The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-26, 12:24pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Default Mandrel size for dread beads?

Figured it out, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by alb6094; 2011-03-26 at 12:43pm.
Old 2011-03-27, 7:51am
SCIENCE Teacher!

But you're not gonna share? Awwww. I figured I would have to use a big-hole-bead mandrel. Am I right?
Old 2011-03-28, 11:20am

I have new 5mm bead inserts/grommets --is the 3/16th mandrel and 6/32 drill bit the right sizes to use for the beads so they will just tap in?
Old 2011-03-28, 1:26pm

Dreads come in different thickness/sizes. We sell quite a few locally on the coast of Monterey and Santa Cruz. I've sold dread beads made from 3/16th to 1" size mandrels but the ones I sell the most of are big hole beads made with 1/4" and 1/2" holes. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Ari'elle; 2011-03-28 at 2:20pm.
Old 2011-03-28, 1:45pm

Is 5mm the inside or outside diameter? I guess it doesn't matter, I'm pretty sure you'll still need to gently dremel out the inside of your beads to make them fit unless you heavily coated the 3/16th mandrels with release. Sorry, don't know about the drill bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt10 View Post
I have new 5mm bead inserts/grommets --is the 3/16th mandrel and 6/32 drill bit the right sizes to use for the beads so they will just tap in?

Old 2011-03-31, 4:46pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
Dreads come in different thickness/sizes. We sell quite a few locally on the coast of Monterey and Santa Cruz. I've sold dread beads made from 3/16th to 1" size mandrels but the ones I sell the most of are big hole beads made with 1/4" and 1/2" holes. Hope that helps!
Just saw this! Thanks Arielle, that's what I came up with as well, 1/4 and 1/2 inch. I actually just went to Sally's Beauty Supply and talked to the girls there. They hunted up some cheapie dread beads for me to use for examples. According to them, 1/4" and up is the way to go.

Old 2011-03-31, 9:55pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

I appreciate this information. I've thought about making beads for dreads too. I never thought of checking at Sally Beauty Supply though.

Old 2011-04-01, 9:07am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by selma_belma View Post
I appreciate this information. I've thought about making beads for dreads too. I never thought of checking at Sally Beauty Supply though.
My Sally's is great, I've been going there for years. In my 20's and 30's I would sometimes wear the long dragon nails with airbrushed scenes on them and some of the nails were pierced for charms so I was always in there hunting bling and messing around. They've also been great helping me figure out what to wash/dye/curl doll's hair with when I used to do doll restorations so they've sort of always been a hobby resource for me. Plus there are all the tools that can be adapted to other uses like orangewood sticks and certain cutters and such.

The little bag of plastic dread beads set me back a whole .99 cents.

Old 2017-01-06, 4:44pm

Default Mandrels for Dread beads?

Hello All, I am having a hard time finding 1/4 in and 1/2in mandrels for making dread beads, any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Vickie
Old 2017-01-06, 5:47pm
Mebmer

I got mine at Mountainglass.com and it looks like they are in stock!
Old 2017-01-06, 6:28pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari'elle View Post
Same here! I make a variety of sizes, but the 1/4" and 1/2" are most popular. I sell a good bit at a local shop called A Little Bit Hippy. They style and maintain dreads... The larger holed dread beads don't sell too often, but my smaller ones have done great. Also nice in braids too. They are some of my favorite beads to make because they can be organic and free-form, so I just play and experiment.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2017-01-10, 12:33am
Naysayer

Old thread boosted just so others know =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickieg View Post
Hello All, I am having a hard time finding 1/4 in and 1/2in mandrels for making dread beads, any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Vickie
I went to a local hydraulics place and got mine for a literal steal (steel?).