Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-04-27, 3:41pm

Default My First Gallery Grand Opening this weekend -- advice, suggestions

Hi HI All Fellow artists and sister artists, I am preparing for my first Gallery opening this weekend. It is an art co-op with several artists joint effore together. I sure would appreciate any advice from all of you. Thank you so much...Torching on coffee . an all night glass melting tonight for me. Thanks guys.
Old 2009-04-27, 4:07pm

Hi, good luck and have fun. My advice is:

Try & be yourself, wear your own work.
Bring plenty of biz cards.
I like having a couple rods, a twistie or 2, a couple beads on mandrels, maybe a strip of dichro etc... all in a small decorative jar for conversation. (I grab them out as props when I am explaining)

Most people have no idea how beads are made....so I also have a picture of me at the torch (a small B&W a friend had taken) that I put in a small easel. Helps give a visual.

Make sure your work is priced & arranged in layers & levels.

Have a mirror (people LOVE looking at themselves!)

Take the opportunity to network with people & other artists. Being a lampworker is isolating & this is an opportunity to gain information & insight that you will bring back to torch with you.

Elevate your table if you are able. (I use PVC pipe) More comfortable for "lookers" and keeps little hands away.

Have fun!!!. Watch your customers, other artists, how things are displayed etc. Make notes on what you will do different next time. This is all a process & you will keep changing things with each event.

Do not measure your success by how much money you make. At one of my worst attended shows a gal left her card. MY DH was watching my booth for me. Later, she had her "jewelry buyer" contact me. I got into 11 stores with some of my jewelry. I had no idea that was possible or even that that was her intent!

Lastly, if you decide to do more shows & whether you just sell the beads or make jewelry with them...it is more profitable to take credit cards. My sales went up considerably when I added that feature.

Wishing you the best
Jolene
Old 2009-04-27, 5:07pm

Good Luck--and most of all have fun!!!!