Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-08-19, 11:48am
Fire and Fluidity

Default Purple boro!

Hi everyone,

I noticed that my recent work was seeming dull, not enough color and I had been working in the green spectrum for too long. So I spent a whole day in the studio working on PURPLE, thinking "if Brent can do it, so can I." This is what I came up with. The background on the bodies is either white or one of the heavy silver colors like silver sands or caramel. The PURPLE comes from various combinations of GA's triple passion, solara and clear. The purple loops are solid rods of these remixed combinations.

Since this forum seems so hidden, I posted these in the gallery also.

Yesterday I worked with Momka's Stormy Weather. What an incredible glass!!!!!!!!!!! I got purple, blue, green and all shades in between out of one remixed rod!! Pics later.

-Don-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-19, 12:31pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

holy shit! those are incredible!!!

Old 2007-08-19, 12:51pm

WOW Don! Gorgeous colors. Various combinations huh? Will try it!

Rose

Old 2007-08-19, 1:06pm
Fire and Fluidity

Have fun Rose! My best combination was about 1/3 TP 1/3 solara 1/3 clear. Mix, but not too much, then "burn the snot out of it" as Brent would say, (heat until clear,wear your dark glasses), draw rod, flame strike to see what it looks like, then use it on a piece.

-Don-

Last edited by fyrsmith; 2007-08-19 at 1:16pm.
Old 2007-08-19, 3:06pm
Serenity Now!

Niiice!!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-08-19, 3:09pm
Satake Woman!

pretty slick!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2007-08-19, 3:18pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Sweet! Nice way to get a real good purple. Nice heart I too wanted purple so I tried "purple urple" Man did that stuff boil easily.
Kare

Old 2007-08-19, 4:06pm
Pyromaniac

Gorgeous, Lana
Old 2007-08-19, 4:09pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post
Yesterday I worked with Momka's Stormy Weather. What an incredible glass!!!!!!!!!!! I got purple, blue, green and all shades in between out of one remixed rod!! Pics later.
What do you mean by a remixed rod? Lana
Old 2007-08-19, 4:29pm

I think he means to make a gather of the three colors, mix it, pull it back into a rod shape, and then use that to make your piece. It is a really great way to use up short bits that you have on your bench.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-08-19, 8:35pm
Mandrel Slayer

Just beautiful Don.

Thanks for the tips Eric. I was wondering how I could use my boro ends.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2007-08-19, 9:35pm
I'm too sexy for my shirt

Beautiful!!!!

#K58
Old 2007-08-20, 12:32am
Fire and Fluidity

Actually, while I do remix shorts from my bench to get larger useable rods, what I meant here is different. I take a rod as it comes from the maker and melt and stir a lot of it and redraw it into a rod the diameter I need for whatever I am doing. There are two advantages to doing this. First, if you have a rod with bubbles in it, or if it is a color that tends to bubble, like most whites, doing this can make it smoother and easier to use. Second, when you remix new glass, you have control of the chemical characteristics of the flame(oxidizing or reducing), so you can get different effects, especially for glasses that strike and those with a lot of metal in them.
For instance, one of my favorite blues is NS turquesa. I comes as a transparent blue that is almost indistinguishable from medium cobalt. But because it has a small amount of silver in it, when you remix it in a reducing flame you get a beautiful smokey blue. Momka's Stormy Weather is one that benefits from this. The rods I have are a kind of ugly "landlady green" as received. But look at what happens when it is remixed and flame struck!!!!!!

This rod was remixed directly from what I got from Momka, with nothing added and it really looks like this! Of course, the trick is to keep those colors when you are using it in a piece. I'll repost this when I post the pics of the hearts I was using it in today (still in the kiln)

-Don-

Last edited by fyrsmith; 2007-08-20 at 12:34am.
Old 2007-08-20, 4:27am
Serenity Now!

Holy SMOKES Don!! WOW! Can't wait to see your finished hearts...

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2007-08-20, 7:01am

Don, do you mix all this together as one?

Have fun Rose! My best combination was about 1/3 TP 1/3 solara 1/3 clear. Mix, but not too much, then "burn the snot out of it" as Brent would say, (heat until clear,wear your dark glasses), draw rod, flame strike to see what it looks like, then use it on a piece.

Thanks

Old 2007-08-20, 7:15am

Don, sweet hearts, literally!
Old 2007-08-20, 9:28am
Fire and Fluidity

Good morning Rose,
What I do is put a stripe of the first color and a stripe of the second color on a clear rod, so the proportions are defined by the thickness of the stripes. Then I twist and fold to mix the glass. Not mixing completely leaves striations of color in the pulled rod, which I like.

-Don-

Old 2007-08-20, 1:27pm

Thanks Don. Off to the torch to play. It's always fun to try new techniques.

Rose

Old 2007-08-21, 5:35am
Life is Short,Art is Long

Don,

Those are fabulous. I am drawn to the greens and browns, but wow, looks like purple will be my next experiment. Thanks so much for sharing the colors and your technique.