LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-21, 2:49pm

I may need to invest in a tumbler too. Thanks Kalera.

I bought some of the Loetz frits. They are powder form and I'm not sure how to use them successfully. Like are they best on opaque or transparents. Thanks for sharing so much knowledge.
Old 2011-09-21, 3:42pm
I'm a lilac!

I think the Loetz look fantastic on almost any base! I'm very fond of them over transparents, but they look great on anything. Just lightly reduce before you kiln your beads and you're all set!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-21, 4:00pm
><>

What's your favorite size in the Loetz?
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-09-21, 4:06pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Kalera, where can you buy extra barrels for your tumbler?

Old 2011-09-21, 4:12pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
What's your favorite size in the Loetz?
I only have size 3, and I'm very pleased with it.

Old 2011-09-21, 4:12pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybeads View Post
Kalera, where can you buy extra barrels for your tumbler?
It depends on the brand of tumbler I think, so the same place you bought the tumbler is the first place to look. I got mine at Harbor Freight.

Old 2011-09-21, 4:19pm

silly me. I have e lortone but the place I bought it doesn't carry extras and she is priced pretty high. I only shop there for things I can't get elsewhere.

Old 2011-09-21, 4:51pm
I'm a lilac!

Maybe The Rock Shed? I think they carry Lortone.

Old 2011-09-21, 5:26pm

thanks!

Old 2011-09-21, 7:11pm
I'm not Barbie.

Yes, thank-you Kalera!
Old 2011-09-21, 7:50pm

Ok thanks for the tip, Kalera. I hadn't thought to reduce.
Old 2011-09-22, 12:11pm
I'm a lilac!

You are all welcome!

Old 2011-09-25, 12:10am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Beautiful today, everyone! Bernadette, that focal is sensuous!

What are these colors? These beads are gorgeous.
They make me think, "Santa Fe Sunset".
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
Old 2011-09-25, 8:07am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
What are these colors? These beads are gorgeous.
They make me think, "Santa Fe Sunset".
Thank you... I love your name for them better than mine! I named them "Sedona", so clearly we're on the same wavelength. I'm gonna change it to your suggestion though, because it's perfect!

The colors are an ever-evolving jar of frit that currently contains, as best I can identify, that weird translucent white from Zimmerman, Z-99, R-106, R-108, Reichenbach Florence, Reichenbach Jade, Kugler Flamingo, and a mystery translucent Dutch blue glass that is really beautiful but came in a sample packet which I lost long ago, so cannot identify.

IMO, the critical elements in this blend are the Z-99 (sub any of the other similar purples) the R-106, R-108, Florence, and Flamingo. It's on a base of U-96 mauve.

(I am not 100% certain I have found the right pic here... I think this is it though)

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-23 at 7:57pm.
Old 2011-09-25, 8:31am
Triumphantly Knit!

Those a just gorgeous Kalera...I love the names you both picked....I thought CA beach or mexican sunset when I first saw them, but I've got CA on my mind.

Funny how they definately inovoke feelings of sunset, methinks you have a series developing!

Is that the z opaline white or the dense white?

what amazing colours, OH, is it all frit, some powder? absolutely breathtaking, I keep going back to take another look!

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-09-25, 8:45am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you! It's all frit, various sizes. I'm guessing it's the Z opaline white because it's translucent. I've been having fun playing with this; I have several other sets with variations on this theme.

Old 2011-09-25, 8:53am

It's beautiful. Who knew frit could look so great. Yummy
Old 2011-09-25, 9:05am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you!

Old 2011-09-25, 9:49am
Lampworkaholic!

May I ask please, how do you get the frit to look like stripes? Gravity swirl or some other way?

Thanks for the eye candy too!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-09-25, 9:56am
I'm a lilac!

I make a gather with my base color and roll it in the frit, melt it in, and then make the bead with that... You can also do gravity swirl but in small beads like this you lose the dimple, and I like the dimples.

Old 2011-09-25, 10:09am
Lampworkaholic!

Thanks Kalera. How big a gather if I may ask? My beads are kind of chunky. I wonder if I could make a solid base and then make a gather with frit for a top layer.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2011-09-25 at 5:40pm.
Old 2011-09-25, 10:13am
I'm a lilac!

Those beads are about 9x13mm, but sometimes I do larger or smaller.

Old 2011-09-25, 4:32pm
><>

Thanks Kalera! Glad I could be of some small assistance.
I think you and I and Liz probably have a metric crap ton of trans. white Z-frit with which to play. Am I right?
This method is a great way to use all that up
I still haven't finished my great studio sort, and I have my list of things I've promised and plan to send soon.
Losing my brother in March was brutal, you guys know the deal.
I really thought I would bounce back sooner, but it takes as long as it takes.
I was just coming out of the 'fog' and we lost another family member,
my favorite Uncle (My Dad's youngest brother) to a similar aggressive cancer, and had his wake last week. I guess it's good we have a huge tribe, right?
Losing 11 family members in the last 8 years has really brought it home that
life is short, very beautiful, so live it with fervor.
Thanks for your continuous support and help, Kalera.
This thread speaks volumes about who you are.
Old 2011-09-25, 5:24pm
I'm a lilac!

Thank you, Jhana! You are a wonderful person and a fighter... you have real heart and compassion, and I admire that. I'm glad you're coming back from your grief, and I can't wait to see the beautiful things you will create in the coming months as your Muse returns.

Old 2011-09-25, 5:41pm
Lampworkaholic!

We understand Joyce. I hope you are able soon to live your moving words: "life is short, very beautiful, so live it with fervor." Your brother and you uncle would have wanted that for you too.

And I wish I had more that a couple of teaspoons of that Zimmerman "Silver Lake" white. Alas, other than a fair stash of Purple Rose, Lilac Rose and some Coral Pink that I can't give away even though it is a pretty color, I have no more than 3 or 4 oz. of a few other Z frit colors and maybe 2 kilos of cane.

I'm going to try the base and frit-dipped cane as a top layer sometime this week. I'll post pix if I get anything half as pretty as Kalera's set.

Old 2011-09-25, 6:12pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Thank you, Jhana! You are a wonderful person and a fighter... you have real heart and compassion, and I admire that. I'm glad you're coming back from your grief, and I can't wait to see the beautiful things you will create in the coming months as your Muse returns.
Thank you. It really feels like it is returning, although it has taken its damn sweet time.
I am also having to learn to pace myself so I can stay productive and not
get flared up. CRPS is a roller coaster and I have had the hardest time accepting the limitations it has brought to my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
We understand Joyce. I hope you are able soon to live your moving words: "life is short, very beautiful, so live it with fervor." Your brother and you uncle would have wanted that for you too.

And I wish I had more that a couple of teaspoons of that Zimmerman "Silver Lake" white. Alas, other than a fair stash of Purple Rose, Lilac Rose and some Coral Pink that I can't give away even though it is a pretty color, I have no more than 3 or 4 oz. of a few other Z frit colors and maybe 2 kilos of cane.

I'm going to try the base and frit-dipped cane as a top layer sometime this week. I'll post pix if I get anything half as pretty as Kalera's set.
Thanks,Liz. Would love to see them.
Hey, I think the trans white is the stuff that is mixed in with that pink frit mix you have. (I have a bunch of that too.ha ha
The dense white or Silver Lake as you called it is the z-74 right?
The stuff that turns blue when you cook it long enough?
Old 2011-09-25, 6:41pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Hey, I think the trans white is the stuff that is mixed in with that pink frit mix you have. (I have a bunch of that too.ha ha
The dense white or Silver Lake as you called it is the z-74 right?
The stuff that turns blue when you cook it long enough?
Yes to the Z-74/Silver Lake.

The Z-Mix 129 looks to me just like Z-352 Coral Pink. I think I will make some test beads and compare them.

I love Z-352 in cane, it's such a pretty soft peachy pink.

Old 2011-09-25, 7:17pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Yes to the Z-74/Silver Lake.

The Z-Mix 129 looks to me just like Z-352 Coral Pink. I think I will make some test beads and compare them.

I love Z-352 in cane, it's such a pretty soft peachy pink.
Ok- so the trans. white is the white in that mix you have then, right?
If you want more I'm sure I could give you whatever you need.lol
I owe you a trade anyway, remember?
I think the trans. white is the white they used in the mixes we bought, not the z-74. (Are you saying that the trans. white is z-74?)
It would be fun to figure it out, you know, just exactly what colors are in these mixes, we bought.
Oh yeah, I learned another thing during all this.
Sometimes when I am processing loss, I buy stuff. Like frit. Lots of it.
Live and fricken learn right?
ETA We may have to resurrect the Zimmermann thread so we can talk about this there. LOL!
O.K. Back to your regularly scheduled, asking Kalera anything!!!!

Last edited by jhana; 2011-09-25 at 7:21pm. Reason: add
Old 2011-09-25, 7:57pm
Lampworkaholic!

Z 74 frit is sort of a mix of opaque and translucent despite being called dense white. I'd love to have some in Size 0 if you happened to get that.

I understand about buying stuff; luckily with glass you can sell it if you don't want to use it. At least that's my rationale.

I'm sure you will have fun with your Zimmermann when you are back up and running.

Old 2011-09-25, 9:35pm
><>

Oh, I thought the z-74 was just dense white.
I wasn't able to get any z-74