Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-05-07, 1:00pm
Angie09

Default What's your favorite fish fin tool?

I have so many tools but none seem to be IT when it comes to making fish fins. What's your favorite for putting the finishing touches on your fish fins? Thanks.
Old 2013-05-08, 11:45am

I work pretty small, so I've always used my needle nose pliers. For a bigger fish, leaf mashers might be cool.
Old 2013-05-08, 1:39pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I use cheap-o long skinny needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight. I mash the fin, then reheat and add the detail with the pliers. It lets me work with any shape fin or leaf.
Old 2013-05-08, 9:20pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Depending on the size, my tweezer mashers, followed by sharp-nosed tweezers. And scissors for tails etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA# P107
Old 2013-05-09, 5:31am
Lampworkaholic!

Arrow Springs sells A "Fish Fin Pliers" And it's on sale right now. I love mine.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-05-09, 5:59am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Arrow Springs sells A "Fish Fin Pliers" And it's on sale right now. I love mine.
Elizabeth ... can you tell me what catagory they are under. I can't find them on their site and there's no search. Thanks!
Old 2013-05-09, 6:17am
Loving learning

Angie, I found it on the front page, scroll down.
Old 2013-05-09, 7:01am

Yes, the Arrow Springs one.

Old 2013-05-09, 8:15am
Otter

Arrow Springs fish fin mashers for me been using the same pair for years I love them.

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-05-09, 8:29am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Arrow Springs fish fin mashers for me been using the same pair for years I love them.
Are these the pliers type Otter?
Old 2013-05-09, 8:49am
Loving learning

For a "make do" I got these appetizer tongs, I think at Walmart?

Old 2013-05-09, 9:06am

regular needle nose pliers for me.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-05-10, 12:45pm
Playing with Fire!

Hemostats, all different sizes, curved and straight. Some of them I reshape by grinding the jaws narrower. I also file different patterns into the jaws to impress into the glass.

Check out http://www.widget.com

Playing with Fire!
Old 2013-05-12, 9:42am
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Are these the pliers type Otter?
Yep the plier type they work great you can get into small areas really easy and the fins look great one of my favorite tools.

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-05-12, 1:55pm
Melody of Glass

I played with the Carlo Dona ones recently and liked them. A pair of tweezers does almost the same job, although not as stylishly! I think the fin mashers are more efficient too. They are on the wish list.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-05-12, 6:05pm
Flame Dames Rule!

I use the Arrow Springs fish fin pliers too... they're great!

I also use pliers that you can get at any kitchenware store - they're for pulling out fish bones, and have a great crosshatched pattern that makes the fins sparkle.

I think I got mine at Sur le Table for $8.99. Just did an internet search and found grossly expensive ones. I'll try to find a link to the ones I have and post it here.

Updated to add: sorry, can't find a link. Just check your local kitchen stores - they're worth hunting for!

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Last edited by SharonP; 2013-05-12 at 6:16pm.