LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-01-13, 11:53pm

Default Mashers... mashers... which ones to order?

I'm a new glass addict and I'm slowly building my collection of tools. My next purchase is good set of mashers.

After reading through many threads, I've learned that most folks LOVE their TP mashers, but I just can't justify their price at this early stage of my lampworking.

So... I have narrowed down my choice between Corina's Magic Mashers ($70/75) and Graceful Customs Squeeze-Me-Right mashers ($35/40). They seem similar in size, but I don't know enough about the materials (brass vs. stainless steel) or the mechanics of the mashers to decide if the cost difference is appropriate.

Folks in the threads seem to love Graceful Customs mashers, but I couldn't find any comments on Corina's, so I thought I'd request some feedback here.

So... anyone want to share their thoughts on the subject?? And while you're at it... any thoughts on which size is the most versatile? I really don't want to buy two pairs!

Thanks!
Old 2013-01-14, 12:13am

Graceful Customs in my humble opinion. Very nice tool line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-01-14, 12:14am
offically down under

Corina's tools are usually top quality.

I have a couple of Gracefull Customs mashers and I love, LOVE, love them. They are well built and compact compared to most of the mashers out there. And, they price is terrific. I live in a coastal area so cheap tools have a tendency to rust. I've had my Graceful Customs mashers for 2 years and they look brand new.

Old 2013-01-14, 3:59am

I have three Graceful Custom's tools, and they are really nice. Even if they were priced higher they would be a good deal. I've never tried any of Corina's tools. I have the TP and love it. I will say having part of it be graphite is worrisome; I have broken a graphite beadroller before by just dropping it on the table.
Old 2013-01-14, 5:30am

I have almost all of graceful customs tools.........they are easy to grip, they fit nicely in you hand and are extremely easy to use.

Old 2013-01-14, 6:07am

I love my Graceful Customs mashers! The quality is great and they are super easy to use. Word of warning - it took almost two and a half weeks for them to ship after I ordered them. Just a heads-up in case you are needing something quickly.

Sheralyn
Old 2013-01-14, 6:15am

I have never had an issue with shipping taking that long from Graceful Customs.

Old 2013-01-14, 8:41am
Lampworkaholic!

I hear there are fantastic and in your price range:

http://artisantoolworks.net/

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-01-14, 9:34am
I like to melt things

I love my graceful customs jumbo roll about mashers a lot.

I don't use my big parallel mashers for anything anymore. Everything I want to mash parallel can be mashed with my little tweezer mashers. Everything big I want to mash gets mashed with the rollabouts.

-
-
Old 2013-01-14, 10:10am
Co-owner

If you investigate the Artisan Toolworks TP2 Masher by Dave Lobely you will buy no other, good price, higher quality, great value. Ask Marie Lockwood at Serendipity her opinion. I did.

And no, I do not sell them...yet. I hope to twist his arm so I can run a Valentine day special on them. Meanwhile, Dave sells them direct on EBay. Tell him Robert sent you.

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2013-01-14, 11:46am

And for those on a budget, Frantz has mini and leaf mashers on sale right now, $7.50 each

Last edited by steiconi; 2013-01-15 at 12:32am.
Old 2013-01-14, 1:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I hear there are fantastic and in your price range:

http://artisantoolworks.net/
Apparently the TP2 is designed by the same person who designed the TP and he sells on Ebay. I have these mashers and they are the ones I use all the time. I have several other mashers, but since I got these I haven't used the others.
Old 2013-01-14, 6:21pm

Wow! Thanks so much everyone for the quick responses and great info! (I'm so glad I was referred to this forum!!)

I have some mini mashers and I use those now, but there just isn't always enough real estate or heft to them when trying to mash a larger blob of glass. So I've been looking for bigger ones. I tried a pair of the 'BBQ tong' mashers and they were just too stiff... I actually needed two hands just to squeeze it!

I thought I had searched every site possible for the TP / TP2 mashers, but I never came across the Artisan Tool Works site! That's about half price of what everyone else is charging for those! I'll check out eBay too

But now I'm back to the original quandary... what are the advantages / disadvantages to the materials used and the way each of these models work? I understand graphite is good for shaping / smoothing glass, brass is good for moving glass, and I think stainless is somewhat in between... but how does this really matter when we're talking about mashers where you're just trying to mash the glass to a thinner shape??

And while everyone raves about the TP / TP2 mashers, they seem to be a bit unwieldy to me... I have never actually held a pair, but just looking at the picture it seems like they would be.

So far everyone's responses regarding the Graceful Customs ones are luring me to save the money and just try those... but I want an opportunity to learn about why these other options might be worth the bucks!!

Thanks again!
Old 2013-01-14, 6:26pm
Now part of the Dark Side

Don't get graphite mashers if you are prone to dropping things, graphite does not bounce, stainless and brass do.
Old 2013-01-14, 8:16pm
offically down under

When I first started torching 8+ years ago, money was very tight. I couldn't spend the big bucks for Jim Moore of Carlo Dona tools and many of the cheaper versions were very poorly made. I stalked the garage sale to acquire what I could and either made do or figured out a way to make it work for me.

When Graceful Customs came out with their line, I immediately placed an order. 1. The quality of the product, 2. the size and 3. the price.

As these are popular items, they will hold their resale value should you want to change to a different system.

Old 2013-01-15, 12:08pm

I don't have the ones from Graceful, so can't speak to those. But, I do have the TP2 and they are terrific. Don't let the unwieldy look of them scare you off. They are of lightweight material (aluminum, maybe) and the pressing action is smooth. The other thing I really like about them is that you can get inserts. I bought the lentil and the curved one - like the long press. Easy to change out, great size....

Old 2013-01-16, 10:09pm

If you do go with Graceful just be ready to pay for priority shipping and not get it for a week or more. Not sure why they charge for priority shipping and not even send it out in the time it should actually take to arrive. The shipping communication takes just as long if not longer.

Might have good tools but one order will be all they get from me. They are not that big to be that slow.
Old 2013-01-16, 11:17pm

I have the Graceful mashers as well as the big old barbeque ones. I use the Graceful ones a lot.
Old 2013-01-17, 1:01am
Co-owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniceB2003 View Post
I'm a new glass addict and I'm slowly building my collection of tools. My next purchase is good set of mashers.

After reading through many threads, I've learned that most folks LOVE their TP mashers, but I just can't justify their price at this early stage of my lampworking.

So... I have narrowed down my choice between Corina's Magic Mashers ($70/75) and Graceful Customs Squeeze-Me-Right mashers ($35/40). They seem similar in size, but I don't know enough about the materials (brass vs. stainless steel) or the mechanics of the mashers to decide if the cost difference is appropriate.

Folks in the threads seem to love Graceful Customs mashers, but I couldn't find any comments on Corina's, so I thought I'd request some feedback here.

So... anyone want to share their thoughts on the subject?? And while you're at it... any thoughts on which size is the most versatile? I really don't want to buy two pairs!

Thanks!
We just signed up as an Artisan distributor. Our first order is due in a week. http://artisantoolworks.net/

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2013-01-21, 1:00pm

Hi all, I have been making beads now over 12 years and I have spent many dollars on tools that do not work and or worked poorly, that’s all in the past for me. I love my Graceful Costums tools. Graceful customs tools are loved not just by me but by many lampworkers around the world. Over the last 4 years we have had many lampwork artists stop by our studios, to take a class, join us in one our meetings for several clubs and bead groups & or just on their way somewhere, they stop by for a visit to see the whole operation of Graceful Customs. First off I am NOT in any way financially involved with this company but I have known the owners of Graceful Customs (Grace & Frank Santos) for 10 year.

One of the reasons they started a line of tools is because Frank made my Jelveh Designs key mandrel and I saw a need for better and more varied lampworking tools in the industry and encouraged him & Grace to make other tools, starting with my all time favorite the Hold me Tight & the ever famous Squeeze me Right Mashers. Yes, they are a small company, 2 people to be exact, with help from their son on the website. Frank has a good size shop with heavy, older machinery, all steel, that gives him the ability to do many operations on one tool or job. That, with his mechanical and engineering expertise makes him a very talented individual, sought after by Larger California farmers, food processing equipment companies and individuals who need a unique and precision product.

He personally does all the processes of each tool. So lampworking tools are not his only product. Being his shop is full of steel equipment, it is impossible to heat the shop and in the winter I see him work in very cold temperatures. Grace does everything else, from listings, photography, shipping and e-mails that is besides her day job. I know if they were to hire help, the cost of the tools would definitely increase, though I think with the quality they are now, they should be more expensive already, but Frank wants to make them as reasonable as he can and researches materials carefully before purchasing. We have had the conversation where I tell him you need to charge more and he says no I will charge what I need to pay for the materials and a bit more, folks cannot afford too expensive of tools. I know there are difficulties in listing shipping costs on any website, for multiple items, however, Grace has been refunding the extra costs paid after she ships the tools. What I really love above the goodness of these two people and their great tools, is that they are made in America. I don’t think you will find the quality and price elsewhere, but if you are not happy, please return your tool and Grace will refund your purchased price, (excluding the shipping) they do not want anyone not to be satisfied with their tools.
by the way you need any help with any of your tools send me a massage and I will help you as I can...
have a great bead making day...

Last edited by JelvehDesigns; 2013-01-21 at 1:19pm.
Old 2013-01-21, 3:20pm

well said Jelveh! I absolutely love their tools and could not and would not want to do without them.!!!!!!

Old 2013-01-21, 7:09pm

Gosh... I'm so glad I asked this question on this forum... you guys are the best!

I actually ordered the Graceful Customs mashers yesterday, and based on all the rave reviews I'm sure I'll be thrilled!

Thanks again!
Old 2013-01-23, 12:26am
Naysayer

When I started in '03 I took a strip of steel and bent it, I still use those
Old 2013-01-25, 9:23pm

Quote:
Gosh... I'm so glad I asked this question on this forum... you guys are the best!

I actually ordered the Graceful Customs mashers yesterday, and based on all the rave reviews I'm sure I'll be thrilled!

Thanks again!

I also just bought the graceful custom mashers, and their round about as well. Let me know when you get yours. I'm waiting on pins and needles for mine!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-01-27, 11:11am
Mary Lockwood

I love my super roundabout masher from Graceful Customs. I love it so much that it is the subject of my February newsletter's tool review.

I've used the same cheap parallel mashers for 10 years and never once considered upgrading to something new---UNTIL I felt what a good masher is supposed to feel like. I didn't know what I'd been missing.

Now I do know what I've been missing and I'm deciding which one of the Graceful Customs mashers I want next!

You'll be happy. Mine came in the mail really fast when I ordered.
~~Mary

Old 2013-01-27, 12:21pm

I just got my mashers and rod holder yesterday from Grace and used them for the first time in class last night... I LOVE THEM!!! My teacher got the large pair of mashers and she used them in demos and every time she commented how perfect they were!

A couple of other students had tool envy when they saw the rod holder... I think Frank and Grace might see a few more orders coming in! I'm definitely adding the larger ones and the disk shapers to my wish list... one tool at a time or my hubby might get jealous that my tool collection is growing faster than his
Old 2013-01-27, 2:23pm

Quote:
I just got my mashers and rod holder yesterday from Grace and used them for the first time in class last night... I LOVE THEM!!! My teacher got the large pair of mashers and she used them in demos and every time she commented how perfect they were!

A couple of other students had tool envy when they saw the rod holder... I think Frank and Grace might see a few more orders coming in! I'm definitely adding the larger ones and the disk shapers to my wish list... one tool at a time or my hubby might get jealous that my tool collection is growing faster than his
Thanks Janice, and everyone else, for positive and encouraging comments on your experience with our tools! We did have a sudden influx of new orders lately, so thank you. To review: Our policy is to ship within 5-7 working days from receipt of order, if it will be later, we will let you know (Frank took a rare 4 day vacation in Dec). Occasionally, we will have a sudden large volume of orders for a popular tool, like the disc shapers. Many customers are understanding and not in a hurry. Frank makes "handles" large and small, and finishes the needed tool when the order comes in.

Shipping: If you have a webstore, you know how difficult it is to accurately "pre-list" shipping costs of each and combined tools/mandrels, as weight and distance is what determines shipping costs. (If you do not have a Webstore, you will quickly find out when you set up one.) We try to combine multiple tools in a small flat rate box, however, some mandrels do not fit into it and require a tube! Our webstore gave us limited choices in shipping, so we chose the priority rate and weight option. Some tools can be shipped less expensively going first class, especially if the distance from us is short. So the smaller tools will go first class. We will refund you for all excess shipping costs.

The Etsy store gives us flexibility to more accurately list shipping costs. From experience, I keep adjusting shipping costs up and down to internationally countries and U.S.to be more accurate. Those prices are usually for first class, except for the heavier tools, which require a small flat rate box. And I can combine multiple tools in that size box. Except for 12 inch mandrels. (whew). So it is good to order with friends!
We do not make a profit on shipping. We have been refunding the excess shipping costs for some time now, hopefully I did not miss someone.

Our tools are priced as reasonable as possible without middle-people. Frank has been an engineer and welder for many years and knows his materials well, which will perform the best for the specific tool, and extremely particular about workmanship, thus hired help may not help Him, but may help me! Jelveh and a few other lampworkers have been of great assistance in designing and testing our tools and writing tuts. Many tools have been developed at the request of lampworkers who saw a need. We have made multiple customs tools as well. Personally, I have shipped the same day as ordered because that person wrote that she was in desperate need of it immediately, as she needed to make beads that weekend for an upcoming show and Frank was able to finish her tool. So please let me know if you have special needs and we will do our best to accommodate you. It is also better to e-mail me with any concerns or questions as we are out of the house most of the day and not available to receive phone calls. I am however, almost all the time checking my e-mails. We can always weigh your order prior to your placing the order to let you know almost exactly how much the shipping will be if you need that info! I think listing accurate shipping costs has been the biggest headache for me!
We have many times shipped at a higher cost to us than the actual fees collected on an order because we under-estimated.
Thank you again, all for your support, yes we are "small," and like it that way! Grace (BTW, we regularly run specials for L.E. members in the Sale Rack, and if you are an instructor and would like a particular tool used in your class, we offer student discounts for that class, let me know!)

Last edited by gracefulcustoms; 2013-01-27 at 6:18pm.
Old 2013-02-10, 4:45pm

This is the set of beads that introduced me to Graceful Customs:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...66#post4221366

Thank you Amber for explaining how you get that shape

Jelveh's post showing they were a family owned business clinched the deal.
My order from Graceful Customs came promptly, securely packaged and the tools were even wrapped in ribbon. They refunded some of my postage which was thoughtful. If it would have taken longer to receive my order, it wouldn't have mattered. I seek out family run businesses, especially those who make their own tools.

I'm in love with the size of the tools and need to get some more! They really put a lot of thought into the designs and the quality is first rate.

Now, for spring to come so I can turn on my torch again!

DeAnn

Minor Propane Oxycon SC2 Jim Moore Bead Press
Old 2013-02-10, 5:59pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I am waiting on my first order with Graceful customs and I cannot wait to have it in my greedy hands. I was able to test drive the tool before buying because a friend had one. It appears their tools are very well thought out and are top notch quality.

Old 2013-02-10, 6:01pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I tried to subscribe to your newsletter but the box with the code is cut short and so I cannot read the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I love my super roundabout masher from Graceful Customs. I love it so much that it is the subject of my February newsletter's tool review.

I've used the same cheap parallel mashers for 10 years and never once considered upgrading to something new---UNTIL I felt what a good masher is supposed to feel like. I didn't know what I'd been missing.

Now I do know what I've been missing and I'm deciding which one of the Graceful Customs mashers I want next!

You'll be happy. Mine came in the mail really fast when I ordered.
~~Mary