Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-01-05, 8:12am

Default Looking for Czech glass: Uranium green

I am looking for a source for the Czech glass Uranium Green. I believe the color code is 8011. Uranium yellow is 8013, and available from several (Dutch) shops. The green however.....nowhere to be found. It is a 104 COE glass from Preciosa Ornela.
I got some previously from the Czech Republic myself, but hoping to buy some online.....
Old 2016-01-06, 1:54pm
Naysayer

Magpies?
Hmmm no, i see it's yellow
https://squareup.com/market/magpiesglasscache

I have some green, but was under the impression that it's not 104, I thought uranium was a weird COE? Like 114 or something...which surprised me that the yellow is 104 apparently too.
Have you used it with other glasses?

I don't have enough to sell, I never buy big :/ Perhaps, have you posted in a fb group? I got mine through a bulk buy a couple years ago, maybe someone has some extra?
Old 2016-01-06, 2:00pm

Thanks.
The yellow does appear to be abundant. I was just in the actual town where they produce the glass a few months ago.....should have brought some then.
A lot of the Czech glass has a slightly different COE than 104, but the Czechs themselves appear to mix it without problems. The uranium itself is no different from the other glass types. Or more specifically, it is not the uranium that changes the COE. I have used it with other glass, dots and such. Have not tried encasing it, which may cause issues.
Old 2016-01-07, 8:28pm
Catnip Pusher

I have some "New Uranium" Czech that is marked as 112coe.

Aimee
Old 2016-01-07, 10:43pm

Preciosa-Ornela has 8011 as a color number but it is Jonquil Yellow (striking yellow). Strikes to a milky yellow per Petra at Preciosa.

Uranium yellow 8013 if you look at the ends appears green and glows green under blacklight.

The COE spec sheet has the colored transparents listed at 110 COE. However I made a bead using two different colors a teal blue and a spring green the other day and there was a compatibility issue. It cracked right where the colors met.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-01-08, 1:37am

You are right, 8011 is not the right number for the uranium green I am looking for. I do know it exists, and has been around for a long time. Maybe it is no longer in production. When this type of uranium glass was first made, the colors were named by their maker as 'Anna Green' and 'Anna Yellow'. Anna was (depending on which history book you pick) his wife or his daughter.
Old 2016-01-08, 7:25am

LOL. Thanks for the background 8013 is listed on the sheet as Anna Yellow. Nice to know why. Many of the colors seem to be named for towns in the Czech Republic ... guessing it has to do with where or who they were developed by.

I can email Petra at Preciosa and see if I can locate some for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-01-08, 6:29pm

I bought a ton of old Czech glass rods a year ago, but most were not labeled. Do you have a picture of the rod that you are looking for? I can always look to see if I have any.
Old 2016-01-11, 8:28am

I heard back from Petra at Preciosa. They do have an Uranium Green. However it is only available as "Pressing Glass" not lampworking glass.

Old 2016-01-18, 7:52am

Okay ... I recontacted Petra because inquiring minds want to know.

I can get the Uranium Green in Rod form (the billy club sized object). Would there be interest in Uranium Green frit?? The COE is similar to the other transparent ~104 line (around 110 COE). "Should" work like 96 on 104 but testing will need done.

I can also "see" if I can get someone to melt it and pull it down, if there is interest.

Old 2016-01-18, 2:19pm

I don't really use much frit, but I can recommend the vibrant transparant green that is Czech Uranium green to anyone. And it looks really cool with a blacklight!
Old 2016-01-21, 1:58am
Naysayer

It really wasn't all that long ago we did the bulk buy though? I'm going to guess 2 years. What is pressing glass, rods? er...rods we are used to, 6ish mm?
Old 2016-01-21, 7:16am

Pressing glass is the same glass, but it is molten into much thicker rods, about and inch thick and three feet wide. It is used for making molded glass beads, so more factory type work.

Old 2016-01-21, 10:53am

Does anyone have a picture of it? I don't use much frit but always on the look out for a nice vibrant green.

Old 2016-01-21, 1:19pm

The glass is just scheduled to be made end of February (currently sold out). I will have some after that ... if for no other reason than just for myself to play with and test with.

Old 2016-01-21, 8:13pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

Laura, when you get some rods, can I buy some, maybe 1/4 lb from you? If not that much, a couple of rods?
I'd be interested in some frit if I can't get rods.

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2016-01-21, 11:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillie View Post
Laura, when you get some rods, can I buy some, maybe 1/4 lb from you? If not that much, a couple of rods?
I'd be interested in some frit if I can't get rods.
Tillie, sent you a PM. I will initially be getting pressing rods (not lampworking cane). If you are interested in chunks of that to pull thick stringers from ... I'm sure we can work something out.

I have a resource to have it melted and pulled down into lampworking cane if enough interest in the glass occurs.

Old 2016-01-22, 12:06am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Does anyone have a picture of it? I don't use much frit but always on the look out for a nice vibrant green.
I'm sure you know what 'vaseline' glass looks like? It's like that, bright transparent green and glows too under blacklight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
The glass is just scheduled to be made end of February (currently sold out). I will have some after that ... if for no other reason than just for myself to play with and test with.
oh i see, that makes sense. I thought you meant they no longer make it.
Seeing as it's what, 110 it can be mixed with our 104?
Old 2016-01-22, 8:16am

All of Czech's lampworking cane is 103 to 110 (there might be one or two colors they say are 113). So testing before full production mode is strongly encouraged. Some colors play better than others.

It should play well with the other transparents since they are all spec'd to be at the same COE ... but I've already made one bead where they "should" have been compatible and definitely were not ... developed cracks right where the two colors met.

I haven't used the glass enough to speak to how compatible it is, unfortunately.

Here is an image I found out on beadcollectornet (our own Floorasp) of a Uranium Green Pressing Rod. This isn't Preciosa-Ornela but it will give you an idea of what I expect it to look like.
Attached Images

Last edited by MagpieGlass; 2016-01-22 at 8:32am.
Old 2016-01-22, 9:27am

Yum! The only glass I've seen close to that color is Vetrofond pale emerald. Laura, I'd be in for some chunks to pull or rods. That would make such pretty leaves and I bet it would be gorgeous etched. The VPE is.

Old 2016-01-22, 9:47am

Have you looked at their other assortment of non-UV greens. They seems to have every imaginable bright tone and tint. The Uranium Yellow rods actually look green when you look at them from the end of the rod. And Charmaine at Encircle Designs makes hollows with it that at the bead holes look more green than yellow.

I"m having fun exploring all the colors.

Old 2016-01-22, 8:53pm
Master Procrastinator

Is it the 8013 you're looking for? I have some that I got a few years ago. It's lampworking cane, not the thick glassblowing rod size.

Old 2016-01-22, 9:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Is it the 8013 you're looking for? I have some that I got a few years ago. It's lampworking cane, not the thick glassblowing rod size.
8013 is Uranium Yellow and I have that in stock.

this is 8030 Uranium Green (or Anna Green). Same as the Yellow but Green.

It just doesn't come pulled down into cane. But I already have someone on tap to pull to cane if enough people want me to carry it that way.

Old 2016-01-23, 12:10am

About that specific rod from Beadcollector: it is different than a regular (pressing) rod. It had a dark green (not uranium) core. The outside is uranium green. It is used for molded beads with a darker center. It makes this rod look darker as a whole than uranium green is. The variety of pressing rods that has been made over the years in the Czech republic is huge.
I was looking for the uranium green for a specific project: The Sonoran glass school Flame Off where I will be competing. Wanted to use a variety of UV reactive glass. I have decided on a different project now.
Old 2016-02-02, 3:07pm

I use mostly czech glass, buying it when I travel there. The yellow uranium dont like to be encased, and be very careful with mixes with opaque colours. But that is typical czech glass. One must use them like the chech doo, decoration outside, not inside mixes. And little heat. Uranium is a wonder.... It gives a lot of great reactions with silver glass - but dont overheat it. It becomes like a dirty jonquil.
I have not found green uranium..

BLOG
Nope, not updated...
Old 2016-02-02, 3:26pm

Dangerous place to go shopping btw..

Need more..

whoops....
https://trollsmed.files.wordpress.co...abl5.jpg?w=500

Dont do it. Expensive... you dont stop..

BLOG
Nope, not updated...