LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-05-11, 6:08pm

Default Ventilation setup q

Hi, I'm setting up my studio in my garage. The previous owner of the house ran a body shop out of the garage & there is a big, powerful ventilation fan all ready in place. (no clue on specs though - its installed up high) I want to torch basically right under it, just a bit to the side to avoid a power outlet. What kind of hood could I use? I've read on here that flex duct is no good, so how can I connect the fan (up high) to a hood (over my work space)?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-12, 3:22am

Pics? First reaction is if it was approved for body work then it should work for glass. That said you should try to get some more info on the fan if you can. Make and model would help. As far as not working right under it is concerned, that's not a problem. just build a plywood box around the inlet side of the fan and duct it down to your hood. A simple round hole cut in the plywood say 12 inches in diameter, with a 14 inch diameter disk of plywood could be used as a damper to adjust the amount of air flow. Bolt the disk centered over the hole with only one bolt. That way the disk can be turned to open or close off the hole. I would not try to run a large 36in fan boxed down to say an 8 in duct. That would have enough draft to seriously distort your torch flame. Can it work? yes depending on the fan size and motor.
Old 2011-05-15, 10:58am

Default Fan Images

Here's some pics. Quality is not awesome but I'm down to my iPhone since someone decided to liberate my camera from my trunk.

Fan Label

|
Old 2011-05-17, 3:47am

Well, I can't find PG1 specific info, but PG2 at 18 in has 1540 CFM and PG3 has 1600. I'm guessing GM20 is Gable mount 20in. So if you figure on at least 1300CFM you should be fine. You can build a box around the fan and run duct work to it. You may have to make some type of damper to adjust the air flow, but that should be easy. Static pressure will depend on what is on the other side of the fan. There could be an automatic shutter or fixed louvers. Automatic would be better since they open wider, resulting in less static pressure. The best would be motorised, since they do not use pressure to hold them open. Remember that you want round pipe and stay away for the flexible stuff, it messes up the laminar air flow. You could hinge the end of the box away from the fan so you can take a pipe/pole and open the box up to vent the garage while not at the torch.

Now that you have some idea about the CFM of the fan, you can check out:

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=22&t=150

This one has a lot of ventilation answers:

http://www.isgb.org/forum/forumdispl...-Safety-Issues

Last edited by TomK; 2011-05-17 at 4:29pm. Reason: Fixed the incomplete/404 error links (Thanks Dale for cluing me in on my link problem)
Old 2011-05-20, 10:18am
glass is sooo...me!

Instead of plywood for the box I used foam insulation board avail at Home Depot, Lowes etc. Comes in 8 foot sheets. It cuts with a utility knife and you can tape the sides together with foil tape avail just for this purpose.
Best part is the whole thing is light as a feather and cheaper than wood.

Karen