LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-05-26, 1:54pm

Question Concentrator specs

I'm looking at purchasing either a Nortel Minor or a Carlisle Mini CC torch to get back into beads. According to their sites the Carlisle runs at 5 psi and 7 LPM, no specs for the Nortel. I'd like to ultimately find a used concentrator. Is LPM the magic spec that lets you know if it'll produce enough oxygen or is there more to it? I'm assuming these are the same units used for home health care? Thanks, Steve
Old 2015-05-26, 6:35pm

5 lpm (liters per minute) is the minimum needed. Two Y'd together gives good results when each is set @ 4 ppm and the propane isn't turned way up. It's difficult to find a 10lpm in the used home market. Try to find an Invacare, they require less servicing. Craig's list, calling nursing homes, etc., is a good bet. Where do you live?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Barbara
Old 2015-05-26, 7:07pm

Central Ohio (45 minutes NE of Columbus)
Old 2015-05-27, 10:52am

I stopped by our local Medical Supply store and found they can't be purchased without a prescription.......is it the same in all states?
Old 2015-05-27, 1:34pm
I fart diamonds

http://hobbiesforus.com/Concentrators.html

One of the Airsep High Pressure units will run any small to mid-size torch. Two of them will power a mid to large torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-05-27, 2:21pm

I assume the two torches I mentioned (Nortel Minor and Carlisle Mini) are both considered small torches? Thanks for the info............Steve
Old 2015-05-27, 4:17pm

My concentrator just started beeping away (indicating that it's in need of service) and I brought it from MA when we moved, so I cannot have it serviced by the same person. Perhaps it's time to invest in another...or can you all recommend someone who is good at fixing them..but who won't charge me an arm and a leg? I live in SW Florida. Wonder if it is time to just buy another...maybe one that can go up to 10 lpm? (the one I have goes up to 5lpm..I have a Carlisle mini but do have some boro glass I would like to play with). Any advice appreciated!
Old 2015-05-27, 5:04pm

There are a number of vendors here who sell oxygen concentrators. I don't know if any of them does repairs, but you could contact them and discuss your needs. David at Available Oxygen, Justin at Oxygen Plus Medical, Salt City Glass, Mountain Glass Art. There are probably others as well. Take a look at the Cutomer Service area.

Mimi
Old 2015-05-27, 5:27pm
I fart diamonds

http://www.frankshospitalworkshop.co...e_manuals.html

Altra Service Professionals is in Ocala. They do repairs. There's likely someone closer to you you that does repairs, also.

Old 2015-05-27, 6:28pm
Phill

The prescription requirement is for the medical use of these machines and they are usually brand new or very close to it.

But the need for the prescription is what allows them to be resold to artists for a couple of hundred dollars because the insurance companies wont buy used equipment for medical use and families that have lost a loved one mostly just want them to go away if they don't have a use for them and they can not sell them for medical use because they are not licensed to fill prescriptions.
Old 2015-05-28, 12:18pm

Thanks for the info. I think I need to buy a new one until I am able to find someone who will fix it (called around...no luck as yet...I live too far from Ocala...maybe when I make a trip up north). In the meantime, since I would like to dabble in boro a bit, would I need a 10lpn for that...or something higher?
Thanks!
Old 2015-05-28, 12:22pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymarci View Post
Thanks for the info. I think I need to buy a new one until I am able to find someone who will fix it (called around...no luck as yet...I live too far from Ocala...maybe when I make a trip up north). In the meantime, since I would like to dabble in boro a bit, would I need a 10lpn for that...or something higher?
Thanks!
You want as many LPMs as you can get. The link I posted is to service manuals. They're pretty easy to fix, so it might be something you can do yourself.

Old 2015-05-28, 1:21pm

I have the borofire 815. these have been worked over for working glass and have real hose fittings rather then a plastic nipple.

http://saltcityglass.com/products/oxygen-concentrators/

Robert and Donna Payne are great people to deal with, they come highly recommended.
Old 2015-05-28, 1:34pm
Loving learning

Is it possible your filter is past due for a change? Maybe look at that first, or even take the filter out just long enough to see if it runs OK then, which would seem to indicate it is clogged.
I just had to buy a new fan, because the alarm went off & my cousin (using it at the time) touched the concentrator & it was really hot. We took the back off & saw the fan wasn't moving. With the new one installed it seems to be fine, but I replaced the filters too while we were at it.