No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2015-06-07, 9:54am
RAH!

Default Kiln elements- 'quartz tubing'

So some kilns say they have a 'quartz tube'- with the wound elements inside- so you can't poke the element with your mandrel and electricute yourself.
- What is this? What is properly called? Where can you buy it? If I search for 'quartz element tubing' on google I get patio heater elements, or halogen elements- neither of which I suspect are used in annealing kilns? (I have a kiln where one of these tubes is broken)

Other kilns have a 'muffle construction'- so there's some form of cast refractory cover over the element- so now way you can touch them.
- Again, is this just cast refractory cement or something? How thick must it be? Is it not insulating?

Sorry, I'm nosy, I like to see how things are built!

Thanks,

Charli

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2015-06-07, 12:18pm
Phill

They should be the same as the heating elements in the space heaters that google keeps pointing you to.

It would be a heating element inside a tube of quartz. Nothing really special about it near I can tell.

I built a mail box kiln with the quartz covered heating elements out of a space heater. warms right up to 1750f in a half hour or so.

The other style is a method of hiding the elements in a channel carved into the kiln brick so that you can not stick a mandrel into contact with the live electrical heating elements. They can be a little annoying to replace the elements but the safety factor is worth the effort in my opinion.

Alot of folks forget that if you can see the wire glowing there is household voltage there that will reach out a half inch and knock you on your butt if you don't pay attention to what you are doing.
Old 2015-06-08, 9:17am

I started off annealing my beads in a little 8 x 8 Hot Box kiln. Went to the welder's and had them cut two 2.5 by 5" SS plates. Then they bent them in half for me. I put the angled covers at either end of the kiln to cover the first row of elements and dropped the beads down diagonally into the kiln for annealing. Cheap, covered the elements, and it worked!

Barbara
Old 2015-06-11, 1:37pm
RAH!

Oooooh, interesting. For some reason I thought that the space heaters must be different elements, but it's cool that its the same thing!

thank you!

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)