Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-07-08, 7:06am
And silence is golden

Default Messy Phoenix-any experience with this color?

I recently purchased some Messy Phoenix. The picture in the description looks like a pale salmon pink, with some ecru looking color surfacing. I was filled with anticipation to get this glass, only to see the rods are the color of Orange when they arrive. So I do a search on beads made with this color, and I find some that look like a deep orange. Pretty, but hardly what I had expected. Has anyone here bought this, and got it to come out looking like the Messy color swatch?

Got pics?
Old 2010-07-08, 7:11am
aka Spawn Of Flame

I got a beautiful saturated orange color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--
--

Old 2010-07-08, 7:18am
And silence is golden

That is definitely not what I wanted. Very pretty orange though. Thank you for posting your picture Rosemarie.

Anyone else have pics?

Herer is the color swatch:

Last edited by Shrimp; 2010-07-08 at 7:23am.
Old 2010-07-08, 7:19am
Did someone say SALE?

I find that if I heat make the bead and stick it into the kiln, it has that creamy color. If I strike it a couple of times I get more orange. Salmon not as much. I am sure you were hoping it would look like Poppy.
Old 2010-07-08, 7:24am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassyEyedGirl View Post
I find that if I heat make the bead and stick it into the kiln, it has that creamy color. If I strike it a couple of times I get more orange. Salmon not as much. I am sure you were hoping it would look like Poppy.
Poppy-nope. I am looking for the color of the swatch.
Old 2010-07-08, 7:38am
aka Spawn Of Flame

The swatch is really pretty! Someone gave me the rod that I have, so I had no expectations. I really love the color that I got, but would have been really disappointed if I had seen the swatch first.

I do tend to cool and heat the beads a lot (lots of striking) - so that would explain the saturated color. It does seem that the technique Beth describes (little striking) might yield something closer to the swatch.

--
--
--

Old 2010-07-08, 8:16am
Disconnected

These were Phoenix

Ain't no Poppy (I had thought so after someone posted their test beads in this thread -unfortunately the pictures are gone) but it's one of my favourite CIM colors.

This page has a ton of information about the wonders of Phoenix, but I guess you checked it already

Old 2010-07-08, 11:52am

I love that CiM page! It is so loaded with information!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-07-08, 12:15pm
And silence is golden

Flonche, Beautiful beads! I didn't see that page. Thank you! I don't know why I expected the glass to look anything like the swatch!
Old 2010-07-08, 12:20pm
Disconnected

Thank you Aleta, and you're welcome. I too was hoping for some kind of poppiness after that person posted her test beads, hence the confusion, but I certainly was not disappointed once I melted it!

Old 2010-07-08, 1:16pm

The swatch is beautiful. I can see why you'd want it. It reminds me of what opal yellow can do when it's treated just right. Unfortunately I have a hard time treating it just right.

Old 2010-07-08, 7:29pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Nope I don't get anything close to the swatch and it's really dissappointing. I just get a pretty orange. If I would have seen that color at first though, I would not have bought it. Orange does not sell well for me.

Ebay:
Old 2010-07-09, 1:49am

I have one disc bead sitting right here that is a reject from an autumn-themed key fob. It wasn't "autumn" enough for the project but it does have color variation and where it is lighter, similar to the CIM picture, it got lots of heat while being made. Hope this helps!

Old 2010-07-09, 8:01am

I received two rods in a freebie from one of the glass suppliers I order from -- Frantz, maybe? I fired up my torch last night and made a couple of plain round beads. I only removed it from the heat once to roll in a beadroller, then reheated a bit and stuck into the annealing bubbles. This morning it's a very pretty creamy, pinky, orange. Heavy on the cream and pink. I just might have to buy more sometime down the road.

Old 2010-07-09, 8:07am
And silence is golden

Steph, I'd love to see a pic if you have the ability to do that!

Barb, it sounds like you were able to get it to cooperate! I would like to see a picture if you have the equipment to do it!
Old 2010-07-09, 8:14am

I'll most definitely try. Might be later today.

Old 2010-07-09, 9:16am

I can post a pic, too, and I hope to have it posted by Sat.

Old 2010-07-09, 10:39am

Default Phoenix from a Scorpion

I used the center fire only, made the bead, rolled in bead roller only once then cooled in annealing bubbles. After I took the pics I realized there is a crack in it. I'm very disappointed, but not deterred. LOL I'm going to make another one this evening. The rods are different shades; don't know what the finished product will be like.

You can see the small crack in this one. But it's sure a beautiful color. I may have to reheat it more before I cool it down the final time.

Old 2010-07-09, 4:44pm

Here's the disc bead I was referring to....three different views.

Old 2010-07-10, 8:13pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Steph and Barb - love the color you got. I'm going to have to try mine out again. I made two beads and they were just orange.

Ebay:
Old 2010-07-10, 9:48pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Steph & Barb - ohhhhhh, I LOVE this color!!!
Those are some lovely variations you got there.
Need to get it onto my shopping list!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-07-11, 6:09pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephBonniwell View Post
Here's the disc bead I was referring to....three different views.

If anyone can get color from Phoenix, its you Steph.... You rock!!!! These are great!
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-07-11, 6:16pm
And silence is golden

I love the colors you all are getting.
Old 2010-07-12, 2:31am

I just got some Phoenix a few days ago, and the rods look orange. I haven't used it yet, but I really, really hope it doesn't look like the rod when I melt it. If I want ORANGE, I'll buy anyone of the other million oranges out there for a lot less money. Also, when it comes to other colors -- I can't see spending something like $15.00 per 1/4 lb of glass only to get the exact same results I could get with something that is $3.00 per 1/4 lb.
But I bought some phoenix several months ago -- and even the RODS looked more like the swatch. When I made beads out of them, the color was delicious. It looked just like the swatch, only with even more color variations. I could even get it to go a pale creamy peach color depending on flame conditions.

Last edited by Jammy; 2010-07-12 at 2:36am.
Old 2010-07-12, 2:46am

Thank you for the kind comments on that simple bead. My glass was purchased some time ago so maybe it is a difference in batches, I don't know. When I made that disc, it reminded me of working with EDP (without the devit) or poppy in the sense of too much heat would lighten the glass color. I hope the new batches work well, too!!

Old 2010-07-12, 3:34am

Or maybe it's like Canyon de Chelly- I used to get awesome colours from it on my hothead, now on a minor it's blah.

Old 2010-07-12, 6:29am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy View Post
I can't see spending something like $15.00 per 1/4 lb of glass only to get the exact same results I could get with something that is $3.00 per 1/4 lb.

But I bought some phoenix several months ago -- and even the RODS looked more like the swatch. When I made beads out of them, the color was delicious. It looked just like the swatch, only with even more color variations. I could even get it to go a pale creamy peach color depending on flame conditions.
I am so with you on the opposition of paying $15 for 1/4 lb of glass that looks like another glass for about 1/6th the price.

I was really expecting the rods to at least have some sort of salmon/tan color.
Old 2010-07-12, 6:32am

I made 2 more last night, one from each rod. They both came out without a crack this time and the colors are creamy pink. I'll post pics later.

Old 2010-07-12, 8:35am

Default CIM Phoenix 7/11

Here are two I made last night, one from each rod:

The lighter bead is from the lighter rod, but pretty much the same. This time I worked the bead, cooled it till glow was gone and put into the annealing bubbles. I did not use any shaping tool so there was no cooling in between heating. It's really a pretty color.

Old 2010-07-12, 9:26am

Barb, That is really pretty.