Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-12-13, 10:43pm

Default Could this mean my OxyCon is not working right?

I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to pitch glass, torch, and oxycon all out with the trash!!! In the past week, I don't seem to be getting the heat from my torch that I'm used to, and the flame size looks more erratic. Now tonight, nearly everything I used clear on has a scorched tinge to it - and I don't usually scorch glass - at least not that badly. I'm using a Piranha and a Mobilaire V oxycon that I've had for about a year - I bought it on Ebay and have been pleased up until the past few weeks. I'm seriously considering changing to tanked oxy if that would help. More of what I've done lately has ended up water annealed instead of going into the kiln, most if it from burning/bubbling glass. I'm about ready to throw in the towel if I can't figure this out - I've got enough stress in my life without this.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Carol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-12-13, 10:51pm
PyronamixK

Have you cleaned your filter? You should be cleaning the filter about once a month and replacing it with a new one every year. Try that first and see if it helps. If it doesn't, then you may have to have it serviced.
Old 2006-12-13, 10:54pm

There are 2 foam intake filters, one on each side near the bottom. Are these what you mean? I did pull both of them and clean them tonight.
Carol

Old 2006-12-13, 11:44pm
PyronamixK

Yes, those are the ones. Make sure they are bone dry before you replace them.

While you're at it, you might as well clean your torch, too. Sometimes, a clogged torch can cause problems. Are your candles all pretty even? Or, are there any that seem excessively long with bigger yellow tips?

It sounds like you are slipping into a fuel-rich/oxygen poor flame - caused by either an increase in your fuel (fuel tank/regulator problem) or a decrease in your oxygen (concentrator problem).

Are you on propane or NG? If you are on propane, there could be a few things to look into...
  • Where is your tank located? If it is outside, it could be affected by cold weather. This could cause fluctuations in your flame. Try bumping up the pressure to 5-8 psi and see if it levels off.
  • At what pressure is your regulator set? Some regulators will fluctuate if they are set too low. Try bumping up the pressure and see if that helps. Also, a diaphragm going bad can cause fluctuations, too.

If none of the above applies, then it could mean that the problem is with your concentrator and it should be serviced.
Old 2006-12-14, 9:50am
Guera loca

Carol, I had this same problem a couple of years ago. A good cleaning of my torch took care of it. Hope your problem is as easily solved!

Barb

- our restaurant