No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-23, 5:29pm
Always with a smile!

Default curved mandrels and press

Does anyone have any experience with these? I just saw them and couldn't resist a purchase with some ideas running through my brain?
Thanks
Jill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Old 2007-09-23, 5:30pm
Word to your mother

Do you mean the unflippable press? I have it and love it. It takes a LOT of glass...but it's a great canvas.

Old 2007-09-23, 5:35pm
Always with a smile!

Hi Kendra!
I ordered the curved mandrels, the unflippable press and the curved press. Can't wait to try them! Thanks for the info!
Jill

) and
)
Old 2007-09-29, 11:03pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have the curved mandrel and press. I really like the shape. If you have a lot of experience with presses, it's not too hard to master. Here are some samples of the banana bead with the mandrel and the curved press:
Attached Images

Ebay:
Old 2007-09-29, 11:05pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I am sorry the other picture is not loading for some reason.

Ebay:
Old 2007-09-30, 7:21am
Gone Fishing!

Kendra... do you ever have any problems getting a bead off that mandrel. I have the same ones and I can get the bead all the way to the end of the mandral but then it just gets stuck... any hints?

Ebay Id: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Etsy ID: ArtglassbyHollyYoung
Old 2008-08-19, 2:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Horse Studio View Post
Kendra... do you ever have any problems getting a bead off that mandrel. I have the same ones and I can get the bead all the way to the end of the mandral but then it just gets stuck... any hints?
I have the same problem! They don't want to come off. I have tried different bead releases, working the glass at different temps and working at different places on the curve. Only time I can get them off is if I've double-dipped the mandrel and make the bead near the tip (lose part of the curve.) Anyone with suggestions? Help!!!

Kathleen
Old 2008-08-19, 5:56pm
In spite of it all!

I soak mine for 2 days... not sure I need to do it that long.. but the longer the bead release has to soften the easier it is to come off the mandrel. I wrap a cloth at the end of the bead then push it off with some good plyers on the outside of the cloth inching it up. Wonder how Jill is doing it?? I bet after a year she has mastered exactly what works. What type of bead release are you using?

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2008-08-19, 10:09pm
More ideas than talent

I rock them ever so gently (the lentils that is). Takes me about 20 min to get it off the mandrel...

Old 2008-08-21, 2:32pm

I've used Fusion Bead Separator and Foster Fire (recommended on website for curved mandrels.) I tried 1 or 2 others but I'm not remembering which they are. Do you use a release that has really helped?
Kathleen