Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-08, 3:49pm
boro color bender

Exclamation Activated carbon in the kiln etched my soft glass clear!

Ok, so this was weird. I've put charcoal in the kiln before and nothing happened to the finish of the beads... well I didn't have coal, so I used some activated carbon. All of the clear glass that wasn't reduced metallic silver glass kind of etched... weirdness I tell ya! The surface is totally matte. I'm not really happy about it, but it's good to know I guess. So if anybody has activated charcoal for the bronze metal clay, you might want to think twice about substituting it for charcoal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-10-08, 4:22pm
Where's the coffee?

Can I be completely stupid and ask why you put the charcoal in the kiln in the first place? I'm so clueless.

Old 2008-10-08, 5:17pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonfireBeads View Post
Can I be completely stupid and ask why you put the charcoal in the kiln in the first place? I'm so clueless.
I want to ask too

|
|
Old 2008-10-08, 5:49pm

I put the activated carbon in my kiln when I do silver/reduction glass. I've heard that it helps if you have problems with your beads un-reducing in the kiln. You can get it wherever they sell fish/aquarium supplies. Only thing is that you end up with a big container and it doesn't take much! Oh well, it will last forever All my beads come out great so it can't hurt!!!
My only question is what do you put the carbon in? The glass container I used broke even though I let it heat up with the kiln. Thanks!
Andrea
Old 2008-10-09, 5:13am
phrit phreak

weird for sure. I've never heard of doing this. I guess ya learn something new everyday

Old 2008-10-09, 5:20am
Does my glass look 2 big?

I've been using the activated charcoal every firing for the last month. Just pinch a bit from a large jar, which was my only option at the pet shop, and drop it on the bottom of the kiln, no container. After the firing there is a little pile of gray crumbs instead of the larger pieces of coal. I just keep adding until I figure it's time to clean them out.

Never had a bead etch before, no more un-reducing problems.

Last edited by Olimpia; 2008-10-09 at 6:06am.
Old 2008-10-09, 5:40am
Sheila

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonfireBeads View Post
It creates a reduction environment.

Old 2008-10-09, 5:48am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBird View Post
weird for sure. I've never heard of doing this. I guess ya learn something new everyday
Tsk! Tsk! We cover this in the Tips and Tricks class. Some kilns have an environment that is higher in O2 than other kilns, and they can effectively de-reduce the finish right off your work. Adding just a pea-sized bit of activated charcoal uses up that extra O2 (layman's explanation, so no one jump on me for scientific accuracy here) and prevents your reduction effects from disappearing.

I like to use it in a more controlled manner than just putting the bit of charcoal in the kiln: A red clay pot or drip dish (the thing that goes UNDER the pot) turned upside down has worked for me. I put any reduced pieces under that along with the charcoal. I do this in an effort to protect my kiln elements.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-10-09, 5:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
I like to use it in a more controlled manner than just putting the bit of charcoal in the kiln: A red clay pot or drip dish (the thing that goes UNDER the pot) turned upside down has worked for me. I put any reduced pieces under that along with the charcoal. I do this in an effort to protect my kiln elements.
Tink,
Would these pieces be batch annealed? I just can't figure out how to do this if I am garaging.

Old 2008-10-09, 6:02am
Borovangelist

doesn't that leave some extra muck in there that'll eventually discolor your glass? Of course I often burn off the carbon soot from my ornaments in the kiln too, so maybe not.

|
|
Old 2008-10-09, 6:05am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by closer2fine View Post
Tink,
Would these pieces be batch annealed? I just can't figure out how to do this if I am garaging.
True. At least for me, that is. I suppose you could use a tool or something to lift up the pot or dish and put the piece under it though.

Menty, it burns up completely.

Also Available in
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

Old 2008-10-09, 6:06am

Nothing's happened so far with how I do it (knock on wood) other than my reduced beads not un-reducing.

Old 2008-10-09, 6:09am

Quote:
True. At least for me, that is. I suppose you could use a tool or something to lift up the pot or dish and put the piece under it though.

Menty, it burns up completely.
My bead door is tiny! About 2" tall by 6" wide, the size of a kiln brick. I can barely fit beads in there. Last batch I put in a shelf for worry of a melt down but then I couldn't fit the beads with the bead rack! Just had to double, triple, quadruple.... the kiln floor with kiln wash!

Old 2008-10-09, 6:56am
phrit phreak

Quote:
Tsk! Tsk! We cover this in the Tips and Tricks class. Some kilns have an environment that is higher in O2 than other kilns, and they can effectively de-reduce the finish right off your work. Adding just a pea-sized bit of activated charcoal uses up that extra O2 (layman's explanation, so no one jump on me for scientific accuracy here) and prevents your reduction effects from disappearing.

oppps my B I have the memory of a goldfish.

I have the memory of a goldfish.

I have the .....bwa ha ha ha Plus i have the bad habit if it's something I'm not gonna do or am interested in...I don't retain it.

Old 2008-10-09, 10:35am
boro color bender

Now I am just plain creeped out! I went out this morning to get the pieces and was all prepared to buff them up... well... they are glossy again! WTF? Yesterday evening, they were matte as can be. I tried rubbing it off with my shirt and it wouldn't wipe off. They were still warm, but now they look shiny as the morning sun! OMG! I am perplexed! Any idea what happened? I didn't take any drugs and was not drinking last night! I promise.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-10-09, 10:44am
Spoiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
I didn't take any drugs and was not drinking last night! I promise.
Well there goes my theory.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-10-09, 11:49am
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Ok, so this was weird. I've put charcoal in the kiln before and nothing happened to the finish of the beads... well I didn't have coal, so I used some activated carbon. All of the clear glass that wasn't reduced metallic silver glass kind of etched... weirdness I tell ya! The surface is totally matte. I'm not really happy about it, but it's good to know I guess. So if anybody has activated charcoal for the bronze metal clay, you might want to think twice about substituting it for charcoal.
I know where you can get some high temp burning coal.

Old 2008-10-09, 12:14pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Quote:
Now I am just plain creeped out! I went out this morning to get the pieces and was all prepared to buff them up... well... they are glossy again! WTF? Yesterday evening, they were matte as can be. I tried rubbing it off with my shirt and it wouldn't wipe off. They were still warm, but now they look shiny as the morning sun! OMG! I am perplexed! Any idea what happened? I didn't take any drugs and was not drinking last night! I promise.

yeah right. Maybe your glasses were damp dude lol

Old 2008-10-09, 12:24pm
I speak Murrini!

Sorry, but that's really funny Brent! I don't know what to say...I think I'm living in a fog most of the time - I'm hoping someone opens my kiln door soon and everything is glossy and clear (what are the chances, though!) I tell ya what would work...hitting the lottery! The world (I think!) would become an absolutely sparkly Oz then...at least for a minute or so, I guess!

Glad it all worked out!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-09, 1:18pm
boro color bender

Seriously... these were even matte to the touch last night. I wish I had a picture of my face when I saw them today.

Old 2008-10-09, 1:23pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Seriously... these were even matte to the touch last night. I wish I had a picture of my face when I saw them today.
The shiny fairy showed up and fixed your beads.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-10-09, 1:38pm
Normal is Boring!!

Ha the glass gremlins are at it again! "snickering"

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-10-09, 5:45pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
The shiny fairy showed up and fixed your beads.
That was SOOOOO nice of her. I planned on wasting a good long while polishing beads I'll never sell today... just because that's how I'm wired.

Old 2008-10-09, 6:58pm

Quote:
That was SOOOOO nice of her. I planned on wasting a good long while polishing beads I'll never sell today... just because that's how I'm wired.
Elephant magic works on soft glass too Brent, didn't you know?

Vanessa
Old 2008-10-10, 12:32am

Darn! I would have loved to see the beads as they were "etched" I still bet they were beautiful!