Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2010-06-05, 3:36pm

I just got my second call and Deb asked me to post that there are classes that are full and it would save time if people would check the website so they are prepared for their second choice class. They are updating the website as they go so keep your eye out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-05, 5:47pm
Angel's Mom

Scroll down to the very bottom of the web page to see the classes that are available and full.

Let the countdown begin!
Old 2010-06-05, 6:13pm

GeeWhiz, I didn't realize it went down to the seconds, but I looked and mine went in at 0900:22...but I still got all my classes, so I'm stoked!! Now it seems like it's really going to happen.

Looking forward to seeing everyone and meeting lots of new peeps.
Melody

Old 2010-06-05, 7:33pm
Wooohooo,GS!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Day one done...70 phone calls in 10 hours! A lot of time is spent with each call checking skill levels, writing a hard copy, entering on PC too, then a double check before moving on. Even with 3 of us working today it is slow going!

We didn't start calling until 10:30am (1/2 hour late) because we had to have everyone's number at hand to start...so we had to go back to entries to get info.

All in all, everyone was super happy with classes! Remember, there were 24 spots for each featured artist and there are 75 people coming already including staff. That means only 1 in 3 got a Melanie or Rose class!!!
Even staff had the same limits, one class per featured artist, 3 torch classes, so we have to follow the same guidelines you did!

BUT, they will all be demoing at least one night and there will be a schedule of these done by Jill Knapp this year in the next few weeks. After staff sign up to do evening demos then attendees will be able to jump in and show us some more (great way to find our new teachers!).

Anyway, poor Sue and Ashely are dead....I am wiped out (we all started at 7 this morning!). So...I am off to a nice bubbly HOT spa with a large glass of Merlot. The rest of you will get calls starting at 10 am tomorrow...we have about 20 more calls to make.

BIG thanks, hugs and sighs of amazement.....you all rock! deb

Old 2010-06-05, 7:43pm
I'm meeeeelting

Deb, did Stacy get a hold of you? She didn't get called. I'm wondering if you tried the number from her application email instead of the one she emailed you this morning. She's in E. WA this weekend and her cell phone isn't getting reception, so she emailed a different number. She called me about an hour ago and I gave her the number you'd called me from. I hope that was okay, but we were getting worried that it looks like she got missed. If you didn't connect with her, let me know and I'll get you a good number for her.

Also, another friend who hadn't applied to Glass Stock may be interested in coming if there are still spaces and class availability. How would she go about applying after the fact?

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2010-06-05 at 7:46pm.
Old 2010-06-05, 7:53pm
Wooohooo,GS!

No problem Felicia, thank you SO much! We have been trying both #s all day but just finished talking to her and she is thrilled (she was scheduled for both calls already so we just booked both calls....so she can breathe easy it won't happen tomorrow!)

Thanks so much, you are just awesome Felicia (and Stacy sure is a sweetie!)
hugs deb (in robe, glass in hand and off to relax.....)

Old 2010-06-05, 7:55pm
I'm meeeeelting

Awesome. She is a sweetie, talented and a lot of fun. You'll be glad to have her.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-06-05, 8:49pm
Light My Torch

thank you deb and all that puts some much time into this for us. I know that it takes a lot of work.
jjwiskus

Old 2010-06-05, 9:28pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Felicia, I totally trust your judgement, you are a gem!

Jeri, thanks so much, it is a lot of work but this year I have delegated a lot to my golden staff, it is such a group effort!

After a lovely long soak and glass of wine (the best combo for sore, achey muscles!) we are going to watch TV and eat Bon Bons on the couch (never done that before...figured it was long overdue!).
Night all!
xoxo debster

Old 2010-06-05, 9:35pm
I'm meeeeelting

Mmmmm. Bon bons. You deserve 'em.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-06-06, 8:16am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks Felicia...after yesterday I felt I earned 'em too!

Ok, a couple hours to suck some coffee down, then my girls will be back and we will finish up calls today.

Jo, sorry I missed your calls, was in the hot tub...will call you first at 10 this morning and hope I catch you, or call back anytime...I am up!

Hugs all 'round debs

Old 2010-06-06, 8:22am
Wooohooo,GS!

Felicia, missed your comment about another person signing up. We do have spots left...(I added more when I added more classes, I think we are up to almost 60 classes now, wooohooo!)

Just have them email me at deb@debcrowley.com ASAP for sign up, payment and classes. I will sign up the rest of the folks waiting and then new people. I have another waiting to do the same thing after you all get the class picks first. I really try hard to be as fair as I possibly can!

Anyone else wanting to get in email me at above asap.

Sorry I missed that sweetie....was super tired last night!
hugs, deb

Old 2010-06-06, 8:55am
I'm meeeeelting

No worries.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-06-06, 8:56am
Wooohooo,GS!

Hey all, thought I would add some eye candy for those of you still waiting. I posted this in the Gallery if you would like to make comments too.

Hi everyone...thought I would post some pics of the stained glass window I made for my daughter in Seattle. It is for her staircase. She wanted Mt Rainer so I found some pics and drew this. After a month of work in my spare time I finished it about 3 weeks ago.

She is a head and neck surgeon and is on call a lot so it took me awhile to get ahold of her and show her these pics. I had quite a few people want to see it after I finished but I wanted her to see it first!

I am headed up there soon to install it....have been enjoying it in my living room window for a few weeks....going to miss the sun streaming down the window every afternoon!

It has lampworked stems and leaves in the fused lupine flowers with a dragonfly that are all raised out of the panel. I have been saving glass for 25 years and some of my favorites (like the old school Oceana glass for the water....sigh...it is SO beautiful, I fused the lupine to match the hues in that glass) just really make it more like painting the scene. The window is 3' x 4' with lots of restrip (reinforcement). 300 pieces and the smallest one is 1/8" x 1/2", fun to foil...NOT!

I started lampworking in 1991 to make components for stained and fused glass. I didn't make a fish bead until 1993...who knew I'd be the "fish maker", lol! The last pic is the scene I made the drawing from.

I had a blast making it....hope it inspires more of you to try some other techniques in glass!

Hugs deb
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-06, 9:05am
Master Procrastinator

Deb, it's OUTSTANDING!!! I can't believe how you even captured the reflection in the water! A true work of art! What a lovely gift for her!

Old 2010-06-06, 9:14am

Breath taking, Deb~ WOW!!!!

Old 2010-06-06, 9:47am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Wow Deb!!! That's beautiful!

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2010-06-06, 10:01am
I'm meeeeelting

Beautiful work! I especially love the trees reflecting in the water.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2010-06-06, 10:48am

That is awesome!!!

Michelle
Old 2010-06-06, 12:29pm

An Amazing piece of work ! My sister in law is a stain glass artist in the yukon , I know how much work they are ! Your a very talented Lady !

Deb you and your team have done an amazing job with organizing for glass stock, everyone has been so friendly and helpful I can't wait to meet everyone, this experience so far has been so positive and exciting ! Many Thank You's !!!

How long till September ???? - Penny
Old 2010-06-06, 12:38pm
Wooohooo,GS!

Thank you for the kudos on the window everyone! It was fun!

Also thanks for the appreciation for all the hard work we put in....as of now I have maybe 200 hours in and many others behind the scenes!

A huge thanks to Sue, Bernie, Ashley and Subway(lol) for all the help this weekend!
We are done with sign ups......and everyone got all or nearly all the classes they wanted!

The website is now up to date on full classes so anyone thinking of joining in can see what is still available. Lots of good torch classes still!

Big thanks, hugs and sighs.....more soon on demo info, T-shirt sizes, etc and also the monthly newsletters the first of each month.

Penny, thanks! I know, it seems far away but the time is flyin'....ah, life is great!
deb

Old 2010-06-06, 1:50pm

Breathtaking window!
Thank you Deb for all of your hard work in Glass Stock 2010. I am really looking forward to an inspiring weekend of glass.
I am going to practice a lot this summer to have something small to contribute for my demo (yikes!).
Old 2010-06-06, 1:53pm
Type ZZZ personality

That window is gorgeous!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-06-06, 5:25pm
Beyond Cloud 9!

Deb, that piece is awesome. I love how you combined the hot and warm work into it!!

So excited about this year's classes. Can't wait to see all these talented artists in one place. Bring on September!!

Old 2010-06-06, 11:11pm

Fabulous window Deb, thanks for showing us. Gottaa love glass huh. I love how many manufacturers of glass you used for the diffent parts of the picture. I am sure your daughter is thrilled. wouldn't anyone be, but to have your Mom make something like that is extra special.
Old 2010-06-07, 6:41am
I like to melt things

Just gorgeous!

Thank you Deb, and everyone else involved for getting everything organized for us on Saturday. I'm thrilled with my classes, and I can hardly wait!!

-
-
Old 2010-06-07, 9:43am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thank you everyone! Jackie, yep, just about every manufacturer is in there...even all the old school ones not producing anymore. I am having a small brass plaque made for the corner to solder on for her. When she sells the house in Seattle she will remove it and have a large wood frame made. Most of the time I had my windows triple glazed (inside the window unit itself) for protection and easy cleaning but I want her to take this one with her so we will install it with molding stops. I am pretty happy with how it came out...typical artist, rofl!

Thanks Melanie! I only had one person who was bummed but after explaining Melanie and Rose (and I...she really wanted my shell class) would do demos in the evenings. All of you will get a chance to see all of us work, all instructors will be doing at least one evening demo. Pretty great considering we have almost 75 people already, woooohooooo! Sue was a HUGE help, I am going to make her a killer dinner this weekend!

Thanks again everyone...taking today off, it looks like it will be sunny, I think a good book next to the pond is in order today! It has been a late start to summer but the waterlilies have finally started flowering...sigh...they are so gorgeous!!

Hugs and sunshine debs

Old 2010-06-07, 9:49am
Wooohooo,GS!

Thanks Patty, Lisa and Brenda too!

Brenda, don't worry so much about the demo, we LOVE seeing everyone's demo and we all feel or felt that way at some point some year Just think about the fact that you get to see maybe 80 or more demos for one of yours....that seems to help some folks.

Besides, it is over fast and then you will feel more comfortable jumping in instead of hiding from us! There is a great demo thread for all of you first timers to GS, Karen Hardy is awesome and quenchin' those fears.....she is terrific!

deb

Old 2010-06-07, 11:35am
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Okay, I need help. I don't know how to decide. I hear there's some cancellations and someone offered 40/night to share their house rental. I want to go, but....

can I afford it? How much does it cost? What else do I have to buy? What will I do with the dogs? What will I do with my son? What if I get a job and I have to work instead?

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-06-07, 12:15pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
Okay, I need help. I don't know how to decide. I hear there's some cancellations and someone offered 40/night to share their house rental. I want to go, but....

can I afford it? How much does it cost? What else do I have to buy? What will I do with the dogs? What will I do with my son? What if I get a job and I have to work instead?
Just do it!

It's expensive, but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you won't be able to eat if you go, don't, but otherwise, why wouldn't you?

Have someone check on the dogs while you're gone, park your son with a family member, and tell any new employer before they hire you that you have this extra-special trip planned and will need the vacation time around Labour Day.

Seriously, do it, if you can. It's going to be awesome!

-
-