Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-19, 7:50am
I need more boro stuff

Default Barlett 3 Controller - Help please

Hi all, I need help.

I bought AIM 94BD last year. It arrived at 27 Sept 2007. Then when I plugged it on, it blew up, AIM sent me the wrong voltage.

I received the replacement part on the November 12, 2007. So I've been told from the vendor that the warranty should start after the kiln in working order (which I assumed will be after this day)

Now, recently for the last month, I kept getting ErrF message when I ramp down. According to the manual, it maybe indication that the relay has stuck in the on position. I have to ramp up the kiln back and skip some steps again to get the ramp down step. (sometimes it fixes the problem, sometimes ErrF cames up again)

1. Do you think it's normal for a kiln that less than a year old?
2. Or do you think the blew up shorten the life span of this relay?
3. How to fix it? Do I need a new relay?
4. Is it my annealing schedule?

Btw, I only firing the kiln once a week, sometimes once in 2 weeks.

And this is my annealing schedule:
- ramp up 2000F to 960F, hold for 6 hours (garaging)
- ramp up 400F to 960F, hold for 30 min
- ramp down 100F to 680F, hold for 30 min
- shut down

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-09-19, 9:46am
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
Hi all, I need help.

I bought AIM 94BD last year. It arrived at 27 Sept 2007. Then when I plugged it on, it blew up, AIM sent me the wrong voltage.

I received the replacement part on the November 12, 2007. So I've been told from the vendor that the warranty should start after the kiln in working order (which I assumed will be after this day)

Now, recently for the last month, I kept getting ErrF message when I ramp down. According to the manual, it maybe indication that the relay has stuck in the on position. I have to ramp up the kiln back and skip some steps again to get the ramp down step. (sometimes it fixes the problem, sometimes ErrF cames up again)

1. Do you think it's normal for a kiln that less than a year old?
2. Or do you think the blew up shorten the life span of this relay?
3. How to fix it? Do I need a new relay?
4. Is it my annealing schedule?

Btw, I only firing the kiln once a week, sometimes once in 2 weeks.

And this is my annealing schedule:
- ramp up 2000F to 960F, hold for 6 hours (garaging)
- ramp up 400F to 960F, hold for 30 min
- ramp down 100F to 680F, hold for 30 min
- shut down

Thanks in advance.
It's extremely unusually for a relay to go that quickly.
It's entirely possible the initial problem caused damage to the relay.
Although it's most likely the rely, the problem could also be the thermocouple.
Replacing a relay is a simple job - takes about 5 minutes.
Have you contacted AIM?
Have you tried installing a new schedule to replace the one that produces the error message?
What is the down ramp you programmed? If the kiln is incapable of losing heat as quickly as you've instructed it to, you'll get that message.

I can assure you that AIM will honour the warranty.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-19, 10:08am
I need more boro stuff

Thanks Dennis.

Have you contacted AIM? I tried to ring John but he's not in office yet

Have you tried installing a new schedule to replace the one that produces the error message? I tried on all 4 programs, all the same problem

What is the down ramp you programmed? 100F/hour

Old 2008-09-19, 10:17am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I believe I get that message if my schedule is taking too long in ramping down as well.
Old 2008-09-19, 12:00pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
tried to ring John but he's not in office yet
John is never in until about 11 am. You're much better off talking to Sue.

Quote:
I tried on all 4 programs, all the same problem
I believe it's then safe to assume it's either the relay or thermocouple (most likely the relay)

Quote:
100F/hour
That's EXTREMELY slow and would have the kiln steadily switching off and on to retard cooling and should not produce an error message. I'm assuming you mean 100C (212F). The only time I'd use a ramp speed that slow is for something almost an inch thick. Just as an experiment, I suggest you try programming a firing for a much faster down ramp just to see what happens. How thick is the piece you're firing? For 1/4" thick, a 400F dph ramp is fine. I usually use 500F dph. For small cabachons, 800F dph.

Also, check to see if there's dust or any contaminants in the two twisted wires at the end of the thermocouple. Also, check for any loose wire connections. Either of those could also be causing the problem. It still could be a sticking relay, but it's unusual for a malfunctioning relay to allow you to continue firing. Usually, it either works or it doesn't work. If it's stuck, it won't work at all. If your relay is starting to stick, it will very soon shut down and stop working entirely.

Has your controller been making any unusual sounds recently - a humming or buzzing noise or a louder clank instead of the usual click as it turned off and on? That clearly indicates a relay getting ready to misbehave.

Please be reassured that this is a small easily corrected problem. Relays are the most common and most frequent thing to malfunction on kilns.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-09-19, 5:13pm
I need more boro stuff

Finally, I had a contact with John from AIM.
He's going to ring Bartlett and asked why the controller stop ramp down. Apparently, there's another small kiln like mine with the same problem in the last 2 weeks. He's suspecting sticky relay but need to confirm it.

According to John, 100F/hour is fine on ramp down stage.

I will keep updating.

Quote:
That's EXTREMELY slow and would have the kiln steadily switching off and on to retard cooling and should not produce an error message. I'm assuming you mean 100C (212F). The only time I'd use a ramp speed that slow is for something almost an inch thick. Just as an experiment, I suggest you try programming a firing for a much faster down ramp just to see what happens.
I mean 100F.
I've been using the same annealing schedule since I got the kiln, but I will try again hopefully today with faster ramp down.

Quote:
Has your controller been making any unusual sounds recently - a humming or buzzing noise or a louder clank instead of the usual click as it turned off and on? That clearly indicates a relay getting ready to misbehave.
Nothing strange sound.

Old 2008-10-25, 2:59am
I need more boro stuff

UPDATE: after 2 emails and 4 phone calls and heaps promises on new relay... still no result either on what's wrong with the controller nor new part

Old 2008-10-25, 4:59am
Happiness is....

so for all this time you haven't had a kiln???
Just order a new relay google bartlett controllers and it's about 20.00 for a new relay...I was getting that error message too, new relay fixed the problem...if it's warranty issues them just wait..or ask john if you can send him or aim the bill?

sucks to be without a kiln, sorry for your troubles....

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2008-10-25, 6:49am
I need more boro stuff

I have the kiln but I have to babysit it which is a pain. And now I can't even try on making marble, since according to Drew's book I need to ramp down the temp really really slow (less than 50F/hour).

Old 2008-10-25, 2:38pm
Life is change. Love it

Wow, that is too bad. When my relay went JenKen had a replacement to me in 4 days. I love Jen Ken

Old 2008-10-26, 2:12pm

I've called Bartlett several times and they've always been helpful. I called them because I figured my questions pertained to the controller not the kiln.

They even spent time with me last thing on Good Friday so I could use my (then) new kiln over the weekend. Of course with the international issue, a quick call isn't quite so easy.

Hope you are digital going again soon. I've not had any complaints with either Aim or Bartlett.
Old 2008-12-16, 2:51pm
I need more boro stuff

Still no idea what's wrong with the kiln.

Once they (AIM) told me over the phone that they have the replacement relay and just need to ship it to me. I waited 2 more weeks and rang again, and this time I've been told they are still waiting the reply from Bartlett. And another time they told me that they are still waiting for the part.

3 different answers from the same person everytime I rang.
And I hate making an international phone call at 4 am my time.

Which one which?

<sigh> if I can redo it, I won't order this kiln.

Old 2008-12-17, 6:06am
Life is change. Love it

Wow that's three months now, I would be so mad! I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this it must be very frustrating.