Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-09-27, 2:24pm
too many rods in the fire

Default Double Helix Garage Sale Box - what glasses did you get?

And what are your favorites thus far?

I thought it might be fun to start a thread where folks who scored one of the DH Garage Sale boxes either listed what was in their box, or which items they received that they've played with and really liked, etc.

Also, I know most of mine were not exact matches to any listed on DH's archives section of their site, so I went through all the test batches and archives and tried to figure out what they were related to.

I got two 1-lb bundles of clear glass and don't know if it's a test batch of Aether or Zephyr or something else entirely. One is labeled CC.b and I will have to double check the other one.

It looks like I got some early batches of Clio light and Clio dark, some Ossa?, a test batch of one of the Terra variants, another of, I think, Terranova light, a test batch of Hyperion, and a variety of other cool stuff.

So if you got a box and have played with some or all of it and want to share your results, please do so.

And if you got some stuff like I did, that remains a mystery, post the label and a description of the glass here and maybe others (like Hayley??) will know what it is!!

Here's a few I'm not sure about:

TL.c
CC.b (as mentioned above, appears clear - maybe a clear catalyst?)
VK.a (I think it's a striking)
SK.i (also a striking?)
EU.c (ivoryish batch of Euros?)
TNL.b (Terranova maybe?)

And a HUGE MWAHAAA to Jed and Julie at Double Helix foe being so wonderful and offering up these amazing boxes of wonder and joy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SassyGlass9; 2015-09-27 at 2:28pm. Reason: A thank you to Jed and Julie!!!
Old 2015-09-27, 5:40pm

OMG!!!! Soooo much fun today!

I got some torch time, and I decided I was going to start out by making a test bead (using my baroque bead shaper by Donna) of each of the colors in my Garage Sale box.

I wrote down each label (as tagged) on a chart, then made the test bead, and after each bead i wrote down basic notes on whether or not I reduced it or struck it, what I noticed). Once they come out of the kiln, I will add more notes, since I have a feeling some of these might be kiln striking as well. There were a couple super exciting colors, and some pleasant surprises from glass that looked pretty blah in rod form.

I also made a tiny paddle on the end of each rod after I finished my test bead, so I could at a glance see a little of what that color does.

FUN, FUN, FUN!!!!

No promises about timing, but I will try to post pics in this thread at some point (once the beads are done and cleaned etc.) - maybe a pic of the rod with the bead next to it?

Old 2015-09-27, 5:57pm

Hi René! FYI, there is a discussion over on Facebook where some of us have started posting photos, but it's nice to have something over here too. I made a spacer bead and leaf from mine so far. Here's what I got in my box:

Hyperion 3rds, Elektra 3rds, CX.d, orphan, SK2.d, OP538, OC.a, TE.c, SK.h, OX.A, OX464, KR.A, IL.d, EU.d, OP470, CL/OD.c, ST430, and WH.a

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2015-09-27, 6:00pm

I think the EU batches are Euros, but the one I got is darker purple. There seem to be a lot of the SK batches, not to be confused with the SK2 batches. I wish I knew what all the code numbers mean! I'm guessing CL=Clio, OX=Oxalis, TE=Terra. From the website it looks like CX is Hyperion.

Old 2015-09-27, 6:07pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) View Post
Hi René! FYI, there is a discussion over on Facebook where some of us have started posting photos, but it's nice to have something over here too. I made a spacer bead and leaf from mine so far. Here's what I got in my box:

Hyperion 3rds, Elektra 3rds, CX.d, orphan, SK2.d, OP538, OC.a, TE.c, SK.h, OX.A, OX464, KR.A, IL.d, EU.d, OP470, CL/OD.c, ST430, and WH.a
What is the facebook link?

Pam
Old 2015-09-27, 6:16pm

It's in the group Lampwork Beadmaking Tips, Tricks and Questions. If you aren't already a member you should join.

Old 2015-09-27, 9:00pm

Hi Diane!!

Here's what I got:

VK,
CX.d
AK 424
ST 430
TL.c
OX 461
TE.d
OC.a
CL/OD.d
SK.i
TNL.b
CC 629 3rd's
CL/DK.d
OSLT.a
EU.c
CC.b
Thallo 3rd's

In looking on DH's archives, I figured out that the CL/DK and the CL/OD are both Clio - I am fairly sure the CL/DK is Clio Dark, not sure what the OD indicates. Both came out very much like regular Clio on my test beads.

I really liked the colors I got out of the CX.d, so if that's a test batch for Hyperion, I may have to get some!

The EU batch I got looks like regular Effetre White! But it comes out like a creamy caramel, very pretty.

I am in LOVE with the Thallo.

And the CC 629 3rd's - OMG - LOVE! I can't figure out what the CC 629 is though! It's dated 5/5/15 which is pretty cool - my lampwork "anniversary" is 5/5!! If anyone has an idea of what this is, please let me know.

The ST 430 is a opaque medium green rod, but was probably the biggest surprise of all - when worked, it turned a bright, almost sparkly COPPER color in places! Gorgeous! I think one of the newer DH colors (Iaso?) is supposed to go very coppery, so this may be a test batch for it...

The CC.b is another completely clear rod, but when reduced it looks like an Aurae derivative.

The OSLT.a is one of the sparkly textured rods in a cream color, and no real surprises in what it did when worked.

I will have to check out the FB group also, even though I am FB-resistant, lol.

Old 2015-12-16, 5:18pm
Avada Kedavra

I didn't get a garage box (but some of the other Aussie's did) and I've very generously been given rods of some of this glass by some of them. I've written up the tests I've done so far and thought you might find the link useful.

I agree that the lampworking tips and tricks facebook group is extremely friendly and giving, there is a great thread on the topic there.

https://alchemistressbeads.wordpress...rage-box-2015/

Last edited by Metamorphi; 2015-12-17 at 2:09pm.
Old 2016-01-02, 8:18am

Metamorphi, your blog post is one of the most helpful things on silver glass I've ever seen anyone post in years. Not just for the testing, but also in getting me to think about how to test things myself. I'm kinda bummed that it takes 32 pages to print, because it's been printed out and stuck in my precious "Really Really Useful" tutorials binder. I soooo appreciate all the work you did for that. I hope you do a part two as well!

-Laura
Old 2016-04-24, 2:52pm
Loving learning

I have been lax in testing, but today I tried some of the SK2.b? I think. I put it over cobalt (Vetrofond 242 I think?) and was pleasantly surprised to get some blues and greens, at least before the kiln. Next I decided to try it over something lighter, and a rod of periwinkle was handy so I used that as a base. It didn't really do anything much, just some greenish amber from what I could see, so just to test it I added some cobalt over top of the DH that had been spiraled on. It again reacted with the cobalt. The lines had what appeared to be a green halo. I added some dots, and they changed in side the dots, although it was hard to tell to what exactly.

I grabbed a short of Effetre 253 (something pink maybe? acts like EDP) and my doggone release broke before I could shape it, but I added a little of the DH anyway, and I think it is going to be similar to the one over periwinkle.

I was done, and shut down, but next time I will try it over black I think. I have good luck over black with some of the DH stuff.

I will try to add more info after they come out.

Last edited by Eileen; 2016-04-24 at 2:57pm.