LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-09-08, 10:43pm

Default Which comes first the better torch or an anneler?

Hello,

I am currently using a flameworks torch with small mapp gas cannisters. I am hoping to upgrade to a minor in a few months. Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this matter. Is it better to get a bigger torch first or a kiln? Unfortunaly I can't afford both. We will be buying a house in the next few months and my DH will be building me a barly box! I am very excited.
Thanks Caroline
Old 2008-09-09, 3:46am

I went for the kiln first - figured I could keep working on the torch I had, but couldn't anneal those beads without a kiln. I am still on my hothead torch, and although I occasionally feel limited (striking colors, some of the silver glasses, and raku are out of my reach) at least the beads I do make I don't need to worry about breaking.

Lori
Old 2008-09-09, 4:31am
Molten Memories

Without a doubt......the kiln! You can make spectacular beads with your FW, but their structural integrity will always be of question. Even with a fancy new torch, your beads will still be at risk. I'd never sell or even give away, an unannealed bead. Get your kiln, practice on your FW and then make the new torch move. Just keep saving your pennies and before you know it, you'll have both the kiln and a new torch!
Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-09-09, 5:27am
phrit phreak

oh yeah. I agree....Kiln. I started out small there too. Then upgraded my hothead to a bobcat....then a couple years later upgraded my small kiln up to a paragon bluebird.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-09-09, 7:50am
First bead: 2007-04-28

Kiln first, the upgrade your torch.
I'm glad I got my kiln, i'm still on a no-name Hothead.
Ann
Old 2008-09-09, 9:25am

The kiln, of course. Recently I bought a book on lampworking that seemed to put aside the idea of annealing being critical - I don't have much regard at all for that book now. The authors have a shop that sells glass beads, obviously not annealed, and they indicate "since they are small beads, it's okay" NOT SO QUICK, there!
Old 2008-09-09, 1:36pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i did kiln first, then digital controller.

still on my hh.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-09-09, 1:43pm
Just Bead It

I did the torch because I had someone who could anneal my beads. However it was a pain that I made all these pretty beads, but couln't do anything with them until they went through a cycle. So If I could do it again I would buy the kiln first. I started torching in Dec, bought a torch in march and just bought a Jen ken Kiln last week. So it took me about 6 months to save my pennies. Good luck!

Tamara
Old 2008-09-09, 2:38pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Kiln.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-09-09, 8:19pm

Smile thanks

Thanks so much for your responses. I asked the owner of a local bead shop if she would batch anneal for me and she said my beads were small enough that i didn't need to do that. I didnt really believe her based on what I had been reading here and in books. Kiln first it will be! Hmm now to choose which one. . . . the fun begins.
Thanks Caroline
Old 2008-09-14, 7:33am
I wanna go back...

Caroline, I am on a hothead and decided to get a kiln first and am I ever glad that I did! Not only does it enable me to (attempt) to do encasing and other methods that were cracking before I could get them batch annealed, but annealing itself sometimes changes the glass too, so it gives me the flexibility to 'fix' or replicate things that the process changes.

I went with a Chilipepper as a first kiln and love it. It's portable, fast to heat up, and uses regular household current although I have it plugged into an outlet with nothing else on it - it's own fuse. So far I am much more than happy with it. I was able to program it myself without any trouble too!

I got mine from Blue Moon Glassworks and had super fast excellent service with a shipping address different from my billing one - and they offer free shipping!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Andrea: A newbie with a HotHead, bulk MAPP and a Chili Pepper.

Last edited by agw; 2008-09-14 at 7:36am.
Old 2008-09-14, 7:53am
In search of her path....

I would get the kiln first and watch for used torches in the garage sale you can save some money that way...

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2008-09-14, 7:55am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

I 11th the position - annealer with digital controller first.....then you can sell beads that are well tempered and strong.

Old 2008-09-15, 8:24am
Gentleman of Leisure

Another way of looking at it is, you can have biggest, hottest, most expensive torch and you can be a world class bead maker, but if the beads don't survive because they are not annealed, what good is all that..... Kiln is probably next priority in equipment purchase....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-15, 8:51am

Kiln...... I batch annealed my beads in a huge fusing kiln for a couple of years.. but looking back I lost a lot of beads that I wouldn't have if I'd had a kiln.... I'm sure the value of beads I lost was way more than the kiln cost... I have one of the little square kilns' from arrow springs with the quartz elements I love it!!!! (I also have 4 other larger fusing kilns....)

Lynne

[I batch annealed in one of my fusing kilns from '94 to 2002... ]

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!

Last edited by Islandgirl; 2008-09-15 at 8:53am.
Old 2008-09-15, 3:10pm
I need torch time!

Default Kiln first

I work on a HH at home and rent time on a minor (the bigger torch does not mean better beads for me - just faster). I can do nicer stringer work on the HH and I use MPS or MappPro gas.

I am so happy to have a kiln. Before I purchased the kiln, my encased beads did not survive to be batch annealed, but, are coming out lovely now. I batch annealed for about 6 months and had to keep my beads small and no encasing. Love having a kiln with a bead door.
Old 2008-09-17, 4:03am

I would go with the Kiln also.When you do up grade your torch look in to the bob cat . It is a much better torch and it isn't much more in price. It is also alo cleaner flame for encasing.
Old 2008-09-17, 4:30am

Kiln BUT don't be surprised if your fireworks torch doesn't last for long. Don't panic when it goes. A Hothead isn't that expensive.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the fireworks torch. I've never used one but have read enough about them to be glad. First thing to go will be the automatic clicker to light it....

Go for the kiln and welcome to the addiction!

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2008-09-17, 5:53am

I love my Chili Pepper! Try and get the digital controller, it's worth the extra cost. If you can afford it, look at one of Mike Crowley's kilns - that is what I'm currently lusting for. Here's the link http://www.theglasshive.com/BEAD%20ANNEALLERS.html

Old 2008-09-17, 11:33am

LOL thanks for the tip on the FW torch. My clicker went almost immediatly, now the torch just seems sputtery. I am looking at a kiln from the glass hive. Waiting till Christmas though, so my DH will know what to get me.
Thanks Caroline
Old 2008-09-29, 11:36am
Rare Florida Native

Kiln and buy one bigger than you think you might need.....never know if you might like to try fusing

Old 2008-09-29, 11:50am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I started with a fireworks torch. If you had a Hot Head torch, I would say kiln. But that Fireworks torch? Get rid of it! The sooner the better.

Having a kiln nearby does open up the possibilities for bigger work...

If you really have to choose, get a kiln AND a Hot Head torch.

A torch itself isn't very costly, but by the time you add in the hoses and gauges, tanks and whatnot, you've invested some serious coinage.

People do amazing things on the Hot Head.

--
--
--

Old 2008-09-29, 12:14pm
Mary Lockwood

Definitely kiln. I actually bought my kiln before I bought anything else. Then I got a hothead and glass. Then I got a minor and an oxycon several years later.

Kiln is tantamount.