Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-10-21, 10:17pm

Default reactive yellow?

Hi,
I am looking for a boro color that would react nicely on black, react with clear, and comes out in shades of yellow, light beige.

I want to put it on a black backgroud.

and I am looking for one that will give different hues of color, like green amber purple yields different shades of blue on a black background.

So far what I tried always seems to turn with lots of blues, (caramel colors).
I really want yellows.

Anyone knows colors that could do that?
thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-22, 5:17am
Pyromaniac

Have you tried the various transparent / striking yellows? I personally love Solara One thing: They are related to the amber-purples and will strike/haze/react much the same. They just tend to stay closer to the "yellow to orange" range unless you really work at it.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-10-22, 5:43am
ManBearPig

I would try something like Warm Yellow or Yellow Elvis.

Solara is more of an orange/purple and would probably be too dark for what you're doing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-10-22, 5:48am

ns yellow
Old 2010-10-22, 11:17am
Harold Williams Cooney

butterscotch, tan silver creek, silver creek, jamboree . . .

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-10-22, 11:41am
Mandrel Slayer

GA Singular Passion

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.
Old 2010-10-22, 1:35pm
Somebody's watching me!

This is NS-09 yellow with a silver fume twisted inside.
Attached Images

Old 2010-10-22, 1:43pm
Pyromaniac

Everytime I've used ELY or Warm Yellow on Black I get greens and blues.
I'm wondering if Butterscotch or one of the parramore or borostix colors might give you more of what you are looking for and stay yellow. The last two won't react with the black per se but would give you yellow. Even Momka Cloud might be worth a try but I don't know what it does on black.

You could play with not striking too and see if that helps.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2010-10-22, 6:49pm

thanks!
never tought of jamboree!
I will search my Northstar sampler pack again and run experiments
thank so much for the infos and picture!
ns yellow looks pretty interesting

Old 2010-10-22, 9:13pm
Somebody's watching me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malem View Post
thanks!

ns yellow looks pretty interesting
I should have flame struck this more with less silver fume...i like the orange "heart" that is forming in the middle of the piece.

also, i think jamboree is purple and from GA...unless im missing something here.

good luck

justin

Old 2010-10-23, 10:07am

Jamborre even turned close to black for me. I consider it a "surprise" color! but didn't play with it much. That's why I wasn't thinking of using it,
The Northstar yellow on the pic is a pretty good color for what I want. Now need to see how it reacts with black and no silver fuming. My ventilation is not good enough to try this for now. I have a new fan and waiting for tubing and parts to install it! 2 more weeks to wait and then it will be much better!

Old 2010-10-23, 11:34am
Somebody's watching me!

ill slap that yellow on a black back ground for you and have a pic up for you soon..maybe tonight

Old 2010-10-24, 10:01am

super cool!
I played yesterday with caramel. butterscotch yellow crayon and yellow 09
astonished - they all came out blue!!!! very nice but blue !
they were mixed with clear and sometumes black
go figure!

Old 2010-10-24, 11:13am

try butterscotch or silver strike, striped on a clear rod, then mixed lightly so you have streaks of the color suspended in the clear. then use that on your background.

and crank that o2, it sounds like you are reducing the colors
Old 2010-10-24, 12:40pm
Somebody's watching me!

here is the original one posed..then on the right is the one with the black background (ns onyx). Keep in mind this is the only two times i've used this color, so after reading the previous comment, i may have not had enough oxygen in the piece. You can see a portion of the bottom is not yucky. This is when i cranked the oxy for a smaller flame to burn off punti mark. clearly, oxygen was my problem for the rest of the piece. Good luck in your endeavors with reactive yellows!
Attached Images

Old 2010-10-24, 2:42pm

thank you so much!
I will try cranking up the oxy tonite and see
but the bottom seems redish purpleish not really yellow and the top bleu like mine

Old 2010-10-24, 4:23pm

Another on to toss into the mix is Momka yellow pearl. It's almost porcelain-like but might look nice w/other yellows. I use it a lot.

Old 2010-10-24, 6:59pm

hum
sounds good
I will check it out
thanks

Old 2010-10-25, 12:48pm
Pyromaniac

I really think that there is something about using black that reacts with these colors and the black gets fumed so you see green or blue. Maybe someone else knows why but it always seems to happen when I use yellow, warm yellow, ELY, butterscotch or any of the amber purple type colors.

I'm interested to see if someone can get good ole' plain yellow with these colors against black with flame chemistry or controlling the striking.
I suspect it may be better to use a WYSIWYG color.

Old 2010-10-25, 1:09pm

I will give it a try tonite!
but I wanted to have a reaction in the color to...
maybe with the clear it can do the trick... let's see!

Old 2010-10-25, 1:11pm
Pyromaniac

Here's another interesting thread on the blue-green effect with black:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ellow%2C+black

Pjmarchwinds is on to something . . . if you took your yellow and encased it and then pulled it out into a rod and used it on the black, I wonder if it would show the blue green effect? Now you've got me wanting to do science experiments!

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2010-10-25 at 1:19pm.
Old 2010-10-25, 1:32pm

thanks! amazing thread... exactly explains what I get!
Yes the blues are super nice... and I love them.
But my quest is yellow for now. I keep the blue pendants, they are very nice...
I will try encasing the yellow reactive, maybe that will work, good idea!!
can't wait for tonite to play!

Old 2010-10-26, 9:09am

encasing the yellow and silver strike worked, I applied them to a yellow crayon background instead of black and it I finally got the yelllow.
Not much texture or reaction tough...
I think I should try now, not encased on a yellow background.
But on the black I got now yellow as they are transparent and the casing prevented the reaction... so that didn't work. I didn't do a full piece tough, just a drop came black...so I figured it wouldn't work, and logically it wouldn't either.

Old 2010-10-26, 11:02am
Pyromaniac

Would love to see pictures of your experiments if you want share.

Old 2010-10-26, 12:48pm
Pyromaniac

A thought: Encase the black

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2010-10-26, 1:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
too funny as I was just thinking, why not encase the black in clear first then apply the yellow.....but I havent tried it.

When painting with acrylics or watercolors, most yellows on black turn olive green or have green hues so it doesnt surprise me that the same holds true in glass....
Old 2010-10-26, 3:18pm

sure, I think it would benefit everyone.
I will take some and post.

Old 2010-10-27, 5:16am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Great idea Chris!!! Makes so much more sense so the black isn't affected but the yellow can still strike. Why didn't I think of that?

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2010-10-27 at 5:48am.
Old 2010-10-27, 5:24am
the german guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I would try something like Warm Yellow or Yellow Elvis.

Solara is more of an orange/purple and would probably be too dark for what you're doing.

me too i had some warm yellow and some yellow elvis and i liked the elvis more
Old 2010-10-27, 9:43pm

Today, I tried the encased yellows stringers on black to see... BLUE! a super nice blue tough!!
I will try encasing the black next. I tought of that today to.
When I get a chance, for now I have to make some flower implosions and pendants, dragon sculptures etc... shows are coming up!