Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-12-14, 9:12pm

Default Natural gas system?

So I'm moving my workshop in from the garage to my basement, and im interested in switching from 20lb propane tanks to the natural gas line from my house, Ive done some searching on the topic and Im very confused as to the equipment needed.

Im on a NM Knight Bullet burner

I read one thread that was almost entirely about how Natural Gas boosting systems are absolutely necessary, but Ive seen other forum threads where people describe their setup as using just a flashback arrestor attached to their house line, that then goes to their torch fuel line.

Are gas systems necessary, because after all the cheapest one is 1000 dollars - money, id prefer not to spend -- but if they are quite necessary i need to know!
Old 2008-12-14, 9:48pm
A Splash o' Glass

I'm on NG plus a concentrator. I don't have a booster, but it would probably help if I did have one. I have enough heat for most of my beads, but would love to have more for the larger ones. I only work with 104 COE, but more heat should I decide to use a lower COE would be nice. I've never used a flashback arrestor. My set-up wasn't very expensive. We ran the NG line from the basement up to a spare bedroom. Just welding the lines and putting in a valve with shut off knob on the end. Much like hooking up a stove. But we had a plumber/welder friend do the work for minimal cost. I love not having to worry about dangerous propane tanks. Or O2 tanks for that matter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-12-14, 10:00pm

what torch are you on? im just concerned that my bullet (a two stage) will require more than what the city line offers
Old 2008-12-14, 10:03pm
Mad about Glass

Me too. I'm on NG and and an 8lpm concentrator with my midrange. Nortel torches are made for use with ng as well as propane. It is perfectly satisfactory but I would like a little more gas pressure for when I work with boro.

In Oz it is not necessary to have flashback arrestors with NG and a concentrator for a surface mix torch.

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-12-14, 10:10pm
passionate about pets

I have a natural gas system and i love it....

now i did research and this is what i got in the end. I have an oxy con and i hooked up the gass line to my gas in my house.....i have an emergency shut off valve, and just the hose that go to my torch....i did get a flash back arrestors and regulators for both my oxy con and gas but in the end returned them cause i did not need them.....your house only pumps out like 5psi so you don't need a regulator cause it would not work.....with and oxy con you don't need a regulator cause theoxy con has a regulator in it......and flash back arrestors like jenn said you don't need for a surface mix torch ( i have a nortel minor)

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2008-12-14, 10:55pm
Corgi Cult Member

I run a Betta on NG with an M-15. It's hot enough to make 1 1/2" boro marbles.

Sounds like my system is hooked up like Storm's. Hard line coming down the wall to a shut off valve and then the torch hose from there. I always turn it off at the wall every time I finish. No regulator, no flashback arrestors, setup is really very straight forward.

Great idea to not use the 20lb canisters in your basement. Somewhere there is a thread on how fast one of those can empty if they have a leak and it's downright scary!

If you are moving to the basement, one concern will be ventilation. If you don't have enough makeup air, I understand it will pull the fumes from your furnace or hot water heater into the basement. It's also a bit trickier to install the vent, but doable. We punched through the brick to vent to the outside.

You'll love being inside!

Old 2008-12-15, 7:29am

I think you'll need a booster with a 2 stage torch. You might want to post this question up in the torch room.

Do you know the specs for gas requirements for your torch?
Old 2008-12-15, 8:20am
old fart

IMHO, it would be far cheaper to buy a torch that will work off of normal pressure natural gas, rather than getting an expensive booster. the nortel red max and several other torches will work fine off of low pressure natural gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymnoceros View Post
So I'm moving my workshop in from the garage to my basement, and im interested in switching from 20lb propane tanks to the natural gas line from my house, Ive done some searching on the topic and Im very confused as to the equipment needed.

Im on a NM Knight Bullet burner

I read one thread that was almost entirely about how Natural Gas boosting systems are absolutely necessary, but Ive seen other forum threads where people describe their setup as using just a flashback arrestor attached to their house line, that then goes to their torch fuel line.

Are gas systems necessary, because after all the cheapest one is 1000 dollars - money, id prefer not to spend -- but if they are quite necessary i need to know!

Old 2008-12-15, 6:23pm
Abbey Beads

I work alot of boro and have for many years on NG and two oxy cons. I've got a Barracuda a couple years ago and have loved it.

I do have to say that sometimes I wish I could have a bit more of a boost and having a NG booster would be nice, but isn't really necessary. I've done 2inch beads, very large icicyle ornaments, and blown glass ornaments on it without much problem.

My setup is much like Storms....

Julie

Old 2008-12-15, 6:43pm
Floral Obsessed

I run a piranha (6 ports) off 1/4 psi NG and 2 oxycons. The O2 is really the limiting factor in my setup, not the gas. I work 1 or 2" boro sometimes but it's a bit slow. NG is brilliant for soft glass, though, and so convenient.

The low 1/4psi residential pressure is supposed to be a problem with duel-ring torches like yours, though (edit: I looked it up for more detail - nice torch!!!). Talk to your natural gas supplier and see if it's possible for them to run a secondary line to your house at a higher pressure. From what I understand, the main underground city lines run at a decent pressure and are regulated down just before they go into houses. Depending on your local situation you may be able to work out a sweet custom line. Worth a phone call to find out!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2008-12-15 at 6:45pm.