LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2018-03-06, 8:26am
You talkin to me?

Default Tutorial on pendants with our beads?

Hi everyone,

So, I've seen some people putting these on their beads to make them into a pendant or for joining to something else.

Does anyone know how this is done? I've seen some that are threaded too and wondered how they attach to the bead? Are they glued? As you can see, I am not much into making jewelry but I was inspired by some heart pendants and i'd like to make a few.

Thanks for your help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2018-03-06, 10:46am

They are indeed glued in, and were originally intended for half-drilled pearls and other gemstone beads. For lampworked beads, I would use a mandrel that was as close in size as possible to the shafts, possibly make the bead right on the end of the mandrel for that half-drilled look, clean the hole out with a dremel tool, and glue in the finding with a really good superglue. Just remember to get the hole really clean, or the glue won't be able to get a good grip. Or, if you don't want to work on the end of the mandrel, make a regular bead and use two of those findings. That way, you can use the bead as a link, or add dangly things onto one end. Either way, have fun!
Old 2018-03-06, 1:03pm
You talkin to me?

Thank you, Robin! That's great info to know. I've also seen these types of findings of bead caps on the end. I like those too.

Thank you for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Passovoy View Post
They are indeed glued in, and were originally intended for half-drilled pearls and other gemstone beads. For lampworked beads, I would use a mandrel that was as close in size as possible to the shafts, possibly make the bead right on the end of the mandrel for that half-drilled look, clean the hole out with a dremel tool, and glue in the finding with a really good superglue. Just remember to get the hole really clean, or the glue won't be able to get a good grip. Or, if you don't want to work on the end of the mandrel, make a regular bead and use two of those findings. That way, you can use the bead as a link, or add dangly things onto one end. Either way, have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2018-03-08, 3:25am

Superglue isn't really the best for this. All the varieties tend to shrink and get brittle with time. A better alternative is a 2-part epoxy. One I use a lot for my restoration work is Devcon - I don't know if that's available in the US, but I expect it is.

There are two types - the 5 minute one cures in about 10 minutes (!) and is probably sufficient for beads. The other is called 2-Ton, takes about 30 mins to harden off and about an hour to completely cure. This is as strong as the name implies. Especially as the hole in the bead won't be completely smooth, the Devcon will probably never come out.

It's a good idea to roughen-up the prong of the finding too, to provide a better key for the adhesive.
Old 2018-03-09, 6:05pm
You talkin to me?

Thank you for this tip. I am doing a search now to see if anyone local carries it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyann View Post
Superglue isn't really the best for this. All the varieties tend to shrink and get brittle with time. A better alternative is a 2-part epoxy. One I use a lot for my restoration work is Devcon - I don't know if that's available in the US, but I expect it is.

There are two types - the 5 minute one cures in about 10 minutes (!) and is probably sufficient for beads. The other is called 2-Ton, takes about 30 mins to harden off and about an hour to completely cure. This is as strong as the name implies. Especially as the hole in the bead won't be completely smooth, the Devcon will probably never come out.

It's a good idea to roughen-up the prong of the finding too, to provide a better key for the adhesive.

Old 2018-03-17, 7:46am
Dix Harrison

Another tip.

Be sure the bead hole is COMPLETELY DRY!!!!!

It can be tough to get every bit of moisture out of a half-drilled hole.
Old 2018-04-10, 2:20pm

what about using an air duster spray before glueing the component in? Or baking at 200DF for 30 to 45 minutes?

Barbara
Old 2018-04-12, 6:52am
Dix Harrison

Air duster spray sounds like a great idea!

I have tried using a hairdryer, but ultimately, I shove a toothpick in the hole to check for moisture.
Old 2018-04-12, 4:17pm

Is anyone making their own by soldering a loop, cap and post combination and really how far does the pin need to go down into the hole to secure it properly with the glue?

Not sure exactly how that's done but it might be worth a few try's. The sterling ones seem expensive and the post on most of these is quite short 3-5mm.

Thanks for any help on this.
Kathy

Old 2018-05-02, 7:57am

Where can I buy these kinds of findings? I'm new to this and would really like to turn my beads into pendants.
Old 2018-05-02, 8:41am
Queen of the milo field

Rio Grande is one place...

https://www.riogrande.com/category/c...ents/mountings

https://www.riogrande.com/category/c...ants/pearl-peg

https://www.riogrande.com/product/ba...mponent/631090
Old 2018-05-04, 7:10am
Heart of Flame

I'm wondering if there is a place to buy these that have a good sized post. Rio all has very small posts. I'm hoping for something that I could use in a 3/32 hole.

Thanks!

Old 2018-05-04, 8:15am
Loving learning

If you are talking about beads with the through hole, have you considered just wiring them? And I have purchased interchangeable bails, so I can just switch one bead for another also, on Etsy but it has been a while so I can't remember the seller.

On the chance that you have never done any wire wrapping before, here is a short video showing a couple of ways. I usually just use wire, and make a small loop on the bottom, but the headpins make it even easier. I bought some little bails that I can hook on the loop I make if I want it to look more "finished" too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxiOGXfHiw
Old 2018-05-04, 8:18am
Loving learning

I did an Etsy search on Glue in Bails, and these came up. There were more, this was just the first in the list that looked like your example.:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5314930...r_gallery-1-26
Old 2018-05-16, 12:34pm

Melzip, I use 2 part epoxy to glue the findings in both sides of the hole, on this quick&bad shot you can see the findings (these are by Tierracast), the well used epoxy pack and the finished result with one of my HH "fuglies". You will need the bead hole to be a tiny bit wider than the part to be glued in, I do not remember the measurements, just ensure that your bare mandrel is approximately as thick as the insert. The bead release will make its job and the hole in the finished bead will be just right, The rest is easy - clean, rinse, dry the beads, mix equal (or as per instructions) 2 parts of the glue using something disposable - toothpick, piece of plastic, etc, use toothpick to put small amount of glue to the tip of the insert (not longer than 1/2 or 2/3 of the total length depending on how much free space you have between the side iof the hole and the insert because when you press the finding to the bead some glue will go up to the "cap" part and you do not want to spend time removing it). Press and hold, you may use a narrow piece of masking tape to fix the finding to the sides of the bead. Please note - 5 minutes refers not to the epoxy curing time but to the working time at given temperature conditions, allow at least 40 minutes or 1 hour after gluing in. Repeat on another side. Fresh epoxy can be removed from the fingers and the bead with lint-free cloth and acetone or nail polish remover. Hope it helps.

Old 2018-05-16, 1:03pm

Wd2crv, have a look if Tierracast "links" would work for you. These are excellent for 3/32 and come in different lenths with loops on both ends or a ball on one end and a loop on another. It's not a glie-in product but it holds a bead with 3/32 hole really well and you can add bead caps, jump rings, bails, other components. Bead caps must have approproate hole to fit this component.

P.S. I'm not paid by Tierracast, unfortunately