Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-10-23, 10:33am

Hi, I think you should go for it. Provided you do your sums properly and can be more competitive than the competition (sorry, lots of 'com' words there ...) then you'll be onto a winner. And PLEEAASSSEEE get a distributor in the UK. We are just as interested in buying presses here but the cost of postage and customs/VAT/excise make it an expensive item to purchase from the States. (I have yet to find a stockist/manufacturer over here).

I have bought them but would certainly buy a lot more if the postage etc., wasn't so high. When I asked someone about selling over here I was fobbed off a bit (hope you know that phrase!) so please remember us. (Whine over).

Also, I'd like to see some larger sizes and some more faceted shapes. Oh, nearly forgot - I don't want to buy a base thingymejig - too much of a faff - needs to be instantly to hand - no messing around with slotting the right one into position (or whatever it is you have to do). Good luck - nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say!
Old 2005-10-23, 1:25pm

I am very glad to see the response...I agree that you will need to have something to encourage the people to switch to you...whether it be price or unique product.

I have been slowly working on making my line of presses which I really hope to gear to Canada. I will start out with the basics, and slowly add unique shapes that will hopefully be of interest outside of Canada. But most importanly I will try to keep my prices very competative as I can competive.

Good luck!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-10-24, 8:34pm
Member of the Booger7

Smile

I tend to use a larger mandrel and my problem with the presses that I have is that they are catering to the 1/16 to 1/8 mandrels. Therefore, when I try to use them, I end up with bead release scraping off into my beads. I would love to see a bead press with a larger mandrel space.
Good luck!

Dianna -

Old 2005-10-24, 8:40pm
Queen Bead Dork

It sounds good to me!! I would love to see some new shapes, at a reasonable price. User friendly with no bases is great also.

Old 2005-10-24, 9:21pm
*glass spaz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond bead designs
I would love to see a press at a more reasonable price. I don't own any because they are so expensive and I have seen so many for sale "only used once or twice". I can't spend that kind of money on something I'm gonna use twice. Also everytime I think I have talked myself into making the investment, Glass starts talking to me and thats what I go home with.
We have the exact same problems. Everytime I think I'm going to plunk down the cash for a press, I notice that my intense black is low, or I really want to try copper green..............etc, etc, ad infinitum.

I would love to see a press out there I can afford. I'd be willing to be a tester for you, one that isn't fettered with previous trials and tribulations of other presses (ha ha), just a commentary on how yours works for me!

So, good luck with your progress. A friend of mine's husband is a tool and dye maker. I've had some great conversations with him about tool making, ah the things I could do with about 12 more hours in the day. You do them FOR me?

Old 2005-10-24, 10:01pm
subject to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenlori
It sounds good to me!! I would love to see some new shapes, at a reasonable price. User friendly with no bases is great also.
What she said, lol!

Old 2005-10-25, 12:15am

Default Presses

Hi
Being new to lampworking I was astonished at the prices of some of the tools. If you can come up with different shapes or lower prices go for it. I wouldn't mind testing yours.I have not tried presses yet and would test for you. Competition never hurt nobody.So if it was me I would go for it.
Kind Regards Penny
Old 2005-10-25, 4:40am
Corgi Lover

Thumbs up Good Luck!

A little friendly competition never hurt anybody! I say - GO FOR IT! - you may come up with something that is absolutely wonderful and everyone in the bead world will have to have it. You will never know unless you try! P.S. Let me be a tester!!!!
Old 2005-10-25, 8:57am

Again..THANK YOU..THANK YOU! I am still working on this. I really wanted to have the test presses before my holiday rush!! HA HA! Well, that is obviously not going to happen. I will keep you all posted, we might be looking at January now..

Melissa

Old 2005-10-25, 5:21pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypond bead designs
I would love to see a press at a more reasonable price. I don't own any because they are so expensive and I have seen so many for sale "only used once or twice". I can't spend that kind of money on something I'm gonna use twice. Also everytime I think I have talked myself into making the investment, Glass starts talking to me and thats what I go home with.
I feel the same way!

Old 2007-02-19, 3:45pm

If your looking for ideas i'm looking for a shell like press not a conplicated one, some thing like a scallop shell or soft shell clam??!
Old 2007-02-19, 4:40pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I missed this the first time around!

Any news!

I say go for it and I would love to be a tester!

Old 2007-02-20, 2:23am

I notice that all the presses available are symmetrical. I know ZILCH about machining, but something assymetrical would be interesting, if it's not impossible.
KMD
Old 2007-02-20, 5:07am

I Like the idea of triangles but where the mandrel usually goes down the middle I would prefer It went aross the tip and across the bottom so that you can make triangles that hang by the tip or by the base. And I always prefer to buy in two or three sizes too. That's a style of press I can't buy anywhere!

Kym
Old 2007-02-20, 8:35am

Being a newbie, I currently own 1 lentil trio press. I'd love to see a tube or softer bicone type of press. No one else seems to have created something along that line ( that I'm aware of )
Good luck with your venture.
Sue
Old 2007-02-20, 11:17am
The Andrea Half

I think it is a wonderful idea. I love the presses I have, and their manufacturers are great, but it would be great to see a different design. If you're still taking people for the trial list, please put me on it!