Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-28, 3:04am
Muthauckin Craft Time!

Opaque yellow orange has a slight "coral" effect. The rod is yellow on the outside with a thin orange tube like core inside. I really like this color. If you make a tight twisty with a transparent color, you can get some nice depth when using as an accent color or base.

I ordered 4lbs of shorts and a pound of SOP white. The SOP white is a great color. I'll post more info on colors and pics of beads when I have time. Some colors (butterscotch and opaque olive or army so far) are more shocky than the big name glass I've used. A rod warmer really saves time and stops the, sometimes impressive, explosions

Last edited by MuCreations; 2009-07-28 at 3:10am.
Old 2009-07-28, 7:10am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Yes, I was really bummed about the butterscotch when I tried it too. Devit and boiled and went 'matte', but I'm going to give it another try and work it much cooler to see if I can get it to play nice.
Mine did you but just in streaky bits and I quite like the effect. Similar to stone with a different kind of stone running through it. I did notice that if I reheated well, out on the end of the flame, most of mine disappeared.

ZKym
Old 2009-07-28, 7:57am

I really liked the devit for organics! I think it looks really great and sort of like part of the bead is etched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
Yes, I was really bummed about the butterscotch when I tried it too. Devit and boiled and went 'matte', but I'm going to give it another try and work it much cooler to see if I can get it to play nice.
Old 2009-07-30, 8:41pm
Muthauckin Craft Time!

I'm having a problem with encasing. I don't have any devardi clear, so I tried encasing a base bead made of devardi with effetre clear and got a crack or two perpendicular to the mandrel.

Does devardi not like being encased or do I need to encase with a devardi transparent? For now, I think devardi needs to mixed with itself only.
Old 2009-07-31, 4:10am
Striking-impared...

Hmmm, maybe try a different clear, or encase thinner? I've made beads with Vetro crystal clear and Devardi with no problem (even a month later, no cracking).

In general, I'd say yeah, use it with itself. But the clear isn't terribly clear, for encasing purposes at any rate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-31, 6:41am
Muthauckin Craft Time!

I have encased over devardi medium brown, sop white, yellow orange and chestnut red. I batch anneal. I put my beads in a heated crockpot to cool. All the encased devardi crack while cooling. Un-encased devardi beads are fine. Small ones will even do the freezer to boiling water test without annealing.

Maybe garaging right after is the key to keeping the beads together? I'm still new to lampworking and it might be my inexperience
Old 2009-07-31, 8:08am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuCreations View Post
<snip>
Maybe garaging right after is the key to keeping the beads together? I'm still new to lampworking and it might be my inexperience
They do say right on their website that going immediately into the kiln is recommended, especially when combining Devardi with other glasses. And be sure to heat the whole bead thoroughly after encasing to get the core up to the same temp as the casing before popping it in the kiln.

Old 2009-07-31, 8:16am

if you're mixing it, it doesn't like batching....(kind of the same goes for mixing Lauscha with effetre/moretti too--you can *sometimes* get away with batching that if you do *really good* insurance heat, but mixing it with other glass & all bets are off!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-07-31, 11:29am
Ad astra per aspera

My beads all go into the kiln immediately. I've been using Diamond Clear (first and seconds) and had no problems with encasing. I've also used some Vetrofond clear with good results. I don't have any Effetre clear anymore, so I can't test that part.

These are small beads I used for tests 2 months ago. All of them are still intact with no cracking. Some of the opaques only got a "waistline" wrap in clear, but the transparents are all clear-cased.
Attached Images

Old 2009-08-01, 7:49pm

ooh, Karen, those are PRETTY! (rainbow, love the graduated rainbow, even if they are test beads ....)
I really like the bubbly pink/purple ones!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-08-01, 9:22pm

Here are my experiments

The semi opaque white and pink went opaque because I annealed them at a too high temp. I have learnt since that devardi will keep its translucency (for the semi opaques) if annealed at a lower temp (490C). I was previously annealing at 500-510C and the lush semi opaques would go opaque.

The frogs are all effetre pea green. Only the base colours are devardi. I have been able to create an encased floral using a trans green moretti base, white moretti flowers with devardi trans pink on top, all fully encased in vetrofond clear with no cracks (but the bead turned out ugly so I won't post a pic of it )

Vanessa

|
|
|
|
|
Old 2009-08-01, 11:28pm
Ad astra per aspera

Default Trouble in Devardi Paradise

I had a wonderful torching session today, mainly working with various flavors of silvered glass, and I learned a thing or two.

This is NOT a blanket pronouncement, by any means, but I would suggest proceeding with caution with Devardi + silvered glass + clear encasing.

Victim #1 was a base of a really lovely bright olive green (not tagged, and a freebie, so no idea what specific color it was). I made a cylinder bead with it, marveled at the cool orange/red color it shifted to when hot (kinda like Effetre transparent grass greens do), then did a broken spiral wrapping with thin stringers of Precision Van Gogh. I used another stringer to work the spiral into twists on the surface, then encase the entire bead with Diamond Clear, leaving the base bead surface raised as much as possible for some texture. I did end up with several tiny, trapped air bubbles in the low spots, but I've done that in the past with other colors with no problems.

This time, however, it cracked, and cracked BAD. Definite incompatibility cracks, all around the bead in random, curved places. When I removed it from the mandrel, though, it stayed intact, and it was easy to see that it was only the clear that cracked. Rats!

Victim #2 had a base of Devardi transparent teal, with a thick spiral of DH Aion2, raked into chevrons and reduced, then cased with Diamond Clear. I then heated the whole bead and flattened it into a tab, then fire-polished all the chill marks out. There are hole to hole straight cracks on both sides, which could be thermal, but there are also curved cracks (again, only in the clear) on both sides, as well. Hrmph!

I've used this same batch of Diamond Clear before, a few weeks ago, over other Devardi colors, with absolutely no problems at all. I have a bigass yellow tab that I fussed over with a lot of surface stuff (murrini, vines, and leaves) and it's just fine.

This all leads me to be concerned about issues with the silvered glass being sandwiched between the Devardi and the DC. It's only two beads, so obviously more testing needs to be done, which I'll do more of tomorrow.

Your intrepid reporter.....

Old 2009-08-02, 2:21pm
If you don't member,ASK!

We haven't tryed this glass yet. I did order 1.5 mixed but have not gotten it in yet. Has anyone else had an issue with slow delivery. I ordered it on the 24th and it was just shipped on the 31st (after I sent an e-mail) Very disapointed. I was hoping to work with it this weekend. I am hoping it will come in the first of this week but I am not holding my breath.

Michel & Lisa

Empty right now, but Lots of goodies coming soon!
Old 2009-08-02, 3:39pm
Ad astra per aspera

Waterman, have a little bit of patience. They got swamped when their latest shipment was received, but I know they're working as fast as they can. They usually send out a notice when the package is shipped, and they ship by Priority Mail so it should be 2-3 days after that.

Old 2009-08-02, 9:41pm
Muthauckin Craft Time!

@Waterman: They were closed for a week (Jul. 24-31) for vacation. It was mentioned in their newsletter. Don't know if it was on the website though. They usually have very quick shipping.
Old 2009-08-02, 11:47pm
Ad astra per aspera

Just a little update on my compatibility issues. I made a small test bead from the same green, and encased it with the same rod of clear. It wasn't a FULL encase, there's a bit of green peeking out at each end, but it's close. NO cracking. And, on close inspection of the cracked bead, the cracking is almost entirely in the clear, not into the green base. So, I have to believe that the silvered glass was the culprit. Rats.

Old 2009-08-02, 11:50pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
Just a little update on my compatibility issues. I made a small test bead from the same green, and encased it with the same rod of clear. It wasn't a FULL encase, there's a bit of green peeking out at each end, but it's close. NO cracking. And, on close inspection of the cracked bead, the cracking is almost entirely in the clear, not into the green base. So, I have to believe that the silvered glass was the culprit. Rats.
Have you try to encase the silver glass with clear only?

Old 2009-08-03, 6:37am

Quote:
That was basically Haley's conclusion from the begining. Best now used your expensive silver glass with this glass.
Old 2009-08-03, 6:57am
I fart diamonds

Yeah, Hayley posted a while back that it doesn't play well with the silver glasses. All of her beads cracked.

Old 2009-08-03, 8:05am
Striking-impared...

I put some silver stringer decoration (melted in) on a bead before I had read that that silver glass and Devardi didn't play well together.

The bead is still fine, but I did NOT encase it with anything. I think I used the SO pink for the base and Aurae for the stringer.

I'll have to try the same combo encased and see what happens.

Old 2009-08-03, 8:11am

ya know, it might be that the encasing clear doesn't like devardi.
Old 2009-08-03, 10:20am
Ad astra per aspera

Thing is, I HAVE used Devardi as a base with some silvered glass in the past. That's why this bead was such a shocker. (Oh, and I have the bead on my bedside table--it's fascinating how it continues to crackle but doesn't fall apart.) I used the same silver color (a Triton odd silver) for both beads, so I hesitate to make a blanket statement about all silver colors. There's way too many variables, and I'm honestly too lazy to work it all out.

However, I would advise a 'proceed with caution' at least with a Devardi/silverglass/Diamond Clear combination.

I still love most of this glass, though. The champagne rose transparent...OMG OMG. It's gorgeous by itself, and with the right silvered glass it fumes like crazy! I'm going to spend most of this afternoon shooting bead pix (finally) and I WILL post my new favorite here. It's champagne rose, some violet dichro, and Ekho, and I'm in love!

More later.

Oh, I wanted to add another interesting reaction. IF you like caramel color beads, this is a cool one. I made a base of SO light blue (the one that looks like Effetre opalino sky blue) and dotted it with Aurae. The entire bead turned caramel, and the dots silvered up completely. I over-dotted with clear to get little windows. It's nifty, but I'd really wanted to keep the blue. LOL

Last edited by DesertDreamer; 2009-08-03 at 10:23am.
Old 2009-08-03, 2:31pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Thing is, I HAVE used Devardi as a base with some silvered glass in the past.
Maybe this time you got a bad batch of Devardi?

Old 2009-08-03, 3:28pm
Semi Retired

It is also my experience that some combination of Devardi and silver glass encased with clear will cause cracking. There are also many which play nicely. My favorite is salmon pink. Given the variety of yummy pallets, it is worth experimenting. I just received my new shipment and can't wait to find out more favorites.

Karen, can't wait to see the pictures. I am going to try the champaign rose, dichro, and Ekho too this afternoon.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-08-04, 10:04am
If you don't member,ASK!

Well I got my order today and I am a little worried about the rods. They are very wonky and several rods are cracked and very thick (think even if a warm them they will be very shocky). One rod is cracked along the length of the rod. I will be trying them hopefuly this evening but not sure if I will have time (work full time and get home late) I do like most of the colores I got so we will see.

MuCreations I did order from the website and have not seen the newsletter so I was unaware that they were on vacation when I ordered the glass.

Once I have some time to play with the glass I will let everyone know how it goes.

Michel & Lisa

Old 2009-08-04, 10:17am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
Well I got my order today and I am a little worried about the rods. They are very wonky and several rods are cracked and very thick (think even if a warm them they will be very shocky). One rod is cracked along the length of the rod. I will be trying them hopefuly this evening but not sure if I will have time (work full time and get home late) I do like most of the colores I got so we will see.

MuCreations I did order from the website and have not seen the newsletter so I was unaware that they were on vacation when I ordered the glass.

Once I have some time to play with the glass I will let everyone know how it goes.
Theire rods are handpulled, so they'll never be perfectly even. For $5.99/lb, you can't expect too much.

Old 2009-08-04, 10:43am
If you don't member,ASK!

shawnette I understand that they are hand pulled. Thats not what really worries me. It is the cracks and fractures that worry me. 5.99/lb I was not expecting too much. I really wanted this glass to ppp with more than anything.

Michel & Lisa

Old 2009-08-04, 12:28pm
I like to melt things

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Theire rods are handpulled, so they'll never be perfectly even. For $5.99/lb, you can't expect too much.
I don't want to cause another big storm of negativity, but many of the Effetre Premium colours and all of the CiM colours are hand-pulled and aren't all bent and weird looking. Typically, you only get that with 2nd quality 'oops' glass.

I haven't tried the Devardi so I don't have any opinion about it, but we shouldn't just be excusing the bent oddness of the rods just by saying it's handpulled.

-
-
Old 2009-08-04, 12:40pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
shawnette I understand that they are hand pulled. Thats not what really worries me. It is the cracks and fractures that worry me. 5.99/lb I was not expecting too much. I really wanted this glass to ppp with more than anything.
Yeah, those you do have to be careful of. Preheating is a must if you see cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I don't want to cause another big storm of negativity, but many of the Effetre Premium colours and all of the CiM colours are hand-pulled and aren't all bent and weird looking. Typically, you only get that with 2nd quality 'oops' glass.

I haven't tried the Devardi so I don't have any opinion about it, but we shouldn't just be excusing the bent oddness of the rods just by saying it's handpulled.
I don't and haven't used CIM, so I have no comment. As far as Effetre hand pulleds being even, I ordered 2lbs of Sage a couple years ago and every rod was uneven, curved or both and they all had a bubble running the entire length. Completely unusable and I was still charged the premium price. In fact, the only soft glass color I've ever seen discounted for flaws is Rocky Rubino.

I wasn't excusing the shape of the Devardi rods. Just giving a reason for it.

Old 2009-08-04, 1:48pm

They've never hidden the fact that the rods are thick and oddly shaped...it's on the site.

http://www.devardiglass.com/about.htm

I've gotten some of those bubbles in the premium priced glass before, too. Never as wide a variation as with the devardi, but for $5.99 a pound, I'm pleased.

Tried the opaque white today, and I'm very happy with it. Opaque orange seemed to want to be frit, lol. Black was nice to me, too. It thins out to a purpley color.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi