to my torch when I'm attempting to make them. I usually dont try to get fancy and do all the cuts and pressing with the tungsten pic like he does but this helps me a lot.

Old 2013-10-26, 9:18am

notice how the lines go in and out of each other. that gives you the layered look to your petals. I do the stamen (dots not pictured) then do 2 zig zag lines and overlap, then 3. you obviously can keep going but I like to keep it simple for now, trying to do more ends up messy and my maria usually isnt big enough. hope this helps some. I just watched kobuki's video like 5 times over and really tried to pay attention to the angle that he holds and all the little things he does but doesnt really say he does as he is doing it. hope thats not confusing lol and another big thing to make sure that you do is leave enough "negative space" in between the lines that will be the petals, this helps to not smooth together and get you some nice separation in the petals. also, try to let the rod do the work and do not compress very hard at all. You wanna let the weight of the rod do most the work when your maria face is on the graphite pad.
Old 2013-10-26, 12:39pm
Molten Glass Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
for $25, the tutorial at the bottom of this page is money well spent.
http://www.r4glassstudio.com/
I've been looking at that, but I only use soft glass. I wonder if the techniques are the same?

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Old 2013-10-27, 5:08am

yes they are!
i was a 104 melter when i bought the tut. just get some decent (like 20mm or larger) rods of soft clear as it'll be easier to get a big gather formed w/o bubbles and scum.
Old 2013-10-27, 6:14am
Molten Glass Addict

Thanks for that diagram WillyP, that is helpful. I hope to be able to get out to the torch today. I think maybe I'll dry imploding some plain ole frit first, just to get the hang of getting it up into the glass.

< me in my younger days

< me now days

Tags
advise, beginner, critique, implosion