LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-04-07, 9:07pm

Default Silver foil or silver leaf?

Which applications, types of beads effects, etc. why choose leaf? Why choose foil?

Are there any "rules" to go by?

How many of you just use foil? Why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2015-04-07, 10:15pm
Fried Cat

Foil gives you actual, visible dots of silver. Just like if you melted wire or mesh. Mesh or wire will give you a reactive pattern. The line around silver wrap for instance. Foil gives the over laid reaction like leaf, but it leaves the beaded silver bits like fine mesh. It's a good way to get both leaf reaction and look of melted wire beaded silver.

Leaf leaves a tiny bit of silver, but it mostly fumes into the glass or causes a reaction.

Foil, if you apply, and heat to white hot, will also pit.

Last edited by SGA; 2015-04-07 at 10:17pm.
Old 2015-04-08, 2:20am
Slogan Challenged...

ooh I didn't know that about pitting. Thanks Shardi!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-04-08, 9:00am

foil is also way way easier to work with. the leaf...you can't touch it w/o it sticking to EVERYTHING.
foil, even the thinner foils, you can handle just fine.

i use it mainly for one thing, and that's galaxy beads. make a small donut of black (boro or soft....but i use boro) and smooth it out on marver. heat it, and pick up (roll up) a strip of foil that has been previously cut and laid out on your marver. marver it in a bit, do NOT touch it with direct flame.
encase with your favorite clear and melt into whatever shape you desire. the silvers reactions on a black base (even cobalt works for this) creates the most gorgeous reactions.
Old 2015-04-09, 2:19pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

I hate leaf, it sticks to everything including your fingers! It gets sucked into my ventilation fan and there's really no way to cut it unless you want it to stick to the scissors.

Leaf is my favorite but don't forget to burnish it onto the bead by rolling it around a marver or flat surface after you stick it to the bead.

Old 2015-04-09, 2:39pm
Phill

I saw the trick to cutting either of them is to put it between two layers of paper and cut the sandwich with extra paper at one edge to act as a handle.

Then move it where you want it and take the top paper off half way and pull the bottom from under it.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-04-09 at 2:44pm.
Old 2015-04-09, 2:48pm

Question

I was told that it was better to use silver leaf to make silvered dark Ivory stringers. Don't know if that's true or why.
Old 2015-04-09, 3:43pm
Fried Cat

Rub your fingers on graphite. It won't stick then.
Old 2015-04-09, 6:48pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
foil is also way way easier to work with. the leaf...you can't touch it w/o it sticking to EVERYTHING.
foil, even the thinner foils, you can handle just fine.

i use it mainly for one thing, and that's galaxy beads. make a small donut of black (boro or soft....but i use boro) and smooth it out on marver. heat it, and pick up (roll up) a strip of foil that has been previously cut and laid out on your marver. marver it in a bit, do NOT touch it with direct flame.
encase with your favorite clear and melt into whatever shape you desire. the silvers reactions on a black base (even cobalt works for this) creates the most gorgeous reactions.
I'm trying this at the torch tomorrow! Thanks for the idea

FB friends
Old 2015-04-09, 10:25pm
Slogan Challenged...

I have found a nice way to work with leaf is over a damp or wet backing sheet placed on top of a marver. Put your leaf on top of that, and roll your hot bead over it. The hot glass will pick up strips of leaf. The paper won't ignite as long as it is wet/damp.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-04-10, 4:39am

^^ that trick also works well for foil, because even though foil won't stick to your fingers, a light breeze will send it flying.

but for people who only have leaf.....try and fold it over itself a time or two. then put between two pieces of parchment paper (wax paper works too) and then cut with scissors. works a charm.
Old 2015-04-10, 6:06am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I use leaf on a wet paper towel. I use the same one over & over & just dampen it when I'm ready to use it. The hot glass will only pick up the leaf. I just add another sheet of leaf when that on runs out. I do the same thing with gold leaf.

Vivian

-

Old 2015-04-10, 8:50am

that's a damn good idea!!
Old 2015-04-10, 9:31pm
Slogan Challenged...

I have heard that a general rule of thumb is use leaf if you want some color shifting, and foil if you want some silver to show. The look of the same frit or glass will differ over leaf and foil.

Both these beads were made with rubino, transparent cobalt and clear. The first one has fine silver leaf, and the second has foil.

Name:  1002657_10202433908352405_5656877414400547314_n.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  46.8 KB Name:  14020_10202433913592536_7613673067883805350_n.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  5.2 KB

(photos are from JamieLynn of Howaco Glass)

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-04-11, 6:38am

^^^ awesome!!
Old 2015-04-11, 5:54pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
I have heard that a general rule of thumb is use leaf if you want some color shifting, and foil if you want some silver to show. The look of the same frit or glass will differ over leaf and foil.

Both these beads were made with rubino, transparent cobalt and clear. The first one has fine silver leaf, and the second has foil.

Attachment 153904 Attachment 153905

(photos are from JamieLynn of Howaco Glass)
Thank you for that info!!

FB friends
Old 2015-04-11, 6:02pm

Smile

Wow! What totally different looks. I like the colors of the bead made with leaf although both beads are attractive.