Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-06-20, 4:03am

Default frit turning black

Hi..I have a lot of frit..many mixtures that work wonderfully but I also have many one color frit and when I try to use these..even the lightest colors..they turn very dark or black.I am fairly new at this..can anyone think of what I might be doing wrong..and please don't get too technical on me..lol..Thank you for any advice ♥
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-20, 5:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Hi..I have a lot of frit..many mixtures that work wonderfully but I also have many one color frit and when I try to use these..even the lightest colors..they turn very dark or black.I am fairly new at this..can anyone think of what I might be doing wrong..and please don't get too technical on me..lol..Thank you for any advice ♥
What kind of frit? 96 COE? If it is furnace glass, some of it is very dense, as it is meant to be blown out in furnace work.

Hopefully there will be people that can be a bit more helpful about it though, 'cause that is pretty much the extent of my knowledge. I just remember how disappointed I was with iris blue and iris green cane - it all looked black to me. I still haven't played with it any more.
Old 2015-06-20, 6:02am

I think you have just answered my question..I am an idiot its furnace glass..is there any way to deal with it do you think?..and thank you.
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-06-20, 6:04am

Try them on clear? And sparingly. That is my only suggestion.
Old 2015-06-20, 6:15am
Loving learning

Is it fine or chunky?
What base are you using? Could they be reacting to the base color?
Maybe try making a gather of clear, dipping in the frit, heating in and pulling stringer to use.
Old 2015-06-20, 6:34am

You might have some striking colors, as well. Raku or multicolor looks different in their cold state from what they'll look like when "struck". A lot of silver glass can also be struck and will turn a different color(s).

Mimi
Old 2015-06-20, 8:42am

Using some furnace glass, especially on ivory/yellow, will turn black if heated for too long. That's what makes that interesting black border when you heat it for short periods.
Old 2015-06-20, 9:16am
Phill

Mix a little in a lot of clear and pull stringer?
Old 2015-06-20, 11:13am

Thank you all for the great ideas! I will try every one.The frit that turns black is Zimmermann..and yes..most is very reactive.My Kugler frits do not do the same ..they behave like other frits.I have a fondness for ivory bases so I'd better switch to clear or very pale transparents.Thanks again
"

Old 2015-06-20, 1:06pm
Slogan Challenged...

yes ivory bases are generally a no no for any kind of reactive frit. Silver pink is less reactive and still close to an ivory-ish color, there are several others you could try too like opal yellow, etc....

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2015-06-20, 6:41pm

Thanks Kristen!
"

Old 2015-06-27, 10:35am
It's all about the color.

I have some charts on my site that may help you out. I've tested many of the frits available and in the 3rd column of the charts, you'll find how they tested out on Ivory. I even have some Zimmerman colors tested.

http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2015-06-27, 12:08pm

Also, try an oxy rich flame. Propane can turn some frits much darker.

Barbara
Old 2015-06-29, 2:00pm

Thank you ladies..will do!
"