Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-07-09, 10:07pm

Default Colour for back of pendants

Hi there,
I've picked up my boro again...I dabbled with it a few years ago...

So far I've been backing my pendants with black. What other colours are good for backing? I'm making frit implosions and florals.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm a little color matching impaired.

Thanks.

Suzanne
Old 2011-07-09, 11:24pm

I like TAG blackjack and also NS dark Cobalt.
Old 2011-07-10, 12:21am

For me, it depends on what color(s) the pendant is. I always want to make the pendant itself "pop." For example, if I made a pendant with Dark Ruby and Cobalt, I would probably use Jet Black to back it. I always like to make sure that the front of the pendant is the focus, not the back.
Hope this helps.

Good luck and welcome back to boro!

Glasskat2010

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:20am

I use black most often, but Mystery Aventurine looks great if you're using colors that go with it.

Anita
www.nitabeads.com
Old 2011-07-10, 12:21pm

Thanks for the info everyone...I'm thinking that black is definitely the way to go. I have TAG Black Jet and have been using that - I quite like it. I won't try and get "creative" with the backing....definitely keep that for the front.

Suzanne
Old 2011-07-10, 6:23pm

Default This may sound strange.....but

A while back ABR was having a sale on their Asian Boro, I bought some black transparent. It makes a great backing, kind of there but not there on the implosians.
Also love Cobalt and off course Elvis Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagesinglass View Post
Hi there,
I've picked up my boro again...I dabbled with it a few years ago...

So far I've been backing my pendants with black. What other colours are good for backing? I'm making frit implosions and florals.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm a little color matching impaired.

Thanks.

Suzanne
Old 2011-07-10, 7:01pm
is

How does the Asian boro fare for the pendant market? I've always avoided it (yet tried it) as a result of incompatibilities and checking......... The white never likes to check if its encased, their black just likes to crack in general, etc........ I was curious if pendants/beads/marbles were different as a result of their smaller size.
Old 2011-07-10, 7:53pm
ManBearPig

I almost always use black, and it's almost always NS Onyx.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-10, 9:52pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I almost always use black, and it's almost always NS Onyx.
I tried Ninja once, and then been on Jet Black ever since. Jet Black just works in every application never has a problem always looks black. The Ninja was blue based and looked bad when thin. Neat for a particular look, of course.
Old 2011-07-11, 1:32pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
I tried Ninja once, and then been on Jet Black ever since. Jet Black just works in every application never has a problem always looks black. The Ninja was blue based and looked bad when thin. Neat for a particular look, of course.
Jet Black is too stiff for my tastes...

Old 2011-07-11, 8:27pm

Default Love the transparent black

I have had no issues with the Asian Black but did have cracking with the Asian white for Beads... No problem with Implosians with the white.
The transparent black must act like a shadow to off set the design in the pendant so it's not totally transparent. I have fallen in love with it, used it with some red flower pendants and some Disco sparkle, loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
How does the Asian boro fare for the pendant market? I've always avoided it (yet tried it) as a result of incompatibilities and checking......... The white never likes to check if its encased, their black just likes to crack in general, etc........ I was curious if pendants/beads/marbles were different as a result of their smaller size.
Old 2011-07-12, 1:24am
Save the Numbats

I use pretty much anything. It depends on the main design, like glasskat says. Light or dark extremes usually work best, since if the pendant design is mid-tones and the pendant is too, the design may not stand out as much due to lack of contrast. Other than that, jet black, star white, sno white, Draconis Blue Satin (if only, anymore!), any silver color (butterscotch, caramel, silver strike 3/5, triple passion, silver creek, etc), exotics/amazons/lusters such as Amazon Canyon or Red Exotic, Experimental green #5, lapis, Bibidibobididiby blue, Midnight, and so on.

I like colors such as Red Exotic or Exp. Green 5 for this because they provide a dark background, but it's not entirely neutral. Red Exotic can look dark red with black striations, for example, and the Exp. Green can look like a really deep emerald green with variations. Some pieces I prefer a deep black-black too, but a little color is a bit more exciting than black on other ones.

Transparents in the medium through tint range work well for some, too. GA Paris Green, or a medium cobalt for instance.

Last edited by Juln; 2011-07-12 at 1:30am.
Old 2011-07-12, 8:00am
Pyromaniac

Fine onyx frit is most convenient for me, but NS onyx works good in rod form too. I used a lot of GA Grape in the past, it gives a different look, but it can get pretty transparent if you lay it on too thin.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-07-12, 8:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangell View Post
I have had no issues with the Asian Black but did have cracking with the Asian white for Beads... No problem with Implosians with the white.
The transparent black must act like a shadow to off set the design in the pendant so it's not totally transparent. I have fallen in love with it, used it with some red flower pendants and some Disco sparkle, loved it.
I've had the exact opposite experience. Every bead I made with asian black had cracking issues, but the ones with white are fine. If I use the black on the surface, more often than not I'll get graying and devit-like issues. The white is pretty much my go-to white.
I also like Jet for backing, blue moon frit over it is cool if you want to fancy up the backs a bit. But it really depends on what the implosion is to be used for...like if you make an implosion for a turtle I wouldn't back in black, rather some kind of turtle color. lol

Old 2011-07-13, 6:37am
boro color bender

Jet black fine frit... nice even smooth coverage without any of the hassles associated with using rod... way cheaper... faster... if Goldie Locks was a flame worker, she's like it too...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-07-13, 7:53am
Save the Numbats

The GA 70 size frit works great for this. This size provides even coverage and melts in more easily than 25 or 38.
Old 2011-07-13, 8:58am
don't burn your fingers!

I like ns 76 black, but I have been adventurous and tried many many other things. I think that the frit is the quickest and easiest. I have also had some good results with transparent colors like cobalt. Good luck!!
Old 2011-07-13, 9:08am

Quote:
Jet Black is too stiff for my tastes...
I agree with Cosmo on the Jet. Way too stiff for what you get out of it. I have been very happy with TAG Blackjack as a replacement. Smooth, Soft, and resistant to reboil.
Old 2011-07-13, 12:35pm
ManBearPig

I haven't tried Blackjack yet. I stick with Onyx because it works well and I can buy it in odds for like $25 a pound...

Old 2011-07-13, 4:54pm

Thanks again everyone.

Cosmo I am finding the Jet Black quite stiff too...and on my little torch - Mini CC with one 5 lpg concentrator - it takes a long time to get it all melted in. I also have size small Onyx frit but find I don't get an even coating...I like the ful,l even coating I get with the rod. I'll pick up some other black tomorrow when I go to my supplier.

Suzanne
Old 2011-07-13, 5:46pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
Jet black fine frit... nice even smooth coverage without any of the hassles associated with using rod... way cheaper... faster... if Goldie Locks was a flame worker, she's like it too...
Brilliant! That'll save some money.....
Old 2011-07-13, 10:52pm

Quote:
Thanks again everyone.

Cosmo I am finding the Jet Black quite stiff too...and on my little torch - Mini CC with one 5 lpg concentrator - it takes a long time to get it all melted in. I also have size small Onyx frit but find I don't get an even coating...I like the ful,l even coating I get with the rod. I'll pick up some other black tomorrow when I go to my supplier.

Suzanne
Try some blackjack from TAG. They sometimes have some nice odds for cheap and with a limited amount of heat it works well.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:55pm

Quote:
I haven't tried Blackjack yet. I stick with Onyx because it works well and I can buy it in odds for like $25 a pound...
I havent had a chance to try it yet but I am thinking the Blackjack will be very nice for solid sculpture. I think I have a stick of Onyx left from my NS sample pack. Ill try that as well.
Old 2011-07-14, 4:36am
Pyromaniac

If you use the fine frit, 3 dip and melt cycles is usually enough. Small frit is too big.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-07-14, 6:12pm

I am working on a smaller torch and I had troubles backing with black because of the stiffness so I started using torbo amethyst. I looks like black unless held up in front of a light.

Old 2011-07-14, 6:52pm

Hi Deb,
Thanks for the tip. I was just at Joanne's and picked up some Blackjack from her. I'll see how that works. She agrees that it's not as stiff as Jet Black.

Suzanne
Old 2011-07-15, 1:03am

I prefer a bit transparent taste to complete black.
Dark Plum, Black Walnut, Dark Emerald, Dark Cobalt, etc.
Old 2011-07-15, 7:17am

And the other thing I do is I put a layer of a bubbly light colored transparent, melt that in then add the turbo amethyst. In doing this it disguises any trapped bubbles that I get when the final backing color on.

Old 2011-07-15, 12:44pm

Quote:
Hi Deb,
Thanks for the tip. I was just at Joanne's and picked up some Blackjack from her. I'll see how that works. She agrees that it's not as stiff as Jet Black.

Suzanne
I love blackjack. Very smooth. Heats in quick.
Old 2011-07-23, 12:05pm

Black Jack is great....I used it this morning for the first time and it was so smooth and fast....and it didn't "reduce" like the other one. Bonus.
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Suzanne