No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-04-23, 10:45am
Mr Brutus RIP

Default blowing silver shards ??

Not looking for trade secrets, just a few tips or Do nots........... Ok so I know how to blow shards and how to use them but I'd really like to try some with silver glass. I have very little as I purchased a few "by the rod" several years ago in vegas. I'd just hate to waste any......
So, do you have any tips on blowing shards with silver glass? I mean, do I do the whole thing with silver glass? only add a little to what ever glass I want to use? and do I reduce before or after blowing or save that for when I use the shards...........MARKING clearly so I don't forget LOL

I dont use them a lot but I just have a little urge to give it a try.
Thanks!!
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by glassymom; 2013-04-23 at 1:06pm.
Old 2013-04-23, 3:00pm
Senior Moment

I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt LOL

I made some shards with DH Elektra & Psyche. Did them the regular way; nothing diff from any other color. And I didn't reduce till I actually used the shards. They came out nice; if I can locate the pics of those beads I'll post.

HTH
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2013-04-23, 3:38pm
Mr Brutus RIP

oooh, thanks Alli. I'm on my way to the torch now and wanted to give it a try. Thanks!!!
sue

Old 2013-04-24, 4:18pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I have used several coats of frit over black or blue etc, I have covered opaques with rod by coil potting over it. never used pure silver glass

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-04-24, 4:30pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Thanks Candace. I will give those a try too. I ran out of time last night and didn't get to play and tonight is out so maybe soon.........
thank you!!!
Sue

Old 2013-04-24, 4:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt LOL

I made some shards with DH Elektra & Psyche. Did them the regular way; nothing diff from any other color. And I didn't reduce till I actually used the shards. They came out nice; if I can locate the pics of those beads I'll post.

HTH
Alli
Ditto. Don't reduce until on the bead.

My tip with the silvered glass shards, if using on ivory, do two layers.

This is a good example. See the brown areas? One layer of shards, you can see the silver ivory reaction under the glass and nothing else. Add more glass on top, bam! colors. I like this organic look, but if I got a bead that was all brown, I would be upset.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2013-04-24, 5:53pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Oh beautiful Lara!! Thank you for the info.......I would have done that and yes, been disappointed. Thank you for that!!
Sue

Old 2013-04-24, 6:08pm
beads....mmmm

I've made loads of silvered shards. I make them the same way as regular shards. Sometimes I'll mix glasses, like Psyche and Opal Yellow in one shard. Pretty!

::