Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-05-15, 1:30pm

Default Discontinued glass?

Hi all,

I just found out (purely by accident) about some colors that GA discontinued back in April, and I was wondering -- where do people get information about discontinued colors for the various companies? The colors I use tend to be ridiculously specific, so I'm panicking about this latest group (and worrying about the ones I don't know about )

Along the same vein, are there places to look for new colors released too? I hear about those quite a bit more on Facebook, but I'd love something less hit or miss!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-05-15, 2:50pm
Flamewoman

Sometimes I think GA only discontinues the colors I really need. I think they have discontinued Blush Ivory, Ivory Blush, Ruby Strike4 and who knows what is next? I'm not telling them what glass I love anymore, they just quit making it then.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-15, 8:14pm
Borovangelist

I'm on of the few that loves Paris Green 6.

As for new colors...good question. Used to be GA had their Revolution 33 (formerly Glasstique) lines where they did limited runs. Then they focused more on tubing and eventually new colors were another shade of green or blue and I stopped looking. That's of course when Lemondrop and Purple Rain showed up. Win some, lose some.

I think ABR often gets Northstar short runs and rares, so call and ask if they have anything fun and unusual on the shelf.

TAG lists their experiments on their site, have a look in the Rare and Special area of the site.

Momka occasionally has experimentals, but she tends to pick her testers by hand.

|
|
Old 2014-05-16, 3:10am

Ha! I'm getting that same feeling, Mary. Two of their latest ones (Twilight Chameleon and Clover Chameleon) I use all the time. The way I found out they'd discontinued Ruby Strike was because I needed some for an order I was working on and couldn't find any.

I'm with you, Tom -- I love both the Paris Greens. I'd heard that Paris Green 2 was discontinued, was 6 cut too? Sigh.

That's very good to know about ABR, TAG, and Momka, though! While looking around TAG's site just now I saw that they have a newsletter too, so I'll give that a shot.

Old 2014-05-16, 6:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneTreeStudio View Post
Ha! I'm getting that same feeling, Mary. Two of their latest ones (Twilight Chameleon and Clover Chameleon) I use all the time. The way I found out they'd discontinued Ruby Strike was because I needed some for an order I was working on and couldn't find any.

I'm with you, Tom -- I love both the Paris Greens. I'd heard that Paris Green 2 was discontinued, was 6 cut too? Sigh.

That's very good to know about ABR, TAG, and Momka, though! While looking around TAG's site just now I saw that they have a newsletter too, so I'll give that a shot.
TAG's site is not up to date. Email or call Jenny at TAG to find out what they have. I just scored some of the JPX ... red/mix sparkley stuff. She often has stuff laying around that wasn't or hasn't made it in a newsletter. But definitely sign up for the newsletter with each of the glass vendors. That's usually where you find out what is coming and what is going.

There are several colors I love that disappeared from Momka's site, but she never returned my email about them so I don't know what the future holds.

I knew that GA was getting rid of the frit for some of the colors but I totally missed that they were discontinuing producing those colors. Ack! I love anything "Chameleon".

Old 2014-05-16, 10:50am
Borovangelist

This was in a recent newsletter from MGA*:

Quote:
A Note From Glass Alchemy
We recently received this information from Glass Alchemy. We thought since many of you have been asking us at Mountain Glass about some of these topics we would pass it along for everyone.

Price Increase - Lemon Drop, Purple Rain, Rozay and Haterade
The new transparent line has taken the industry by storm! In order to get ahead of the demand, we are continuing to fill orders in the order they were received. We are making these colors on a daily basis, but the back order list continues to grow. For these transparent colors to be as air free as possible, they need to be cooked for a long time at high temperatures. As a result, they are taxing the infrastructure, which leads to the price increase. Raising the cost will bring these new colors closer in line with the actual cost to produce them.
Rozay = $90/lb Lemon Drop = $100/lb Haterade = $90/lb Purple Rain = $100/lb

Price Increase - 4mm Rod
In days gone by, we used to sell 20-30 lb of a color in 4mm per year. We are now receiving orders for 20-30 lb of 4mm color at a time. it takes much longer to pull 4mm and we are unable to absorb this increase in demand. In an effort to bring the price in alignment with actual cost, we will increase the retail per pound price by $10.00 on all 4mm color rods.

Update on Haterade
After releasing the color, we received feedback that the color was too light and did not stand up well next to the other transparent colors. As a result, we put production on hold and reworked the formula. We now have a new and improved formula, which is more saturated and vibrant than before.

Retired Colors
Jasper Red, Clover Chameleon, Agua Chameleon, Paris Green-6, Twilight Chameleon, Neptune Sparkle, Amazon Canyon, Black Pearl.
*I didn't ask to paste that in, if they get upset I'll pull it down at their request.

|
|
Old 2014-05-16, 1:44pm

3 of my favorite GA colors are in that Retired list. Shit.

Old 2014-05-16, 6:29pm
Borovangelist

Horde 'em now

Some of my favorite glass is from a company that doesn't even exist anymore, so I feel your pain.

|
|
Old 2014-05-17, 7:24am

Well, phooey! Another few I love on that list. Guess I'd better try to stock up

Old 2014-05-21, 9:24am

your not alone, Menty. i love the paris green as well...and wish to hell that i bought more of it during the feb sale.
Old 2014-05-27, 8:15am

From what we know as a distributor, GA has a huge demand for their newer colors that they've had trouble keeping up with. They have been really trying to produce enough to meet that demand. So, they had to retire some colors that are the least popular, and with the most expense involved in producing, in order to open up oven availability. So, it is a trade off. Lose some oldies, but gain more access to the new exciting colors. Hard to say if it's a good trade off or not yet. If you have no use for their new transparents (Rozay, Haterade, Purple Rain, and Lemon Drop) than you are likely to dislike this move. If you love these new colors, you should be happy about it, because they should soon be more accessible to eveyrone.

Old 2014-05-27, 5:48pm
Borovangelist

That's a mixed blessing, like when Slyme got easier to obtain suddenly it was in everyone's work. Purple rain and Lemon Drop are the new Slyme.

Holding back on production might actually help them more.

|
|
Old 2014-05-28, 1:19pm
Flamewoman

I don't know what all the excitement is about with these clear colors, I only use them for bails on my pendants, they must have a purpose I don't know about, maybe fuming or pipes, which I don't make. So if you are a big fan of the clear stuff, what do you do with it?

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2014-05-28, 5:26pm
Borovangelist

It blows out nicely when you make vases, vessels, ornaments, etc. It's nice to layer with too, like putting some over a TAG sparkle color gives some neat effects.

|
|
Old 2014-05-29, 8:42am

It's all the rage in the pipe world, which is what is creating the demand for it.

Old 2014-05-29, 9:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
I don't know what all the excitement is about with these clear colors, I only use them for bails on my pendants, they must have a purpose I don't know about, maybe fuming or pipes, which I don't make. So if you are a big fan of the clear stuff, what do you do with it?
Lol -- I'm on the other end of the spectrum -- I wish they'd make more of it! A lot of what I make hangs/dangles, so the transparents just look better (plus, a lot of the really interesting colors look atrocious with light coming through them, which is limiting in a different way). For me, though, the current run of really light colors doesn't do much. I work with really thin stringers, so they're not appreciably different than clear for my purposes. If I was putting together a wish list, I would love to see a nice emerald green or deep purple ... though, to be perfectly fair, what I usually want in a wish list is "that exact color I'm imagining right this minute, and it should be perfectly well-behaved in the flame", which might be a bit unfair to expect of anyone I've been thinking about trying out color mixing just to see what I can come up with -- I'm hoping smooshing together transparents to make something new is a lot simpler than blending silver glasses into something useful would be

Last edited by LoneTreeStudio; 2014-05-29 at 9:59am.
Old 2014-05-29, 10:02am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
From what we know as a distributor, GA has a huge demand for their newer colors that they've had trouble keeping up with. They have been really trying to produce enough to meet that demand. So, they had to retire some colors that are the least popular, and with the most expense involved in producing, in order to open up oven availability. So, it is a trade off. Lose some oldies, but gain more access to the new exciting colors. Hard to say if it's a good trade off or not yet. If you have no use for their new transparents (Rozay, Haterade, Purple Rain, and Lemon Drop) than you are likely to dislike this move. If you love these new colors, you should be happy about it, because they should soon be more accessible to eveyrone.
That's good to hear -- not necessarily good that I might be losing glass colors, but a logical move on their part, anyway. Plus, new colors are always fun. I do wish there was a master list somewhere, though, that said "ok, these are done" so I know to either buy more or stop planning to use the color for something down the road.

Old 2014-06-08, 7:39pm
funny mofo

Oh no. I love Paris Green 6 too. Guess I'll be buying some tomorrow!