Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-07-24, 8:59am

Default Where to look for cheap oxy tank

I've been watching Craigslist for a couple months, and I never see anything but the tiny medical oxygen tanks come up for sale. Is there another place I should be looking for used tanks, or should I just spring for a new one from Airgas/Praxair? I think the last time I priced them, an K size (would rather have something a bit smaller like an S or H) was approaching $500.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 2014-07-24, 12:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrassGlass View Post
I've been watching Craigslist for a couple months, and I never see anything but the tiny medical oxygen tanks come up for sale. Is there another place I should be looking for used tanks, or should I just spring for a new one from Airgas/Praxair? I think the last time I priced them, an K size (would rather have something a bit smaller like an S or H) was approaching $500.

Thanks,
Josh
thats outrageous. cheaper to rent and to continue to look.
Old 2014-07-24, 2:03pm
Alaska Boro

One would think that in your large metro area there would be a significant number of oxygen tanks available. Many show up here on our local CL.

Also take a look at used oxygen acetylene cutting touch sets and if the cost is right just use the oxygen tank and store the acetylene tank.

If buying on CL, make sure that your local welding firm will refill. Many will trade out the tank for a filled one of the same size. Some will not and assume the tank is stolen. So buyer beware!
Old 2014-07-24, 3:45pm
Dix Harrison

Yes. Yes!

I second that advice. If you buy from Craig's List, read the top of the tank and call your refill facility. BE sure they will fill the tank. My refill guys said they would be happy to advise me so I don't waste my money. Reassurance is only a phone call away.
Old 2014-07-24, 4:52pm

Yes, tank is no good if you can't fill it. I found one in a parking lot where someone had dumped a bunch of stuff. Nobody will fill it. The business name with which it is tagged is defunct.
Old 2014-07-24, 5:50pm
I fart diamonds

You might want to check around a little more. Several places around here will swap a defunct company's tank after hydro testing. They just won't work with an active company's tanks.

And if you're looking for a tank to use with a Homefill, it doesn't matter what's stamped on the neck cause you'll be filling your own!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by shawnette; 2014-07-24 at 5:52pm.
Old 2014-07-24, 7:52pm

Alaska, I kind of thought there would be plenty of used ones for sale around here too, but they are all tiny-assed portable medical tanks from all the people who died of emphysema. Too small to be useful. The acetylene torch sets I've seen for sale also have very small tanks. I'm wanting this to go along with a Homefill, so refilling isn't an issue as long as it's not defective.
I bought a bunch of stuff to build my own low pressure oxygen storage system, but I have little time to even work glass, let alone rig together something that will likely always be inferior to a Homefill system and only a few hundred bucks less. It looks like Salt City has Homefills for $700 (+ $150 for the whip), and I think I am going to bite.
I did find that Praxair has an S size cylinder for $260. That could be a winner.
Old 2014-07-25, 1:49am
Alaska Boro

The little COPD tanks will not work well for lampworking purposed as you have indicated. Just not enough cubic feet.

For a home fill it is not necessary to fill to 2000 psi. Many stop at 1500 or so. Capacity is reduced, but then so is the filling time. If more capacity is needed add a high pressure manifold and add another tank or two.

Some prefer to use a Gast pump with a 60 gallon tank for oxygen at about 100 psi. The logic is that if one only needs 30 psi why pump up to 1500/2000. The downside is that additional concentrators are needed in order to keep supply and demand in check.

Check out the melting pot for some nice threads on home fill systems.
Old 2014-07-25, 9:09am

Yes, I have a 30 gallon tank and a Hurricane concentrator and the pump (not a Gast, but an oilless one that matches my concentrator's output). I'm wanting to get off the concentrator because I'm sick of working glass with all the noise from the concentrator and the ventilation...and the portable air conditioner, because it's about 120 in my garage when it's 100 outside.
Can't do much about the ventilation noise, but at least I can turn the concentrator off if I am running from 1500 PSI tanked. Even a 60 gallon tank would only let me run without a concentrator for about an hour. That's why I want to go with the Homefill.