LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2018-02-21, 8:06pm

Default Values of Nortel Torches

Hi all,
Just a few weeks months ago I was positing about my search for a first torch and was leaning towards a gtt. I hadn't really given Nortel torches much thought, but Dustin Revere recently put out a review of the major/minor torch and it got me thinking. On eBay there's two torches I've come across:

First is a Nortel redmax for $375 buy it now. Just the torch with a marver, no hoses or accessories.

Next is a major minor up at a bid of $200. This one also has a marver as well as hoses and regulators. I think I could perhaps contact the buyer and make an offer for around the same as that redmax (maybe a little less). Which do you think is a better deal? Is the redmax a far enough superior torch that the extra expense for hoses and regulators would be worth my while?

It seems I'm flip flopping a lot on my possible torch decision but the more I think about, the less I think I will want to/be able to get one torch and upgrade later, so I'm thinking cost-wise a Nortel torch will get me the most flame for my money.

Thanks for any opinions!
Old 2018-02-21, 8:24pm
Loving learning

I have never used either of those, so have no advice. Do you know what you hope to do with glass as your end game?

The hoses do go bad, so can you tell if they are in good shape or old?
Old 2018-02-26, 2:15pm

I have have been working on Nortel Minor (with ex-20 extreme oxygen concentrator) for the past decade. I work production and there are easily thousands of hours on this torch. My work ranges from 1/2" up to 3" and I love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2018-03-16, 7:23am

Hi there!

Although I am VERY new to lampwork I can say this:

I started on a National 8m. Decent torch to learn on. With the right tips you can do almost anything. Then I went to work at a glass shop. I asked the owner and all he said was GTT Phantom....now obviously not all of us have 2K to spend on a torch, especially if we are just starting out...all he did was talk trash about Nortel....

So what did I go and do? You got it! I went and got myself a RedMax with the pre-mix top torch. Let me tell you....it gets HOT. The top flame is great as well....my teacher runs a Carlisle CC, and when I got my torch fired up he couldnt believe how buttery the flame was on my RedMax. After we fired it up, he went and worked on my torch for 3 hrs and was amazed at how much heat it threw and how easy it was to adjust the flame chemistry compared to his CC....

Beads, marbles, pendants, condensed tubing marbles....hollow work.....inside out work....all currently being done on a RedMax.....and I LOVE IT.

Get the Red Max.....you won't be disappointed.

OH...I have found that everyone who said the torch is bad on oxy is not entirely correct....I ran my RedMax on 1/8 of a 300cf K-Tank for about 4.5hrs.....so if you use it properly, you won't blast thru oxy.