Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-06-25, 5:43am
Angie09

Debbie ... the 1/16" sleeve is a long one and the 5/64" is a short one. You insert the 5/64" into the 3/32" to use 5/64" mandrels. I'm thinking maybe you have your sleeve sizes mixed up. Of all the sleeves, the only short one is the 5/64" ... maybe you're really using the 1/8" and just not realizing it? I know that sounds too simple but I have bought MANY mandrel sleeves from Scott over the last 6 or so years and I'm sure of what I'm saying.

I'd be really interested in seeing if the ones from ACE will work ... please let us know. And, for hammering the ends of mandrels ... well I just have tooooo many mandrels to do this. I'd rather mangle them until they hold like in my photo. Hope some of this helps.... I know the frustration. I've gotten shorts in the the wire at the hand piece on all my spinners and it will take numerous phone calls (I've stopped emailing) and a couple of months to get it fixed. I love Scott's product ... it's just a shame he's not more customer service oriented. Here's hoping the new sleeves work!!!
Old 2015-06-25, 12:02pm
what's a senior moment ?

Nope, I don't have my sleeve sizes mixed up. I have one of the original spinners that only has the one up and down switch and one knob for speed. The removable sleeves that fit into the spinner are - 1/8", 3/32" and 1/16". Have had it for 10 years. I have 1/8" mandrels as I mentioned previously that I use rarely that fit in the first (removable) SLEEVE and I have 3/32" mandrels I use in the (removable) SLEEVE that fits into the 1/8" sleeve. I do not use and have never used the 1/16" sleeve that fits into the 3/32" removable sleeve and mandrels. Too flimsy. I have never used ANY other size sleeves or mandrels EVER.

First photo
Far left, the tiny insert he sent me which is of no use to me. It DOES fit into the 1/8" sleeve but not sure what it's suppose to do in there. It does NOT do a thing to help stabelize or hold the 3/32" mandrel steady. The 3/32" mandrels don't come close to fitting in that little thing and the 1/16" mandrels he sent me slide right thru it. Next to it is 1/16" sleeve, then the 3/32" sleeve then last on the far right is the 1/8" sleeve.

I've most likely got you beat on buying sleeves. I've been buying them since 2005.

I am hoping the Ace brass tubes work too. Only time will tell. I won't know when they are sent to the store until I get an email from them saying it's arrived.

Second photo
What the original spinner came with all those 10 years ago minus the mandrel - and yes that is a 1/16" sleeve and mandrel on the top. I just put that in there to show all three sleeves all connected.

The really sad part about all this - is having to do all this ourselves. There really is no excuse for that. Yes, I could call him again but every time I have called I've gotten voice mail or answer machine or some such thing. I have a landline so it's long distance for me to call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dla; 2015-06-25 at 1:50pm.
Old 2015-06-25, 1:09pm
fritaholic

Somethimes the only thing that holds my mandrels in place is the bead release. I dip longer than I need and push the mandrel in right up to and into the release.
Angie, I have 3 mandrel spinners because of the issue with them shorting out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lisa
Old 2015-06-25, 1:17pm

I think he sends whatever length sleeves he has. I've had problems too getting my mandrels properly fitted into the sleeves. It is my biggest complaint about the spinner and a reason I would not necessarily recommend buying one. I didn't realize getting replacement sleeves had become an issue.
Old 2015-06-25, 2:53pm
Ready to hit the road

I have a small needlenose pliers with a cutter on it and make a couple of cuts on the mandrel itself.

I turn the pliers so there's a good dent (just don't bend the mandrel). When I put the mandrel into the tube, I twist it until it catches.

As far as the shorts, yah, I've got four EMS too. Tried fixing them myself and ended up buying a new one and using electrical tape to tape down the wire to the spinner so that connection doesn't get wiggled. That's the best advice I could give anyone buying one, tape that sucker down tight!

Old 2015-06-25, 4:23pm
what's a senior moment ?

Interesting about the bead release.

I've only ever had one issue with the wiring many years ago (knock on wood) and Scott took care of it in a very timely manner. I sent it in and within 10 days or so I had it back (gotta count for shipping both ways from Georgia to Seattle). I simply cannot justify having more than one spinner. I've considered it but just keep on walkin' by that window. lol ! Course, I don't torch every day either.

What exactly does your mandrel "catch" on once inside the tube Betsy ?

Old 2015-06-25, 4:28pm
Angie09

Scott has taken care of several of my spinners that have had shorts in the wiring. Every spinner I've had eventually has this problem and I hope he will continue to fix them for me. I don't understand not taking care of the customer ... he's now selling a (what looks to be pretty good) special camera holder so you can video yourself. Great inventor ... great inventions... but Scott ... where are you?????
Old 2015-06-25, 5:27pm
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
What exactly does your mandrel "catch" on once inside the tube Betsy ?
The notches I put in the mandrel catch on the end of the tube (I squish the end of the tube together, so it's more of an oval).

Old 2015-06-25, 8:18pm
Dix Harrison

If we could determine the inner and outer dimensions of the brass tubing, I would think replacement sleeves could be made from tubing purchased here.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXSU38&P=8

Anyone have the ability to do a highly-accurate measurement?
I bet we can work through this issue as a team...
Old 2015-06-25, 8:20pm
Dix Harrison

This is the K&S website...

http://www.ksmetals.com/26.html
Old 2015-06-25, 8:50pm
Glass-aholic

If your not putting the mandrel a but 1/2 way in the kiln (chili pepper style) may I suggest wrapping the ends of your mandrel with electrical tape, Med, or KT tape. Not a perfect solution but it will get you grip. Other than that dipping them in a thin coat of bead release on both ends for grip or enameling the ends may give it that extra width it needs for you to get the job done, and it would go in the kiln

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2015-06-26, 4:07am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
If your not putting the mandrel a but 1/2 way in the kiln (chili pepper style) may I suggest wrapping the ends of your mandrel with electrical tape, Med, or KT tape. Not a perfect solution but it will get you grip. Other than that dipping them in a thin coat of bead release on both ends for grip or enameling the ends may give it that extra width it needs for you to get the job done, and it would go in the kiln
Can't imagine any of this would work. Tape is a really bad idea. Adding anything to the mandrels will make them too big. I'm thinking especially enamel. Bead release will make a powdery mess especially if you make alot of beads at each sitting not to mention all the bead release you'd be using and would probably end up causing issues with the spinner and/or the sleeves eventually.

Old 2015-06-26, 6:25am
Dix Harrison

I had always expected that the brass mandrel sleeves would wear with use. However, hoping to "fix" a worn-out sleeve, is not what I would aim to accomplish. Not with tape. Not with bead release. Not with any temporary solution.

I want brass replacement sleeves to be available in a timely, economical and reliable manner. I don't mind purchasing the "parts" and making them myself. But, I am not waiting two months.
Old 2015-06-26, 6:25am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
This is the K&S website...

http://www.ksmetals.com/26.html
I've already ordered tubes at Ace Hdw as stated in one of the posts above. Waiting on the arrival date so I can pick them up.

ETA: We posted at the same time. Oh I agree with the fixing part. I really don't want to fix them either other than "pinching" the points to get the mandrels to fit. That's why I decided to order the tubes and hopefully accomplish a fix myself. We shall see.

Last edited by dla; 2015-06-26 at 6:29am.
Old 2015-06-26, 6:29am
Dix Harrison

Looks like Delphi Glass has replacement sleeves for the EMS. I would call before ordering to be sure they are in stock.
Old 2015-06-26, 6:33am
what's a senior moment ?

Believe me, I've done the searching. I would bet the sleeves they sell will do the same as all the others since Scott insists there have been no changes made to the way they are manufactured.

Old 2015-06-26, 12:58pm
what's a senior moment ?

Ok, Scott and I have been back and forth with emails for most of the day and I think we are getting somewhere. lol ! I can't take a call from him today but hopefully next week. I'm outta here for this evening. This weekend, I plan on playing around with the sleeves I do have and seeing what I come up with.

Old 2015-06-26, 9:02pm
Dix Harrison

Thanks for doing this! I am hoping you come up with a solution.

I would be interested in some replacement sleeves (for 1/16" and 3/32") and in adding a 5/64" size to my sleeves if you find a successful option.
Old 2015-06-27, 3:07am
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
Thanks for doing this! I am hoping you come up with a solution.

I would be interested in some replacement sleeves (for 1/16" and 3/32") and in adding a 5/64" size to my sleeves if you find a successful option.
I'm not sure how this will all end but that's what experimenting is all about. Hopefully we can get a new perspective at the very least.

As for purchasing new sleeves, buy some and play with them. Please don't depend on me or wait to find out what I come up with. lol ! It could be a long time before I find an answer to my question. lol ! Experiment, try things out, see what you come up with.

Last edited by dla; 2015-06-27 at 3:28am.
Old 2015-06-27, 3:30am
what's a senior moment ?

And as for recommending this tool - I would still highly recommend it. Especially to anyone with arm, hand or wrist issues like myself. I love my spinner and would never, ever get rid of it.

Old 2015-06-27, 6:01pm
Ready to hit the road

Same here. Hand cramps were slowing me down until I got the EMS.

Old 2015-07-06, 10:49am
what's a senior moment ?

Here's an update to those of you that might be interested.
I just got off the phone with Scott. We had a great conversation about the issues of loose mandrels as well as other "stuff". lol !
I have tried his suggestions and they seem to work out well. Basically, it is the size of the mandrels themselves giving me fits more now then in the past. I did find another video of his too that works well. Scott said he needs to update those by the way. lol !
He said to keep manipulating the tip of the sleeves with a smooth pair of pliers putting pressure on the lower part of the slits working upward if necessary. Slow is better and moving the pliers like in the video below is the best way to do it.
Plus, watching these video's has really helped as well. I had NEVER seen them before recently. Go figure. lol !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQBdWiODeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV6Vlwc-rlc

I am still waiting on the tubing I ordered but now, I doubt I'll need it. Still, will check it out.
Oh and I really surprised myself too. I bought a second spinner. sigh. Swore I would never ever do that but I saw it at a price on Ebay I just could not pass up ! It's this one http://www.bearfootart.com/item_1/EL...-POWER-BOX.htm that now comes in a zippered carrying case.
I have to say, the speed in which the new one runs compared to my 10 year old spinner is like night and day ! I told Scott, it's like it's turbo boosted ! lol !
I have to keep it on low which is like fast on my old one ! lol !
The kicker, the mandrels fit SUPER snug on that sleeve. Almost to the point of having to force them in. And I tested about 20 - 30 mandrels in it. In doing that, I have to "straighten" out the sleeve to get the perfect spin on the mandrel. That's ok. I can deal with that.
My biggest complaint with this new spinner is the battery compartment. I had one hell of a time getting those 2 batteries to go in. Man, I thought was gonna tear up the wiring or something. After about 10 minutes or so I finally got them in.

So that's it. We just have to keep manipulating the sleeves and it's best to keep them in the round.

Old 2015-07-06, 11:37am

no idea if it would help but ... Teflon plumbers tape

Old 2015-07-06, 3:43pm
Angie09

I'm so happy you got some answers Debbie ... it really can be frustrating. And from someone who owns 4 mandrel spinners, everyone should have a backup.

Plus, let me plug an Etsy store that I have gotten my mandrels from--Moonbow Glass. She will cut the 11" mandrels in half for you and I've ordered from her twice and they fit the 3/32" sleeve perfectly. Plus I haven't had any bent ones from her cutting them. I have no stock in her company ... just a very satisfied customer!! You might want to give her a try. Here's the link:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1195210...op_home_feat_1
Old 2015-07-07, 3:49am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks for the link Angie. I much prefer the 11" to 12" length mandrels. Have never used the shorter lengths nor do I like the shorter lengths cause I burn my fingers when I have to put the mandrel in the kiln. lol ! Plus I like the longer lengths for making long tube beads. I've made beads up to 6" long.

Old 2015-07-07, 5:00pm
Phill

I use a long handled pair of hemostats with a couple of groves cut perpendicular to the ridges they come with to stick my 9 inch and even my 12 mandrels into the kiln.

I am entirely too fond of the fuzz on my fingers to get any closer to my hot kiln.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-12-29 at 7:25pm.
Old 2015-07-08, 10:13am

I cut my mandrels with a diamond cut off blade for my Dremel. Then run it around the cut edge to smooth it. Most of my bent mandrels always have one good end, so this is a 'save' for them. Cut off the bent and wonky and save the straight.

Barbara
Old 2015-12-29, 3:51pm

No clue if this would work, but has anyone tried squeezing the sleeve with jewelry crimping pliers?

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2016-01-07, 11:54am
Ready to hit the road

I do that every so often to give it a new grip.

Old 2016-01-07, 12:08pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish915 View Post
No clue if this would work, but has anyone tried squeezing the sleeve with jewelry crimping pliers?
All the time ... and rough up your mandrel where it touches the end of the sleeve with a diamond file to add more traction. It's definitely a PITA!