TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-04-28, 6:16pm
Pyromaniac

I tried these in boro and they are fun, but take a LONG time.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-05-05, 8:09pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Here's a teeny, weeny pleated marble, about 3mm:

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-05-05, 8:26pm

Oh Tink, those are so darn cute.

Old 2008-05-05, 8:27pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

LOL! Thanks! I just HAD to try it, ya know?

Also Available in

Old 2008-05-06, 7:54am

Oh Tink, those are so little and so cute. Gelly the frog is wonderful.

Here are a couple that I tried a couple of days ago. They were fun to make and I love the "pleated" look for floral backgrounds.

tail wags,
Peggy

Old 2008-05-06, 8:46am
Dangerous Woman

Peggy they look great.

Tink, I can't even begin to imagiine how to make such small works. Your little ducks amaze me.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-05-06, 7:43pm

Ok, so here are my latest twisty beads. Since ya'll know I'm a bit confused between the pleated and twisty and the difference of the two, would you consider these pleated?
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-05-06, 8:03pm
passionate about pets

I would call them pleated. they look like pleated

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

Old 2008-05-07, 7:10am

Lara, I think the difference as in the Japanese Bead book is the pleated beads are marvered into bicones. It's very time consuming and a little different. That's my take anyway.
Old 2008-05-07, 7:24am

It's the twistie that is used and how it's made that make the bead look as though it is "pleated". If you make the twisties the way the book shows, you will get that look. If you use other forms of twisties, the "pleats" will look more one dimentional.

Peggy Rose and Lara, those beads look wonderful.

Old 2008-05-07, 7:25pm

Thank you.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2008-05-09, 8:31am

Tink! You blow me away. That teeny is adorable!

Lara, beautiful colors, so soft. Yes, I would call them pleated. The one in the top, center clearly shows the V of the ribbon, which to me says pleated.

Ginko Beads
Old 2008-05-09, 9:52am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Thanks! I'm hopelessly addicted to the miniscule

Seeing this thread pop up again put me in a panic because I remembered putting the itsy pleated marble in a globe, but I couldn't find it. It wasn't listed on Etsy. I knew I hadn't even taken pics of the finished globe yet. I finally found it in a totally bizarre place.

At least I found it. It's in a Micro Planet Depository globe, safe and sound. Whew! I'm going to try to take some better pics of it later today.

ETA: Nah. Those pics will have to do. I just can't deal with pics today. LOL!

Also Available in

Last edited by Tink; 2008-05-09 at 9:57am.
Old 2008-05-09, 2:08pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Default Interesting!

For all of you who are doing "pleated" beads, you've actually conquered the implosion technique. You're just imploding both ends of the bead -- where the imploded pendants we see lots of the boro folks doing are just imploding one side off-mandrel! So, isn't that interesting???!!!!LOL

Keep spinning glass, no other fun like it!
Lea
Old 2008-05-09, 2:21pm

Thanks Lea!!

Can you expound on that a bit please? As someone who still doesn't "get" implosions, I would love you to explain the parallels and differences.

I can make pleated neads, but can't even begin to understand how to make an implosion!
thanks
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
For all of you who are doing "pleated" beads, you've actually conquered the implosion technique. You're just imploding both ends of the bead -- where the imploded pendants we see lots of the boro folks doing are just imploding one side off-mandrel! So, isn't that interesting???!!!!LOL

Keep spinning glass, no other fun like it!
Lea

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-05-09, 3:54pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Default Hmmmm...

..let's see if I can explain (I'm much better at demonstrating than explaining!LOL)

I've been doing implosions for awhile so the minute I tried the pleat technique, I knew they were essentially doing the same thing. You know where you are focusing the heat of the flame at the edge of the encasement and the twisty? And then as you're holding the mandrel almost vertically and the encasement begins to flow down and cover the twisty and the end of the base bead creating the effect of the fat lady's ankle as someone so graciously analogized it? The flowing stops when your encasement meets the mandrel in this case. And then you do the same thing on the other side of the bead, creating her second ankle. ROTFL.

Well, the implosion is created the same way. The heat of the flame is focused on the edge of the encasing "disk" where it is going to flow down and cover the surface decoration (whether it's dots or frit or petals or whatever). At this point, you are basically holding the glass rod vertically just as you held the mandrel vertically above. The implosion design happens when that surface decoration gets sucked down with the encasing layer. The difference is that the encasement continues and "traps" the surface decoration fully encasing it -- where when you did it above, the mandrel prevented this from happening.

So the pleated bead is basically the on-mandrel version of an implosion. In the case of the "pleats" you've used the encasement to pull the twisty down -- in the case of the implosion you've used the encasement to pull the surface decoration down.

OK, does that make any sense???? Just try it on blind faith (trust me), and you'll get it!

Best,
Lea
Old 2008-05-09, 4:21pm

I am going to try what you suggest, but I guess my bottom line problem is that I never hold my mandrel vertically when creating a pleated bead!

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-05-09, 11:04pm

Gelly;

Do you think you could do a tut on these beads? They're Wonderful!!!

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
Great beads everyone!! I don't know the correct terms for anything, but I call these pleated also. I'm still amazed at all of the different looks/effects that we can create with the same basic thing (twistie).

Here are a couple of my current ones.