No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-06-26, 9:36am
Stress Cracked

Default Outdoor propane regulator

For those of you with an outdoor propane canister, what is the brand name, model of the regulator that is in line between the canister and the studio? I.e. the outside regulator positioned closest to the canister.

I have a Goss low pressure regulator designed for BBQ grills and I think the PSI is very low (my indoor regulator gauges don't even budge when I open all the valves). I get a good flame out of my mini cc, but I think I could do better with a bit more pressure.

Thanks, Jim
In an Emergency.

Emily Dickinson
Old 2005-06-26, 10:27am
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually brand name means nothing....... It's what pressure (PSI) it is adjusted to... IF regulator does not have any tag on it saying what pressure it is set at, most like it is 1/4 to 1/3 PSI... Some "fixed" regulators can be adjusted to a higher rate, some are factory sealed to prevent adjustment.

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-06-26 at 10:30am.
Old 2005-06-27, 6:14am
Safety ALWAYS

I use a standard propane/acetylene fuel gas regulator on my outside tanks.

As far as brand name, I use SMITH. They are bit on the expensive side, but they are fully made in the USA and carry a long warranty.
Old 2005-06-27, 8:15am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjvg
For those of you with an outdoor propane canister, what is the brand name, model of the regulator that is in line between the canister and the studio? I.e. the outside regulator positioned closest to the canister.

I have a Goss low pressure regulator designed for BBQ grills and I think the PSI is very low (my indoor regulator gauges don't even budge when I open all the valves). I get a good flame out of my mini cc, but I think I could do better with a bit more pressure.

Thanks, Jim
I believe that in the book "More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Glass Bead Making" by James Kervin, he mentions how it may be possible to adjust a "fixed pressure regulator" to a higher value so you will have more pressure available at your "adjustable regulator" inside studio. Please remember that NFPA limits propane pressure to 20psi when piped into a studio or residence.

Keep in mind that some new fixed pressure regulators are now manufactured with adjustment access sealed to prevent tampering with it.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-06-29, 9:19am
ManBearPig

I use Smith regulators as well. They seem to work fine on my Nortel Midrange. I run out of oxygen pressure way before I run out of propane pressure.