TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2017-06-04, 12:12pm

Default First torch, Bobcat or Carlisle Mini CC

I have been stalling on the purchase thinking that I should improve my skills on the HH. Then I had a lesson using a proper torch and realised that without a proper torch I am actually slowing progress, and I also felt that there was no point in thinking ahead by getting a bigger torch until I am better at heat control. So, I crossed out the Lynx and thought only about the Bobcat. I had also considered the National 8M at one point.

Then I read Corina Tettinger's torch reviews which has a few reservations about GTT and is strongly in favour of the Carlisle Mini CC.

For now, I am still using just 104 and I am unsure about what kind of style and objects I would like to make. I am reasonably sure that I want to try boro soon. Right now, I have not yet committed to a concentrator (thinking about a 10LPM) and am looking into O2 cylinders. As for fuel, there is no easy way of hooking up to natural gas and I am going stay with LPG bottles.

I would be very grateful for any comments on the two torches. Many thanks.

Last edited by pswrd; 2017-06-04 at 12:24pm. Reason: added link
Old 2017-06-04, 5:44pm

For a first torch on a concentrator I vote Alpha by Bethlehem.
It works great with a little bit of O2 and is very durable. It has a good adjustable flame too.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2017-06-04, 7:43pm
Dix Harrison

I also vote Alpha! Great engineering, versatile, economical to run. More than enough heat for boro!
Old 2017-06-05, 10:13pm
and your little dog too

I say Alpha too, it's actually my third torch! I just got one and I love it. I started on a HH, went to a GTT cricket, wanted a new GTT but I ordered just a bobcat no paint LAST June and still have no torch and no word other than 'there is no set time for when they are done'

If you look here the Alpha = to a Lynx & Carlisle for a fraction
It's way hotter than my cricket and I worked boro once in awhile no prob. on that, marbles and pendants I mostly did.

http://www.bethlehemburners.com/reso...sked-questions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2017-06-06, 1:00pm
Salt Box Beads

The radiant heat may be good for keeping a bead bathed but it is terrible for your arms...I had to buy kevlar sleeves because of the heat of the Mini CC which burned my forearms after about half an hour of torching.

Felt like a sun burn. It may not bother all peeps, maybe you would be one of the lucky ones. The heat went right through my hubby's old cotton plaid shirt I use. Then I started wearing it with the Kevlar sleeves. MUCH better.

IMHO it would be better to learn to keep your beads sufficiently heated in the Alpha flame. My choice is also the Alpha.
Old 2017-06-06, 6:19pm

I love my Carlisle mini-cc. I don't really have any complaints about it so far, bought it about 5 years ago.
Old 2017-06-07, 8:09am

I used a Mini CC for years and a Cricket for a while, as well as many others, but never a Bobcat. For most work, I prefer the Alpha over any other small torches I've tried.

Last edited by dusty; 2017-06-07 at 8:12am.
Old 2017-06-07, 9:03am
da General

Another vote for a Bethlehem and its line of torches. Start with the Alpha and once you figured out what type of work you really want to do, you may end up upgrading to a Bravo!

Definitely look into getting an oxygen concentrator – and go with a higher LPM (a 15 0r 1 20 instead of just 10) one if budget allows. You will be able to dial down the output and get purer oxygen!

ETA: I started on a HH and upgraded to a Bobcat shortly after, then to a Barracuda (the predecessor of the Bethlehem Bravo) a year after that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
|
Old 2017-06-07, 9:12am

I own a Mini CC I use rarely when I do figures. The knobs get to hot while using the torch. Sometimes it burns a little turning off the torch. I love my Beth torches and my GTT torches! I think the Alpha is the best intro torch!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2017-06-07, 10:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I own a Mini CC I use rarely when I do figures. The knobs get to hot while using the torch. Sometimes it burns a little turning off the torch. I love my Beth torches and my GTT torches! I think the Alpha is the best intro torch!
I've never had the problems with radiant heat being uncomfortable or knobs getting hot with the Mini CC. It and the Minor can get a smaller neutral/reducing flame without glowing ports than any other torches I've tried (I've never found a flame that makes its ports glow, and I tried).

I like all of the torches I've tried. I used to dislike the Minor, but it's grown on me, too. The Alpha is an easy pick for a general-use beginner torch. For a teaching studio, I might get Mini CC's or Minors (probably Minors, because it's easier to see and direct where their heat is going), just because, to my knowledge, there's no flame you can run on them that will mess them up.

Last edited by dusty; 2017-06-08 at 5:21am.
Old 2017-06-08, 5:38pm

Honestly I dont believe in "beginner" tools at all. Decide what you want to do with it in the next 4-5 years and then purchase a torch for that. Why make plans to buy a torch that you most likely wont want to keep? From all of the torches listed I would suggest the GTT Lynx. It is the most versatile and capable of everything suggested and if you decide that this is not for you they have the best resale value of all as well.

Tags
beginner, bobcat, carlisle torch, propane, torches