Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: bullseye or coe 104
stick with coe 104 74 55.64%
go with the bullseye 49 36.84%
get a job 10 7.52%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-07-12, 12:23am

Default bullseye or moretti?

for those of you who have worked with both, which do you prefer?

I have recently worked with bullseye and I LOVE it!! I love the colors, I love the consistency. The prices are high but not that bad once you get the BE discount.

My problem is that I am a wanna be glass ho and I cant afford to stock on 2 different types of glass.
so if it were a one or the other thing what would you pick?

I am not HUGE into color reactions. I like sculpture. so that is one bonus for BE. I love the fact that BE is so willing to take suggestions for colors directly from the artist. I love that the glass is american made.

Moretti- I love rubino and opal yellow oooo and EDP! and copper green... LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-12, 1:42am
HourGlass Studio

I think you need to do both from the sounds of things. LOL

Old 2006-07-12, 3:43am

If your heart says Bullseye, then make it happen. I'm not a Bullseye user (in fact, I just swapped my Bullseye stash because I didn't care for it) but a few months ago I was feeling like you do. I love Effetre and some colors I really LOVE, but my heart kept calling for another brand of glass so I made the switch and couldn't be happier. Of course I still have a healthy stash of Effetre so I can always still make beads in it, but I moved it out of my primary shelving area to make room for the 96coe glass that I switched to.

Follow your heart and you will find your work with thank you for it. Just because you switch to Bullseye doesn't mean you cant switch back to Moretti every now and then when you need a copper green, rubino oro and opal yellow fix.

Old 2006-07-12, 3:54am
ID10T Problem Solver

Hmmmm....I think you should pick the one that gives you the most inspiration, then send me the other one!

I have been buying variety packs of them both here and there, but I just started and do not have a defined style, where I need specific colors more than others...I find that I treasure my Bullseye more and hoard it though.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-07-12, 4:52am
<--Want a Kiss

I tend to use the bullseye more often, but I won't get rid of my 104. I use 96 a lot - uroboros has a gorgeous grape purple and I love the longer rods for off-mandrel pendants.

mini cc w/EX-15 oxycon
Old 2006-07-12, 6:27am

I have to stick with Moretti for now because I'm on such a tight budget I can't invest in the Bullseye, but Ohhhhhhhhhh, it's so pretty and I can't wait to try it. (sigh)

Old 2006-07-12, 6:30am

I like the way bullseye melts. I think it's a bit stiffer than Moretti
Liz R

MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2006-07-12, 6:42am
Crispy Critter

I'd go with the BE, but keep a few rods of my favorite Effetre colors on hand.

Old 2006-07-12, 7:11am

I love them all, but occasionally do get a misplaced rod, but not so big a problem to warrant limiting your pallette...use it all. Viva la glass. Love, Helen

Before His throne is a sea of glass like crystal.

Old 2006-07-12, 7:47am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by msritaa
I have to stick with Moretti for now because I'm on such a tight budget I can't invest in the Bullseye, but Ohhhhhhhhhh, it's so pretty and I can't wait to try it. (sigh)
I'm with Rita. I have a very small stash of Bullseye, but LOVE it. Once I can scrape up the money, I'm going to invest in the Studio Pack. But that's not likely to happen any time soon. Maybe towards the end of the year....
Old 2006-07-12, 8:20am
Looking for my waistline

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_beads
Follow your heart and you will find your work with thank you for it. Just because you switch to Bullseye doesn't mean you cant switch back to Moretti every now and then when you need a copper green, rubino oro and opal yellow fix.
That's great advice. I know what you mean about not being able to afford both types of glass. What I did was work on collecting Effetre colors for a couple years, then started collecting BE colors. If you like the BE, start the other way around.

As far as the rubino color, BE has just come out with some new pinks that might be close enough to rubino to suit your taste. They should be available in rod form next year.

You can always buy the Effetre colors you like plus a few base colors to satisfy your copper green and opal yellow!

Char
Old 2006-07-12, 8:25am
Resident Luny

I love me the bullseye. It's all I use. I am a big Bullseye cheerleader rah rah rah.

I like that it is stiffer. More time to think. Made in America, and made locally for me, which is important to me as I am trying to make my business as sustainable as I can.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2006-07-12, 9:14am
Michelle Morrison-Geschke

Default Bullseye!

Brandie,
I've seen your posts...so I know you are familiar with Kalera and her wonderful "Marketing Plan"! Reason enough to buy Bullseye!

I started with Bullseye, but have tried the Italian glass once and have more on the way...Thanks to your generous heart ("free glass" thread) and another very generous lady (Chuckie!) and also someone special that is sending me a couple rods of german (?) glass (Kevan).

I'll love trying all the different types when my studio is up and running!

I know Bullseye will be my glass of choice when I make a purchase (and I'll buy from Bridgetown glass!) I love that it is made here in Oregon and want to buy locally. I think I'm going to be overly obsessed with the Odd Lots!

Good luck with what you decide! Just keep them separate and there is nothing wrong with having both!

Michelle

and
New items!

I'm mostly over at Facebook these days... and working. Life has gotten... Hectic. I will try to check messages here... but try FB if you need me...
Old 2006-07-12, 9:51am
Dangerous Woman

I love and use them both! I say do both!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2006-07-12, 10:03am

I guess my biggest problem with doing both is that I cant afford to restock both. and if I get rid of the moretti I might be able to do the studio stocker.

I havent seen many colors that moretti has that I cant find close or better in Bullseye. And it can be more expensive but by the time you get the discount it really evens out more.

And like Lunesse, I totally dig being able to support the american market. And I dont see Moretti on our boards asking what colors we want??

Since I recieved BE in trades and a purchase of some odd lots I cant put it down. I love the fact that the colors are pretty enough that if I wanted to I could make beads in one color The odd lots are to die for! Sugar Daddy, Caramel swirl, and OMG the lusters

Old 2006-07-12, 10:09am

I Have always gone morreti for my flameworking, but I really want to give bullseye a try. I plan on getting some at the gathering and giving it a try.

I am like you I really do not want to stock two glass assortments, but I do not want to limit myself either.

I also really dig the idea of supporting an American manufacturer.

Brad

Now Fully Stocked!!!!
Old 2006-07-12, 12:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond the Bead
Brandie,
I've seen your posts...so I know you are familiar with Kalera and her wonderful "Marketing Plan"! Reason enough to buy Bullseye!

I started with Bullseye, but have tried the Italian glass once and have more on the way...Thanks to your generous heart ("free glass" thread) and another very generous lady (Chuckie!) and also someone special that is sending me a couple rods of german (?) glass (Kevan).

I'll love trying all the different types when my studio is up and running!

I know Bullseye will be my glass of choice when I make a purchase (and I'll buy from Bridgetown glass!) I love that it is made here in Oregon and want to buy locally. I think I'm going to be overly obsessed with the Odd Lots!

Good luck with what you decide! Just keep them separate and there is nothing wrong with having both!

Michelle
LOL well if it was the thought of men i think Zach would have alot of competition from those hot sweaty italian men. they have to be pretty fit to do their job.. Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe I will stick to moretti. LOL

and isnt Kalera scandalous?? She knew what she was doing.. LOL

Old 2006-07-12, 12:56pm
Dichro Addict

Don't overlook the fact, that with Bullseye, you are not limited to rods. You can buy sheet glass and strip it. For some things, it is a lot easier to work with a strip than a rod.

I love Bullseye and use it quite a lot.

My other love is Spectrum and the other 96coe glasses which go with it. You can use all the frit or Kugler that you want. LOL

Vicki

Old 2006-07-12, 1:21pm

one other plus with bullseye -- as sparklelover mentioned, the sheet glass is completely compatible. if you can find a production studio that uses bullseye, chances are they have pounds & pounds of scrap that you can cut up & use for very little money. i rent torch time at aquilla art glass in portland, and they sell scrap sheet glass mix & match for $6/lb. and you don't have to buy a full pound, can just pick out pieces you like & weigh em up. this works well with friends who fuse bullseye as well - pull them some stringer or something in return.

for folks around portland: http://www.aquilaartglass.com/

I really love both kinds of glass, but as bullseye comes out with better colors (and those lustres!!) i just move more and more in their direction. but i just put in a big order with jodell for coe 104 & a bit of 90... lol. if bullseye comes out with more reactive colors i'll switch fer sure.
Old 2006-07-12, 3:47pm
Mama said

What's Kalera's wonderful marketing plan??
Old 2006-07-12, 4:36pm

zach is Kalera's plan... see the thread "I thought you should know" in the sales rack" woooeee !!!

Old 2006-07-12, 4:36pm

and who voted get a job??? LOL

Old 2006-07-12, 4:41pm
yukue fumei

sounds like you are loving the Bullseye, so I vote for Bullseye....and Zach
Old 2006-07-12, 5:13pm
Mama said

That's right. I saw Zach. He's okay.

He ain't got nothin' on my Bubba, though.
Old 2006-07-12, 5:59pm

I have both... I love moretti for its reactivity... I love BE for its consistent colors and rods of equal diameter. IT seems that glass at BE is Science where the glass coming out of Moretti is serendipidous...The insanity over odd lots and the prices for those can only benefit one person and that is Mike Frantz.

I love Mike. I personally feel that lampworking today in the USA would not be where it is without Mike. I feel he has been instrumental in getting glass here in quanitities so that we can all enjoy them. That said, someone paying $100 for a 1/4 pound of the old opal yellow that is now on back on his shelves as a new lot ...well...

I have to think that lampworkers have money to burn and making money is not the object. That is nothing new to those of us who create for our sanity not our pocket books...

Gee you didn't ask this...

The one problem I have with BE is cracking. I recently called them again about their annealling schedule and was told this time.... must soak at 960 for an hour and then down 100 degrees/hour for 4 or 5 hours.

I never used to have problems with BE cracking but cracks have raised their ugly fissures again. I have had some beads laying around for quite some time and the other day I looked at one...and it had cracked... I leave them out and check them from time to time to see ....and this one developed a crack 2 months later.

If you can tell me what the secret it...please do... I never had problems with BE cracking until the last year.

I love them both...I don't like either for different reasons.

OK more than you wanted to know? ...lol next time maybe posts should say...
in 100 words or less....sorry I am still wound up over my ebay experience.
sigh

Beads galore at my ebay store!

Minor with a REGALIA heavenly!
Old 2006-07-12, 7:30pm

yep I agree. it is either the same colors from moretti or the prices are all jacked up. and I dont like the hype I feel about this batch is like this but this next batch looks more like this and on and on. always ordering different colors but expecting something else. It is exciting at times to see what new odds they are gonna have but when it is lets say red, and you order more red and it is orangish (just an example) it kindof defeats the purpose of calling it red. ya know? and I can expect some exciting colors from BE the first week of every month. gives me something to look forward to. and the prices wont be outrageous cause its an odd. and come on now, these people have been making glass for how long and cant make the exact same color twice???

Old 2006-07-12, 7:33pm

I like both, but use Moretti more often. I like solid opaques and so many of the BE opaques are kinda translucent. A lot of people like that, I just don't. I do like the color consistancy that you get. Once you buy BE orange, it is always that color. BE is making more and more new colors and that is so cool. I do use their stained glass for beads and it is cool, but it is not all compatable as stated above, only if you use the tested and compatable ones. I have several that are not compatable and one I really really wish was and it labels as compatable is isn't with the Schott clear, silly cranberry, white and purple streaky stained glass.

OH OH Schott clear, nothing better!

Anyway, I still prefer Moretti, but I like BE.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-07-12, 8:19pm
Expert Thread Strangler

Performance wise I love BE - it melts and shapes up so wonderfully! Color and price wise I have lots more Moretti/Vetro. I'm a sucker for odd lots...
Old 2006-07-23, 1:20am
sorcerer

Generaly the stiffer the glass the easier it is to work with( which could explain the popularity of Boro) I have worked with all types of glass and I will give you a quick critique, starting with the stiffest: Boro very stiff requires much more heat, ie more gas and oxy, limited colours and those that they do have are often full of bubbles, great clear though and silver realy comes alive with the acidic glass. Bullseye , stiffer than the italian glass, nice to work with, soft colours, a lot of them just a bit too weak, tends to be a bit shocky in the flame as you are working. Spectrum, Hmmm, I'll talk about this one when they make some real glass. Effetre My choice for lampworking seems to have the largest colour range is very soft so requires more skill to work with, is very good for sculptural work, Vetrofont, a bit like Effetre but with not so many colours.
Lauscha, Hmmm, some good some bad, their COE seems to wander about a bit from batch to batch good clear though. Sataka, a bit too soft for my liking but I have only tried the lead based stuff, you can just about work this over a lighted match,
I guess the best thing to do is choose the glass that is the best for what you do, in your opinion, and remember the above is just that, my opinion.
Bernard, ( 25 years of professional glass work)
Old 2006-07-25, 3:47am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

There really is no reason why you can't use both. I use Moretti most of the time because it is cheaper and I like it. BUT I do also have a smaller bullseye stash that I use when I want the particular colours. I would use moretti where you can because it is so much cheaper and then when you need a colour that moretti does not make use the bullseye. That way you can have a large stash of the glass you use mostly and a little stash of the other type.