Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-12-03, 2:47pm
Previously silverfaeriedesigns

Default What to call a Natural Gas line?

I'm getting ready to call the energy company out here, and I have no idea what to call this line that I'm looking to put in for my torch. I want a Natural Gas line (at least that's what we're looking at). Do I tell them it's for a lampworking torch? Will they understand that?
I'm hoping to get a suggestion on a company from them, that will run the line for me.

(I hope this is more safety than just a question.)

Thank you so much!
Melissa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~

Nortel Minor with oxycon and NG
Old 2007-12-04, 5:54am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I called erecently and they sent a guy out. He asked questions like is the torch AGA rated and what are the BTUs. Make sure they test the pressure out of the line or tell you if you need to run it from the meter.

My gas guy gave me a quote and told me to call around to any heating and air place and get them to give me quotes too.

Good luck!

Old 2007-12-04, 6:00am
old fart

the BTU/hour rating for torches varies, but in general, it is in the 10,000 BTU/hour or less range. if you have a very big torch, it may be in the 20,000 BTU/hour range. that is not a problem as most home heaters are in the 30,000 BTU/hour range and run off of a standard 1/2 inch line with a gas pressure in the 6 inch of water pressure range (~ 0.25 PSI).

Old 2007-12-04, 5:22pm
Eight Miles Wide

I am on a minor, and just have the standard 1/4 psi gas line that is exactly the same type of line used as if I were hooking up to an appliance. I did have to clear what kind of line I needed with my gas company before the heating & cooling company would touch the job.

Here are some threads from when I was researching having my line installed:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=35465

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39530

If I had wanted more pressure (power), my gas company would have had to do the install themselves, and hooked up my line to a separate meter. If you are jumping into the business-side of this right off, this is the way to go and many people here would recommend that. Money was a big issue for me, so I chose to go the regular gas line route.

Good luck!