Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2008-02-11, 5:16pm

Default Andrea Guarino - Master/Silver Class - Winter Schedule

WINTER DATES
NOVEMBER 7 - 9, 2008
NOVEMBER 14 - 16, 2008
DECEMBER 5 - 7, 2008

Many people have asked about my bead making process, especially the colors I use and the effects. I have been working on a class to let students explore the use of enamels and new ways to work with silver and PMC. This exciting new extended class will include a wealth of new information. These classes are for ADVANCED BEADMAKERS and will be taught at my Port Townsend studio.

Here are some of the things we will cover:

1. Methods for using enamels to create wonderful blended and gradient colors on glass beads.

2. Create beautiful silver end caps using Precious Metal Clay. Once we have made the caps I will teach you how to rivet them on your own beads using Jim Moore's riveting press. We will also be applying silver cores to beads with a hole size up to 1/2" in diameter.

3. Students will learn how to do off-mandrel work (such as my hearts) and use twisted canes (created in the class) enamels and new glass stamps to decorate their work.

4. We will cover gold and silver fuming and make a sea garden, nautilus, and ammonite beads as well as other beads.

5. We will also cover the importance of good ventilation when doing silver and gold fuming as well as when using enamels. You will be given a set of instructions for easily making a powerful low cost, easy to set up ventilation system.

FOR DETAILS PLEASE GO TO:
http://andreaguarino.com/masterclass.html

Andrea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-11, 10:22pm
Smile, it's contagious!

dang... sounds like a BLAST! I wonder if I will ever get to take a class. If I do, you are at the top of my list!!!

I'm not sure if I'd actually learn anything though... I'm sure I'd be in awe watching you work and not be able to concentrate, lol!

What are the requirements for being an "advanced beadmaker"?

Some people are like a Slinky... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.
Old 2008-02-11, 10:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
dang... sounds like a BLAST! I wonder if I will ever get to take a class. If I do, you are at the top of my list!!!

I'm not sure if I'd actually learn anything though... I'm sure I'd be in awe watching you work and not be able to concentrate, lol!

What are the requirements for being an "advanced beadmaker"?
LOL! Gelly you are more than qualified!!!!! It would be so much fun to have you in class....... I am sure I would learn a lot from you!!!!!

Old 2008-02-15, 12:50pm

Wow - if I took a class with Andrea as teacher and Gelly as fellow student, I wouldn't get anything done - I'd be too busy admiring both of your techniques!

Seriously, Andrea - what qualifications do you have to have as an "advanced beadmaker"? I've been lampworking for about 1-1/2 years part time, but I know I wouldn't consider myself "advanced". However, if I have at least some of the skills necessary I'd consider going up to WA for one of your classes.

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)
Old 2008-02-15, 10:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
Wow - if I took a class with Andrea as teacher and Gelly as fellow student, I wouldn't get anything done - I'd be too busy admiring both of your techniques!

Seriously, Andrea - what qualifications do you have to have as an "advanced beadmaker"? I've been lampworking for about 1-1/2 years part time, but I know I wouldn't consider myself "advanced". However, if I have at least some of the skills necessary I'd consider going up to WA for one of your classes.

-Diane
Hi Diane!
Wouldn't it be great with Gelly here too!!!! Come on Gelly!!!!

As far as skill level is concerned it is very helpful if you can make nice beads on 1/4 and 1/2" mandrels with nicely puckered ends (this is for the silver part of the class). It is also very helpful if you are good at encasing! I say advanced so that I don't get any beginner students in these classes that may slow down the class.........

I hope this helps and you can make it to a class sometime!

Take care,
Andrea

Old 2008-02-16, 10:46am
I'm not Barbie.

Andrea's class is awesome! If any of you have the chance,TAKE THE CLASS! She and Witt and THE NICEST PEOPLE I've met in a very long time. Go for it you guys!!!!!

Hi Andrea!!!
Old 2008-02-17, 7:06pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebeadz* View Post
Andrea's class is awesome! If any of you have the chance,TAKE THE CLASS! She and Witt and THE NICEST PEOPLE I've met in a very long time. Go for it you guys!!!!!

Hi Andrea!!!
Thanks Donna!!!!! It was great having you here!!!!!!! You guys are awesome!

Old 2008-02-18, 5:28am
Where's the coffee?

I would love, love, love to take your master/silver class, but it is a bit too far from home for me. Thank goodness I'll see you Thursday in Lafayette! Are there any special tools I should bring to class?

Old 2008-02-18, 10:36am

Andrea - I can make a decent bead with good puckers on up to 1/4" mandrels (that's the biggest I have right now) and am getting pretty good at encasing, so maybe I'd be ok? I learn quickly so I wouldn't end up slowing anyone down.

I know you're supposed to be teaching at Arrow Springs later this year, but the dates haven't been announced. Any idea when that might happen? I have to work things around DH's business travel and the kids' schedules, but I'd dearly love to take your class!

-Diane

My Facebook business page:

GTT Bobcat or Carlisle Lucio on an Integra 10
(and sometimes I pull out my HotHead!)

Last edited by Diane (clarus); 2008-02-18 at 10:41am.
Old 2008-02-18, 4:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonfireBeads View Post
I would love, love, love to take your master/silver class, but it is a bit too far from home for me. Thank goodness I'll see you Thursday in Lafayette! Are there any special tools I should bring to class?
Hi Angie!
I am looking forward to the class as well! I have heard nothing but great things about this group!
As far as tools go we will be doing some off mandrel work...... so if you have a tungsten poker and peters tweezers that would help.... I will have extras so don't worry! Jim Moore has made some new off mandrel tools that I will bring as well......

See ya Thursday!
Andrea

Old 2008-02-18, 4:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarus View Post
Andrea - I can make a decent bead with good puckers on up to 1/4" mandrels (that's the biggest I have right now) and am getting pretty good at encasing, so maybe I'd be ok? I learn quickly so I wouldn't end up slowing anyone down.

I know you're supposed to be teaching at Arrow Springs later this year, but the dates haven't been announced. Any idea when that might happen? I have to work things around DH's business travel and the kids' schedules, but I'd dearly love to take your class!

-Diane
Hi Diane!
Nothing has been scheduled for Arrowsprings this year....... Sounds like you would do great in the class!

Have a great day!
Andrea

Old 2008-02-18, 5:41pm
Channeling Chaos

Andrea-
Excited about the additional classes. I was also curious about Arrow Springs as they have you listed for a class, but TBD for '08. I would prefer to come out to your studio.

What is the weather like in November? I would just drive up from Eugene. The really cold/snowy weather doesn't hit until later - does it?
Thanks.
Alana
Old 2008-02-19, 9:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torcha View Post
Andrea-
Excited about the additional classes. I was also curious about Arrow Springs as they have you listed for a class, but TBD for '08. I would prefer to come out to your studio.

What is the weather like in November? I would just drive up from Eugene. The really cold/snowy weather doesn't hit until later - does it?
Thanks.
Alana
Hi Alana!
It "usually" doesn't get bad here at all! But the last 2 years we have had some snow in late November and December...... I guess ya just never know! Hopefully it will be another beautiful weekend here for the class!

Andrea

Old 2008-02-25, 6:58pm

the weather in port townsend is considerably milder than seattle. even when it rains its not bad . and being in andea's studio is fantastic. who cares about weather . lol....
Old 2008-03-09, 9:19am

Kathy you are awesome!

There are only a few spots left....... just thought I would give everyone an update.........

Andrea

Old 2008-03-25, 7:35pm
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torcha View Post
Andrea-

Thanks.
Alana
Piece of cake!! If I can make it along hwy 101 from Portland in the worst wind/rain storm we've had in years, you can!!!

Plus if I"m not coming to the class it probably won't snow

??
Old 2008-03-26, 4:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiB View Post
Piece of cake!! If I can make it along hwy 101 from Portland in the worst wind/rain storm we've had in years, you can!!!

Plus if I"m not coming to the class it probably won't snow
Kristi are you on your way? It snowed here today! LOL Class starts Friday!

Old 2008-03-26, 4:40pm
Formerly SirWatson

I'm all signed up for the first class in November and can't wait!

<><
Old 2008-03-26, 8:22pm
make beads not war

So am I! I'll be there for the first Winter class! woohoo... woohoo... So who's coming?
Old 2008-03-26, 10:09pm
Channeling Chaos

Awww Melissa, I will miss the St. Louis crowd. I am going up for a summer class in June.
Alana

Last edited by Torcha; 2008-03-26 at 10:09pm. Reason: change
Old 2008-08-19, 6:44pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I'm going!! I'm going!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!