Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-06-12, 9:58pm

Default Need Help- haven't used set-up in a while

I need some help. I have an oxygen concentrator and propane set-up with a minor that I used to use regularly about a year and a half ago, but haven't touched since then. I want to start lampworking again, but am scared I'll blow myself up. Everything worked fine then but I want to know how I should inspect my equipment to make sure it is still all safe. It has been in a drafty, but dry, shed.

Other concerns:
I read some of the other threads and I will immediately move my propane tank outside the shed I use. What else, besides a fire on the tank and built up gas, could cause a propane tank explosion? Am I missing anything? I have a big BBQ style tank.

How can I make sure my tank is safe in the winters when we get snow? Can I use a propane tank when it is stored outside and the temperature is freezing? My real BBQ tank is always outside uncovered and looks good with a small bit of surface rust from sitting under snow. Am I worrying too much?

The ventilation in the shed is good b/c it is a small shed and has wide doors on either end, but I would like to do the lampwork outside on my deck if possible, but am scared that I will burn down the neighborhood. I have heard many people who use a deck, but what precautions should I take? The deck is made of composite so it is very fire resistent, but I have a lot of pines in the area and that means needles on the ground. Could a piece of hot glass ignite my needles? I live in a forest so people are picky about the place burning down.

Anything else I should think of before lighting up again?

Help.

thanks!
Old 2006-06-13, 4:59am
Safety ALWAYS

Replace your T grade hoses before you start. If they've sat in a shed where temperatures can get really high and really low, just to be safe, I'd replace them.

Yes, a piece of hot glass can ignite pine needles. Personally, I wouldn't torch outside if you have large pines in the area. It's just asking for problems.

No problems on the tank outside. You will probably want to put it in a Rubbermaid type outside plastic bin to protect it and the regulator from the elements, but as far as cold is concerned, provided your outside temps don't fall below -10 F, you should be ok. If they do get that low, an electric blanket turned on and wrapped around the tank about an hour before you start will resolve that problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.