Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-03-24, 9:47pm
Dakine glass man

After 1 striking cycle
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-24, 9:52pm
Dakine glass man

Striking cycle 2 happening now

Old 2013-03-25, 6:52am

Gorgeous John!!!!!!

Alaska - thanks so much for the Fuji hint!

Old 2013-03-25, 7:14am

John ... beautiful seahorse. But the glass isn't purple

I like the color in the rod better.

Old 2013-03-26, 2:06pm
Dakine glass man

Yeah I'm getting more bright reddish pinks the more cycles I strike. Gonna attempt what I call watering down today and see what happens. I am striking everything else
For the 3rd time right now. Will post pics of those results soon too.

Old 2013-03-26, 6:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
Yeah I'm getting more bright reddish pinks the more cycles I strike. Gonna attempt what I call watering down today and see what happens. I am striking everything else
For the 3rd time right now. Will post pics of those results soon too.
Thanks so much for taking the time to experiment! I don't think I tried watering it down, only tried it over clear. Interested to see what you get!

Old 2013-03-26, 6:53pm
Dakine glass man

Think it was a little too much clear this time around. I did about 5-1.... It is striking a little, should be cooled down in a couple hours for pics. Then I'm gonna strike it for about a week to see what happens. Also the striking on the seahorse and jelly should be cool then too for photos. I'll mount it up and ship it to you in the next couple days.

Old 2013-03-26, 7:03pm

Quote:
Think it was a little too much clear this time around. I did about 5-1.... It is striking a little, should be cooled down in a couple hours for pics. Then I'm gonna strike it for about a week to see what happens. Also the striking on the seahorse and jelly should be cool then too for photos. I'll mount it up and ship it to you in the next couple days.
Soooo excited!

Old 2013-03-26, 9:30pm
Dakine glass man

It gets better the more you strike... I didn't phot the watered down test as it is still pretty transparent, but if what I'm seeing is correct, this color will rock after 3-5 cycles. The edge of the jelly wine stope became more vibrant with the extra striking too.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-26, 9:33pm
Loving learning

Question, when you say strike again, are you just putting it through another kiln cycle? I'm really clueless about boro, but aim to learn.
Oh, and that is gorgeous!
Old 2013-03-26, 9:42pm
Dakine glass man

I will probably run the seahorse 1 or 3 more times, but this one I'll just finish up and get in the mail......unless you want me to strike it a few more times to see what happens, but I don't see it changing much more.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-26, 9:52pm

Looks perfectly gorgeous to me, John!

Old 2013-03-26, 10:06pm
Dakine glass man

Cool, I'll get it done and shipped.

Eileen,
Yes striking it again means I'm dropping it below 500 (sometimes all the way to room temp) then back up to 1050-1150 for a bit (at least 10-15 min) and then back down. Colors like Mai tai pink require 3-5 cycles to really strike. I'm seeing the same kinda thing here with the morado.

Old 2013-03-26, 10:08pm
Loving learning

Thank you for explaining, I hope I can remember when I get something that needs that treatment.
Old 2013-03-26, 10:10pm
Dakine glass man

Pm me if you ever have a question

Old 2013-03-26, 10:24pm
Loving learning

Old 2013-03-27, 9:08am

Wow John that is GORGEOUS!!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2013-03-27, 10:25am
Dakine glass man

Hi Paula!!!

Old 2013-03-27, 11:05am

I just got back from IFC in Salem. We had a new Unique called "Green Murado"

Still have a couple pounds hiding if anyone wants to call

Old 2013-03-27, 11:07am
Dakine glass man

Damn You DaVE!! I'm calling now

Old 2013-03-27, 11:24am
Dakine glass man

swooped it up.

Old 2013-03-27, 11:24am
Dakine glass man

wanna sell me anything else dave? I like unique/ experimental/ limited run silver reactive and striking colors. I have 2 lbs on their way....might as well make it 10 and fill up the box

Last edited by Maui Greenstone; 2013-03-27 at 11:27am.
Old 2013-03-27, 6:33pm

I'll take two but you're closed right now. Will call you in the morning you enabler you!!!!!!!

Old 2013-03-27, 6:42pm
Dakine glass man

I think I got the last of it I think. I'll send you some sticks with your stopper.

Old 2013-03-27, 6:57pm

Dang it!!!

Old 2013-03-27, 8:04pm

I got some green morado from ABR at the IFC. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Please post pic if you can. I'd love to get some idea of how it works.
Old 2013-03-28, 1:13pm
Dakine glass man

Went from clear to this after 3 cycles. Onyx is the backing color.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-28, 1:14pm
Dakine glass man

I'm striking it again today. Will post more pics when it cools

Old 2013-03-28, 1:32pm

Default Jelly fish question

Hi John,
How do you get those perfect little bells on your jellyfish? I can never get mine to come out that way. Your UV jellies are very cool, by the way. Here's one so you can see what I mean.
Thanks,
Dave
ps. If it's a big trade secret, that's cool too.
D
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-28, 3:01pm

Quote:
Went from clear to this after 3 cycles. Onyx is the backing color.
All these gorgeous jellies make me want to put the mandrels away and start a new jelly journey. Awesome!!