No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-15, 6:21pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Default Best Tweezers

What's the best tweezers to buy? I've been buying the $4.00 ones at Frantz and I go through them like crazy! I know...keep the tools out of the flame...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-03-15, 6:27pm
honorary bead lady

I buy multiple sets of these from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-32381.html

WOAH that's big
Old 2013-03-15, 6:28pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila D. View Post
What's the best tweezers to buy? I've been buying the $4.00 ones at Frantz and I go through them like crazy! I know...keep the tools out of the flame...
If you don't keep them out of the flame, stick with the cheap ones. Would suck to be going through $20 tweezers...

I have the same tweezers I started with 8 years ago and I paid less than $1. Keep water close to quench them if they get hot.

Old 2013-03-15, 6:41pm
Sheila Davis Designs

yea..I'm always pulling off glass or heating murrini in the flame. I thought maybe there was some super-bionic metal that could withstand the heat without deforming.

Old 2013-03-15, 6:43pm
Sheila Davis Designs

David, I see they have a lifetime warranty...pphht.. not the way I use them!

Old 2013-03-15, 6:44pm
I fart diamonds

Tungsten.

Old 2013-03-15, 6:52pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Tungsten.
Ahhh...

Old 2013-03-15, 6:56pm
I fart diamonds

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...ducts_id=40857

Old 2013-03-15, 6:57pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Thank you Shawnette! You rock!

Old 2013-03-15, 7:12pm

Second the harbor freight thing you can trash them when you melt them and not feel bad. I go thru a package a month

Old 2013-03-15, 7:20pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

I keep hoping I'll find tungsten tweezers that are in the shape of very fine nosed tweezers. The ones Shawnette posted aren't the right shape for how I use them. Even with never putting them in the flame, the ends get deformed from the heat of the glass.

Old 2013-03-15, 7:24pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Well, I did just find these, says they are made for high temperature--and a bargain at only $180 each!

Old 2013-03-15, 8:19pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smeeth View Post
Second the harbor freight thing you can trash them when you melt them and not feel bad. I go thru a package a month
Soooo...I guess I shouldn't feel bad about my $4.00/month for tweezer budget?
I really only need the fine tip ones.

Old 2013-03-15, 8:38pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Harbor freight ones here too..... I buy a few packages at a time and use just the ones I need... LOL

Old 2013-03-15, 8:59pm
honorary bead lady

Sheila buy a small belt sander or grinder and re point the tweezers
Old 2013-03-15, 10:47pm
Dakine glass man

I second the tungsten for fine tip. Otherwise I go to ben franklin, michael's or where ever and test how strong they are.....no body likes a whimpy tweezers

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-16, 5:36am
I fart diamonds

If you're back to cheap, Widget Supply has the best prices, largest variety. And they have tons of other cool stuff, too!

http://www.widgetsupply.com/category/tweezer.html

Old 2013-03-16, 5:41am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurnHill View Post
I keep hoping I'll find tungsten tweezers that are in the shape of very fine nosed tweezers. The ones Shawnette posted aren't the right shape for how I use them. Even with never putting them in the flame, the ends get deformed from the heat of the glass.
You can grind tungsten. Go to a welder supply, pick up a 1/16 tungsten rod and make your own.

Old 2013-03-16, 7:03am
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurnHill View Post
I thought they were made to withstand the heat?

Old 2013-03-18, 7:35pm
Formerly "HillyBeads"

Oh, I meant the fine nosed non tungsten ones get deformed from the heat. I've never tried the tungsten since the shape doesn't look right for me. I think I'll try making my own though--worth a try!

Old 2013-03-18, 8:23pm
da General

I agree - if you stick your tweezers in the flame, use tungsten tipped ones! Don't put the tips in water to cool tho, you run the chance of weakening the tungsten (or so I was told).

|
|
|
|
Old 2013-03-19, 7:17am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I agree - if you stick your tweezers in the flame, use tungsten tipped ones! Don't put the tips in water to cool tho, you run the chance of weakening the tungsten (or so I was told).
I always quench my tungsten. It keeps the crud from building up on it so that you don't have to replace it as often (or ever).

Old 2013-03-19, 7:48am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I sand the crud off my tungsten.. or repoint it on the side of my grinding wheel.. the big bench type

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-03-19, 10:05am
Queen Bee

Anyone know where to get some long non-serrated tweezers that are blunt tip?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-03-19, 10:08am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
I've never been able to find non-serrated ones. I just filed them smooth.

Old 2013-03-19, 11:07am

Default tweezers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
Arrow Springs has both serrated and non, scroll down on page:http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/holding_tools.html

I still use my original pair from 1996!
Old 2013-03-19, 5:57pm
I'm meeeeelting

I use these HF cheapos. I buy several at a time so that when a pair gets bent or the springs come lose I can chuck them and grab another pair from the drawer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-3-4-q...ers-40696.html

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2013-03-19, 6:11pm

Talk with local medical professionals a lot of stainless instruments are single use or wearout by medical or lab standards.
A good file will let you remove the teath and a grinder or dremel will let you reshape them a bit.

Old 2013-03-19, 6:19pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
I use these HF cheapos. I buy several at a time so that when a pair gets bent or the springs come lose I can chuck them and grab another pair from the drawer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-3-4-q...ers-40696.html
I'll pick up some of these next time I'm in Oly, but I like the lightweight tweezers too.

Old 2013-03-19, 6:21pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthelm View Post
Talk with local medical professionals a lot of stainless instruments are single use or wearout by medical or lab standards.
A good file will let you remove the teath and a grinder or dremel will let you reshape them a bit.
I'll ask my dentist, they let me go through the old dental tools. Maybe I can just file mine down too.